GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my bike in September, my wife and I went over the bike with a fine tooth comb to check for scratches and damage anywhere on the bike before we signed the paperwork.
Putting out 30K for something, you at least expect it not damaged.
Among other things we found a deep scratch in the chrome on the left header pipe, most people wouldn't even see it, but with it being a DCT there was no shift lever so the scratch was easy to see.
We did get the dealer to replace the part, and we bought the bike.
Today, I went to wash the dirt off the wheels because the brake dust is turning them dark gray and as I get down on the left side of the bike to clean the rear wheel, I somehow pushed on the rear crash bar plastic and found it loose. But I soon realize the chrome cover for the muffler is loose as well.
I decide to determine if it is the muffler shield or the muffler that is loose.
When I crawl under the bike with a flashlight, I am amazed to see the bolt for the muffler clamp is missing, and I find that the bolt on the clamp where the left header pipe and crossover pipe connect is loose.
This is not acceptable work by a dealer.
I have had other problems with this bike from this dealer and I am not going back for service.
Here is a picture of the clamp with the missing bolt and the one on the lower right of the picture that was loose.
I was lucky to have a bolt to tighten the clamp in my parts box, so I can still ride the bike. All the other bolts seem tight.
I don't know what the torque is on these two bolts so I tightened them down as tight as I thought. When I get a manual, or someone comments on the torque, I will check them.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm with you 100%. The only time my 2005 GL1800 has been to the dealer has been for those endless brake recalls. As best I can tell they never actually did anything but inspect. But all other service has been performed by my own hands which assures me that it's been done correctly.

I look at it this way, the average dealer mechanic works there because he can't get a better, higher-paying job. Yes, there are exceptions and exceptional and professional mechanics out there but I have never encountered one personally.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
It's not just dealers shops.... I have had independent mechanics work on bikes in the past because the dealer was so backed up... only to get the bikes back from them with bolts loose or missing. I quit using this shop. There are good mechanics.... and bad. Here or there. Check the work done. Probably wouldn't hurt to email the dealer with photos of what was not done right, at least let him know what his mechanics are doing wrong... and you are aware of it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I’m pretty sure the dealer didn’t install the mufflers. You might have to take your complaints overseas.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Here is a picture of the clamp with the missing bolt and the one on the lower right of the picture that was loose.
I was lucky to have a bolt to tighten the clamp in my parts box, so I can still ride the bike. All the other bolts seem tight.
I don't know what the torque is on these two bolts so I tightened them down as tight as I thought. When I get a manual, or someone comments on the torque, I will check them.
I'd recommend ordering in the correct bolts. #41 is one of them. Sorry, I don't have my 2018 Service Manual handy, but I'm sure your bolt torque is 20 ft/lbs.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon/5a4d626687a8660ed87a03b2/exhaust-muffler

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m pretty sure the dealer didn’t install the mufflers. You might have to take your complaints overseas.

I explained how the dealer had to replace the left header and the dealer had to remove the left muffler to do that.
The mechanic at the dealer is the one who didn't install and tighten the muffler bracket bolts correctly.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I would suggest that you let the owner of the dealership know of your concerns and what you found. The Service Manager, Sales Manager, General Manager, etc. are almost certainly well aware of any shortcomings that exist. The owner (also known as The Principle) may not, or if he/she does, at the least they should be made aware that you, the person who bought a rather expensive product that they are selling knows. Most folks working in a dealership are concerned about the security of their next paycheck. The owner will probably have a rather different timeline perspective.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you don't notify the dealership that did the work, they can't correct the problem and someone else may have the misfortune of a critical safety procedure not being performed correctly!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
It's sad to see another story of a dealership doing shoddy work. There's no excuse for it. A customer shouldn't have to go to top management with issues like this. A well-managed dealership should insure their mechanics are well trained for the work they are expected to perform, providing the mechanics with any required specialty tools, a clean, comfortable work environment and adequate time and pay to always perform quality work. Excellent service is the key to bringing customers back.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Another sad tech/dealership story, a small thing, and yet, as you say, a $30K piece of equipment....Got to be a root problem, tech rushed, surely he knows how to proof his work? Some dealers cannot find good techs, so they overlook some issues and work with what they have. I think, surely at $90 to $100 an hour dealers can find good techs.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Correction ... per Honda's 2018 Service Manual:

Muffler Band bolts 15 ft/lbs
Muffler Mount bolts 20 ft/lbs
Gregg! you da man! thanks for all you do!
O' just yesterday my wife mentioned how nice it was to visit you, at your shop, last time we were in fla. (thank you)

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Another sad tech/dealership story, a small thing, and yet, as you say, a $30K piece of equipment....Got to be a root problem, tech rushed, surely he knows how to proof his work? Some dealers cannot find good techs, so they overlook some issues and work with what they have. I think, surely at $90 to $100 an hour dealers can find good techs.
Then too, marijuana use often causes brain fog, and lingering impediment of executive functioning. We have a joke going around in Kentucky: If pot is ever legalized here, the folks at the McDonalds window will NEVER get our orders right. Maybe that dealership should begin a urinalysis, or hair follicle analysis program.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correction ... per Honda's 2018 Service Manual:

Muffler Band bolts 15 ft/lbs
Muffler Mount bolts 20 ft/lbs

Thanks, I will check mine.
I have a Service Manual on order, I think they had stopped production on the 2018 manual and now have the 2018/2019 manual, because that is what my order indicates now, it is a different part number.

Probably not much differences in the two anyways.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Thanks, I will check mine.
I have a Service Manual on order, I think they had stopped production on the 2018 manual and now have the 2018/2019 manual, because that is what my order indicates now, it is a different part number.

Probably not much differences in the two anyways.
If there is a different torque between the 2 years, the Service Manual should indicate that.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
When I bought my bike in September, my wife and I went over the bike with a fine tooth comb to check for scratches and damage anywhere on the bike before we signed the paperwork.
Putting out 30K for something, you at least expect it not damaged.
Among other things we found a deep scratch in the chrome on the left header pipe, most people wouldn't even see it, but with it being a DCT there was no shift lever so the scratch was easy to see.
We did get the dealer to replace the part, and we bought the bike.
Today, I went to wash the dirt off the wheels because the brake dust is turning them dark gray and as I get down on the left side of the bike to clean the rear wheel, I somehow pushed on the rear crash bar plastic and found it loose. But I soon realize the chrome cover for the muffler is loose as well.
I decide to determine if it is the muffler shield or the muffler that is loose.
When I crawl under the bike with a flashlight, I am amazed to see the bolt for the muffler clamp is missing, and I find that the bolt on the clamp where the left header pipe and crossover pipe connect is loose.
This is not acceptable work by a dealer.
I have had other problems with this bike from this dealer and I am not going back for service.
A similar situation happen on another members bike. Sounds like the same area. It happen when the dealer had the bike trailered from one dealer to another either from loading the trailer or bouncing around on the trailer. The dealer finally did the right thng. Good luck with your repair .

·
Registered
137 Posts
I love doing my own maintenance because no shop would spend the time I do cleaning and inspecting parts and pieces the way I do. I admit I use the help of this forum, Fred’s CD’S, you tube videos sometimes and of course the Honda manual to get it done. ?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I love doing my own maintenance because no shop would spend the time I do cleaning and inspecting parts and pieces the way I do. I admit I use the help of this forum, Fred’s CD’S, you tube videos sometimes and of course the Honda manual to get it done. ?
Me too - it's my therapy (besides wind therapy) and at the end of the day, I have no one to blame but myself if it's not done right!! I trust my own work, not so much others!!! :grin2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts