GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
trailer

---Nice frame? Why is there such a flat unattractive body put on it? I know i know. Wind resistance. If that was so important. We might not be riding Goldwings. I'll pull a trailer that looks like it belongs back there. :roll:

G

·
Photos of three more "flat,unattractave bodies":

The McLaren F 1 holds all known records for speed among publicly available, street legal sports cars.

I don't even know what the name of this flat unattractive thing is!

And one way ugly Porsche!!

Now for a thing of BEAUTY!

Point is beauty (and "flat and unattractive") is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I like the way the aerodynamic sports cars AND '40 Ford look but if I were pulling one for thousands of miles I just would have to choose good looking AND aerodynamic!!

That is why, if and when I buy one of the "big boy " trailers it would be a Tailwind. But that's just MY opinion. There are MANY trailer choices out there and MANY opinions. Even "flat unattractive" opinions! Right now I'm pullin' and LOVE my little " '40 Ford " Yellow ALUMA behind my "not so wind resistant" ?? yellow '05 1800!! What "looks like it belongs back there" to one person just may not to another.

G

·
I think skibis is a Uni Go (short and dumpy trailer) guy. I admired those trailers when they were made in New Zealand.

Skibis, being from Arkansas, dosen't a certian woman NY senator from down there sort of take on the traits of both of the trailers we are talking about; isn't she flat, unattractive, short and dumpy? Maybe we shouldn't .........

·
Registered
253 Posts
trailer

--- Uni-gos not short and dumpy. Ive been told it looks like a space egg. Guess iam stuck on the Bushtec styling and air ride suspention Those trailers are second to none. Tailwind may be as good. And some say it is. Iam sure it is. The styling looks alittle flat to me. Maybe when I see one in person I'll change my mind. Till then, i want a Bushtec. 8)

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
If the trailers we pull were a fixed art object, and were not a machine, some of the posts would make a lot of sense.

However, these trailers are not fixed art objects, and so must be observed in part for the technical machines they are.

I have not taken the time to count how many different trailers are available for motorcycle touring, but there are many. They run the gamut from very high technology that is fitting for the task, to units that are inadequate.

The saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder is absolutely true. Detroit in the fifties and sixties had a hay day in sculpting their auto bodies to look like various themes of the day with a lot of Flash Gorden and Jules Verne in the mix.

First, aircraft, and then autos, had to shape up because it was a matter of survival. Aircraft engines, for instance, will win or lose hundreds of millions of dollars on the difference in 0.1% difference in Specific Fuel Consumption.

Airline aircraft manufacturers are required to refund large amounts of the purchase price of a fleet of aircraft if they do not meet their performance guarantees. You will not find a single frill on these aircraft for the sake of aesthetics.

Since I happen to hold the record on drag reduction in Jet Aircraft, I felt compelled to bring this technology to the table in designing the Tailwind.

I like to hear that some think the Tailwind looks good, but am not surprised by those who think it looks bad. I remember, and am still reminded, at how hard it was for my wife to give up her square Volvo 240.

The motorcycle touring trailer market is too small to attract a testing agency or a group that would do a good job of a critical review of what is available.

There was a review of sorts here:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...mas&FIELD1=INNM&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=PTXT

Automakers are in for major reviews all the time because of the value of the field in which they are competing, and doing well or not has a lot of impact on their sales numbers.

Small things like springs made of steel, rubber, or air have a technological meaning that is not very parallel to what is thought about it in the sales literature. Terms like stiction, friction, hysteresis, rate, preload, free length, solid height, and a host of terms never find their way to the sales literature.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Don't let em jerk your chain Tom, their just jealous. If I pulled my trailer more than once or twice a year, Id have yours instead of my homebuilt over any on the market.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts