GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just experienced this new format, and I must say, it sure is slow. I am still on the ol'dial-up system. Each selection of a topic from the tech board results in wating, and waitng, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting. I just want to see the reply headers like the old board. Also, can I get rid of all the pictures, links, and misc, crap so that I can just read the message. This format has become unusable to me at this point for gathering information. Is the old format still available? What can I do to speed this up so I can read the actual information?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sorry to hear you aren't happy with the new format. Unfortunately, I think the answer to pretty much all your questions is no.

Take some time to check out the new format, most people hate change. BUt most of the feedback has been positive, and it has grown in those that weren't initially thrilled. Some folks are just resistant to change...

I think most folks also like "the crap". Makes the board more personal.

Hope you stick around and get used to the new place.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
33628 said:
What can I do to speed this up so I can read the actual information?
Buy Cable! The Speed is fine at this end. The format is what it is! The old board has been gone over 2 months.

You don't like the format, you don't like the content, and the speed sucks. Sounds like you are batting 000%.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Red said:
33628 said:
What can I do to speed this up so I can read the actual information?
Buy Cable! The Speed is fine at this end.
Good ol' RED, always ready to roll out the welcome wagon!! :a13:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I'm on dial up and think this board is a hell of an improvement over the old.
**** :yw1:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Sprint b-band

This bbs is waaaaaaaaay faster for me. It is like a Titanium 2004 Goldwing now. :D

I use a Sprint broadband wireless system here.

No cable where I am located, too much farm land around yet.

On various sites that test connection speeds, this system is always at a high rate.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Id rather have dial up

If I just had dial up........ probably get irritated with this board, Probably would spend more time riding, now what a shame that would be huh??

Life is good.

~Brian

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
I have dial up,only option here. Seems like the main speed problem usually comes from this website. If I go to another website speed is usually much faster. Lastnite when we were supposed to be attempting to set a new record for number of members online at one time this site was VERY SLOW. Whenever I go to Fred Harmons website which uses what seems to be the same format as this site things seem to move along much smoother but maybe that is just because there is much less traffic there. This new format has some nice features but the old site was nice too. Give it some time and hopefully you will come to like it. Good Luck

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
I have dial up and things on this board move along very fast for me...no waiting. I usually compare it to the speed of an Illusion Red GL1800.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have dial up also

thats called the price you pay for not spending the $ 40-50 per month and only shelling out $ 10. its not the boards fault.

my local dsl phone company service sucks eggs, and i dont have cable tv, so they will not let me do a cable modem. so i get by with the dial up just fine.

as far as useable info, what info can not be found by reading a little od by just asking

thats right--none

loren

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
In IE you can go to "Tools"-"Internet Options"-"Adavanced" and then un-check the "Show Pictures" option.
Other than that there is not much I can do for you. Sounds like you have a slow server in one of your hops. :(

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I'm on a dial up too, and it is slow.

One thing that would help is if there was a reduction in the number of these inane time and temperature bars... they are nothing more than a waste of bandwidth. :banghead:

Or better yet, the one that I just saw, I'll call it the "Avatar Photo Album". For when one avatar image is simply three images too few. Thanks for making me load your photo album too.

I don't care what the temperature is in Somewhere, Oklahoma. That is what http://www.weather.com is for. I'm here for GL1800 content, not the time and temperature, or a photo album that I didn't need to see.

And no, I can't get DSL. I've already tried.

I'm done. It is time to go see if there's a decent basketball game on the TV. That beats sitting here staring at the computer, waiting for pages to load.

·
Registered
287 Posts
CaWing said:
I have dial up and things on this board move along very fast for me...no waiting. I usually compare it to the speed of an Illusion Red GL1800.
I will endorse CaWings comments. This board is so fast I seem to have my foot on the brake pedal most of the time, its just like the Illusion Red 1800. Im afraid mate you wont get much sympathy from these guys. :biker: :yes: :rw1:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Surprized

I was very much superized at the speed of the board, I spent a lot of this week-end woking on my sons puter and used it while testing it. I signed up for earthlink and the new accelerator ? Hey ! I WAS impressed, I couldn't believe how fast it was. I have cable, and I'm not saying it was as fast, but my wife behind the router said it's as fast as hers. Pages with a lot of graphics or LARGE photo's posted on these boards really slow down a dial-up connection. :yes2:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Board

Fenwick......You might try to go to your internet provider site, click on tools and then internet options and then check "delete temp files". You can also do this with the "delete cookies" tab. That should pick up you speed.

Sorry, but I like all the temp bars.

Jerry

·
Registered
605 Posts
There must be someone in your area that can provide a wireless connection or soup up your modem. I have the weather bar and I like to see the temp in other areas where riders are located. I am willing to take my bar down if everone else would. LaMonster's suggestion about the show pictures option sounds like it may eliminate the weather bar on all your posts. Part of the attraction of this board is the ability to see photos of other riders bikes, and tech tips with photos etc..... You could buy a Candy Red 1800 its faster..

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
BigD said:
LaMonster's suggestion about the show pictures option sounds like it may eliminate the weather bar on all your posts. Part of the attraction of this board is the ability to see photos of other riders bikes, and tech tips with photos etc.
Unfortunately, that eliminates every picture, every graphic, every icon and emoticon. Makes it seem like I'm using an old monochrome monitor again.

And then if I want to look at the weather radar image (or anything else) after I check out this site, then I have to go back in and change the settings in my browser back to "show pictures". That's a PITA to do... back and forth, back and forth.

A little discipline and personal restraint on what people decide to "share" would go a long way in helping everyone. No offense, but I'm tired of people sharing their time and temperature with me. I could honestly care less.

BigD said:
You could buy a Candy Red 1800 its faster...
I nearly did. Thank God that I didn't. The new Candy Red one that I nearly bought was one that ended back at the dealership with a cracked frame. For once in my life, I was glad that I was a cheapo and bought the like new (but slightly used) '02 Silver at a $3000 discount.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I realise that not everyone has access to broadband or other high speed access. I too have seen some very large photos that are way over the limit, but most of those come from people who have their own websights
and are able to upload almost any image. Maybe that is an area that could be explored without to much effect on other members. I know how much I enjoy the board and can understand your position. Have you heard of a company called DTNSpeed.net. They may be in your area

Dick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts