GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a rainy Sunday morning and sipping my coffee, I am going through the Service Manual to get some insight on the bike.
I am reading about the Smart Key.
There have been posts here about buying a second key fob, and if you lose it, you can use your code and use the starter button to start the bike.
However.....did you know?
That if you lose the one and only Key Fob you have, that besides not only paying the $90 or so to replace it, you must also replace the Smart Control Unit @ $279.00, plus the labor to install the Smart Control Unit, and then also you have to have the new key fobs registered with the Smart Unit. I would imagine the dealer will charge for that also unless they come as a packaged deal already registered together.
I would estimate that all of this could be a total cost $800 - $1000.00 because all the plastic that has to come off to install the Smart Control Unit.

I am going to order me a second Key Fob right away. Not that I need it, but because it could save me a lot of money " if " I lose it.
I am sure Fred can verify what labor is involved in replacing the Smart Contol Unit, and he also has a video on how to add a second fob to the bike.

The Goldwing will allow up to 4 key fobs to be registered per bike.

I guess you can call it piece of mind!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I'm thinking you need read further.

If you have the emergency number, you can register a new fob, even if the original 'main fob' is not present.

See page 23-19
also see chart of parts required on page 23-26.

If you loose BOTH the fob and the emergency number, then yo need a new fob and a new smart unit.

It's another reason to keep a copy of the emergency number in a safe place.

Another way of looking at it is if you can prove you are authorized to unlock smart unit, (with fob or emergency number) then it will let you register a fob.

Am I reading it wrong?

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
I'm thinking you need read further.

If you have the emergency number, you can register a new fob, even if the original 'main fob' is not present.

See page 23-19
also see chart of parts required on page 23-26.

If you loose BOTH the fob and the emergency number, then yo need a new fob and a new smart unit.

It's another reason to keep a copy of the emergency number in a safe place.

Another way of looking at it is if you can prove you are authorized to unlock smart unit, (with fob or emergency number) then it will let you register a fob.

Am I reading it wrong?

Good to know. So the code is more valuable than the key FOB?
Like to see the procedure in the service manual.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Anybody found a good price on a FOB?:smile2:
Im beginning to not like the smart key. What was Honda thinking?
They should make it smaller in size too.
Somebody might ask me "Is that a Smart key in your pocket or are you just happy to see me">:)
I guess they made it bigger so you wouldn't lose it, but I guess that's not working so well. LOL:smile2:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I was reading at the beginning of the manual Pg 1-103. It doesn't say there a new key can be added if you lose it. I did find it on the page you mentioned on how to register a new key fob when you lose all of them.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Ok, I was reading at the beginning of the manual Pg 1-103. It doesn't say there a new key can be added if you lose it. I did find it on the page you mentioned on how to register a new key fob when you lose all of them.
So those of us without a service manual would like to know how. Please.:smile2:

·
Love The DCT
12,003 Posts
I'm beginning to not like the smart key. What was Honda thinking? They should make it smaller in size too. I guess they made it bigger so you wouldn't lose it, but I guess that's not working so well. LOL:smile2:

The smart fobs for some of the latest Toyota's with the push button to start/stop the engine are not exactly small in size either! >:) Some of them are larger.
:doorag:

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
>:)
The smart fobs for some of the latest Toyota's with the push button to start/stop the engine are not exactly small in size either!
:doorag:
I guess they would fit in your "man bag". LOL
Only problem is I don't have one.>:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
second key fob & security

Tell me if I'm missing something. If I keep a spare fob hidden on the bike, won't that keep the ignition active. If that's the case, anyone could start your bike and ride off. Just wondering!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Tell me if I'm missing something. If I keep a spare fob hidden on the bike, won't that keep the ignition active. If that's the case, anyone could start your bike and ride off. Just wondering!
You are missing something. You can turn the fob off so it will not keep ignition active.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
789 Posts
Anybody found a good price on a FOB?:smile2:
Im beginning to not like the smart key. What was Honda thinking?
They should make it smaller in size too.
Somebody might ask me "Is that a Smart key in your pocket or are you just happy to see me">:)
I guess they made it bigger so you wouldn't lose it, but I guess that's not working so well. LOL:smile2:

Yea, I got one for "free" with purchase of my Goldwing from my Honda dealer. Of course when you factor in the the price of the Goldwing it's really not free. But, I'm not searching for a spare FOB. :coffee1:

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
I keep the FOB in the cell phone pocket, I know but it is safer there than it would be with me, got the numbers stencil inside my belt, never lost a belt yet.
I have an airbag, so I don't have a cellphone pocket. Is there a way to open the cellphone pocket if you've lost your original fob?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts