GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the trooper was probably just doing his job, but this is not right.
The story does not say if anything else is being looked into. This was posted on Atlanta's WSBTV channel 2 website -

Deputies: Trooper Caused Crash, Wasn't Ticketed

POSTED: 6:52 am EST November 10, 2006
UPDATED: 10:00 am EST November 10, 2006

SUMMERVILLE, S.C. -- Authorities say a South Carolina state trooper contributed to a crash that caused a motorcyclist to lose his leg, but deputies decided not to write him a ticket.

Trooper Paul Ramsing the third was responding to a crash last month when he tried to pass another vehicle across a double-yellow line on U.S. Highway 78 when his patrol car hit a motorcycle.

Rodney McKanna of Ladson flew off his motorcycle and into a ditch filled with mud and water.

McKanna's left foot was so badly dislocated that blood flow was interrupted and doctors had to amputate his leg below the knee. His wife says he is still in the hospital.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I do believe the more important thing will be how much money switches hands. I suspect the state will be paying a bundle to the poor person on the cycle as well as all med. care.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Without knowing any of the facts it is kind of hard to say if a ticket would be justified or not.

I would think the SCHP will be reviewing the accident to see if any policies were violated. If so the punishment will likely be much more severe than the ticket would have been.

It is also likely the local prosecutor will be reviewing the case to see if any charges are justified. I don't know about SC, but here the state has one year to file traffic charges, longer for some criminal charges. We often don't issue tickets in serious injury/death accidents until the investigation is completed and the prosecutor has reviewed the case. We have had problems in court in the past with issuing traffic tickets at the scene and later trying to file more serious charges.

How they have to proceed is dependant on how the laws are written and how the judges want things done.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just from the information given, I would think the trooper would be in hot water for crossing a double line to pass. I also think the person driving the cage the officer was having to go around should be charged with something causing the officer to cross the double line. Of course the road may not have any shoulder but too many times I see people sit in the lane and just look at the lights behind them.... Those are the times we need a "he needed killin' Law"...

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I would be willing to bet .. if it was anyone except a LEO... whom ever
would have gotten a ticket...
and I surely hope the state has to pay all his medical bills... plus
help that unfortunate fellow financally..

cosmic

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It's probably like Leonard says. No citations or charges issued until the investigation is complete. The officer can still be declared at fault for the accident without receiving a ticket.

Besides, the department's punishment for the officer would be more costly than for failure to use due care.

That's why running code 3 is so dangerous. So many things can happen to the officers and to innocent drivers.

Dep

·
Registered
424 Posts
I live in Ladson just off Hwy 78 and I never heard of the accident. The name of the biker isn't familiar either. Hwy 78 is 2 lanes with no shoulder. It's a very dangerous road with just normal traffic. It is used as a shortcut by tens of thousands of people on their way to the interstate in the mornings and evenings. The area is totally built up with more housing going in all the time. There are only 3 traffic lights to control twice as many heavy intersections and dozens of entrances to industrial parks and subdivisions. The only time I ever locked up the brakes on the wing was on this road. There are ditches on both sides of the road with no place to pull over. The speed limit is 45mph. In the 6 years I've lived here I've seen dozens of accidents. I had someone turn left in front of me just today. Any high speed on this road is unsafe in my opinion.

All that being said, I hear sirens all the time going and coming up and down the highway. There are a lot of bars on this road and plenty of drunks I'm sure when the bars close.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The accident occurred on October Th. The trooper was running with lights and siren to another accident in the area. The SCDPS is conducting an internal investigation, but has not posted any findings as of yet.

On a personal note, I happen to know the trooper involved. He is a compassionate professional who has many years of experience. I can not speak to what happened with this accident as I don't know all of the facts.

I hope that the rider recovers quickly, and that a dedicated officers career is not judged on one tragic situation.

Any one of us could be involved in an accident at any time, and be at fault. Does that make you a monster?

Just my humble opinion

Steve Meadows

28 year LEO Veteran

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well lets burn all the troopers for one mistake, wonder how many lives they saved that very same day

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't think we need to take the trooper out and shoot him. It sounds like he made a bad choice with only a split second to do so. I don't think he went to work that morning with the intent to cut off a guys leg. Yes, accidents do happen. It just gets amplified 10 times when an LEO does it. No amount of money can replace a body part, but I'm sure the state will be writing the biker a nice check.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
oldguy said:
I do believe the more important thing will be how much money switches hands. I suspect the state will be paying a bundle to the poor person on the cycle as well as all med. care.
Most..."most" city/state have a very LOW amount they can be held libel for!!! I dont know what that amount is in that state??Maybe some one from that state can find out?? The officer should be treated like everone else!! But it will probably NOT happen (lack of ticket ) He crossed the centerline!!! You or I would probably gotten a ticket!!..."Same old same old "different laws for different people (think the govener or whatever he was that ran a stop sign & killed the guy!!! a slap on the wrist!!) We will see...chuck ....my feeling the guy will get SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Some states have laws that mean an officer acting in the line of duty can receive a ticket, but it doesn't go on his drivers record. Nor do any points for accidents etc.

I was chasing a stolen car once. I hit them in the ass. Minor damage. No big deal. there was an accident report taken, but no ticket given. It doesn't matter. There are much larger issues at hand. And the investigating officers understand that. No reason for a ticket........it is going to be bad enough.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
An Arizona State patrolman lost his job and went to jail a few years ago for an accident he caused while running code 3.

·
Registered
598 Posts
chuck (if that is your name) I agree, he should be treated like anyone else. He should get his little ticket, pay the little fine and go on with life like nothing ever happened.

Unfortunately, he is a Law Enforcement Officer and will be held to a higher standard. He will be(already has been) tried in public forum and crucified. He very well could loose his career and everything he has ever worked for.

I doubt you will ever get the chance, but, I would like to see you walk a mile in his shoes just once. Maybe if you had a mother scream in your ear "why didn't you get here quicker, you could have saved my child's life" you would understand. Maybe, just maybe, if you had watched someone's life slip from their body because none of the looky-lou's tried or knew how to stop the blood flow at the crash scene.

Oh forget it, I don't know why I bother.

I'm going to edit out the rest before I even type it. You wouldn't understand :(

Paul H.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The same trooper cost the state almost $300,000 several years ago when he "accidentally" shot a suspect in the rear end as he was running away from him. I am too close to the real facts of this case to comment further.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Rinkopr said:
Those are the times we need a "he needed killin' Law"...
I think Texas has that law .. i'll check on it ... 8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
A most unfortunate situation, however I was "Not" there, so I can't comment.

Before you can become a Trooper anywhere, you have to be human. Therein lies the rub.

What we are talking about here, is an accident that was caused by a Trooper, while performing his duties. Hence, the loss of a leg, plus other injuries and assets.

Just about every day in the paper, I read "No tickets were issued at this time, an investigation continues".

OK, lets get back to the subject: Trooper caused an accident, Man lost a leg, no tickets issued! What in the Sam Hill would a ticket do for anyone at this time? Assign culpability, guilt, what?

One can be sure, that at the right time, guilt will be assigned, compensation will be awarded and the guilty party will be punished.

Just because one is a "Trooper" does not make anyone infallible. Troopers are just as capable as we mere mortals to F* up as well.

I think we should be more concerned for the riders immediate injuries, his future and well being.

Bulldog

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Well.... if that biker was any of you... would you be so quick to
defend him ?? seems like the same old story.. if you are a Leo .. congressman or other political figure.. just a slap on the wrist and all is ok

as for a quick recovery... how do you recover from losing a leg.. ??

cosmic

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
if you are a Leo .. congressman or other political figure.. just a slap on the wrist and all is ok
I don't believe they have issued their findings yet. You may want to wait until they do before saying he received no punishment.

dep

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wreck

I hope that all you rock slingers, are not the kind of guy's.

That drink a beer and then go for a ride.

Drive 5 mph over the speed limit.

Roll through a stop sign, (nobodys coming anyway)

Get angry with someone else, without good reason.

If it was not for us lawbreakers, we would not need the enforcers.

This officer is already being punished in ways that most of us would not understand.

I feel sorry for both of these guys.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts