GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just gone to the darkside, and enjoying every minute of the new experience I seem to be missing something, and that is what makes one a 'Double Darksider?'

What makes a Battlax or Pirelli fall into this category, this is the bit I'm missing, any help, or direction in this matter will be greatly appreciated, many thanks

John

DSI# 282

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Just means you are running a front tire with twice the rubber depth. They are designed for smaller motorcycles for the rear tire. For some reason, m/c tire manufacturers decided to use less rubber on the front, that way they could sell you new rubber about the same time the rear went away.

I have the battleax BT45, and printed on the side is "For rear use only" as it is for the rear of a smaller bike. Should last at least twice as long as a regular front tire

JMHO :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
You would be using a tire on the front that was designed for the rear of another motorcycle.

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
Biggles 607,
Just as KA7W has stated, running a "For rear use only" motorcycle tire on the front where it is not suppose to be used. This Darkside community sorta decided that it was a Darkside practice because as with the car tire, it is not an accepted practice. We're just bad :twisted: !

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I get the idea now, but what about the bias ply tires, or is that the Pirelli ? (We used to call them 'crossply' I think, since the textile belts used in construction went from bead to bead across the tire, back in the days before new high tech rubber compounds and construction technologies made the radial tire king.)

John

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
Thanks guys, I get the idea now, but what about the bias ply tires, or is that the Pirelli ? (We used to call them 'crossply' I think, since the textile belts used in construction went from bead to bead across the tire, back in the days before new high tech rubber compounds and construction technologies made the radial tire king.)

John
The Battlax is a bias ply tire and I'm pretty sure the Pirelli is also. It is okay to run a bias ply with a radial ply at least that's what Metzeler told me.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The bias tires we use on the front are not a problem in handling. They ride the same as the radials that wear out so quick. My Battlax has close to 17k on it and has a lot of rubber left. It is cupping some though, even with 40psi in it, but still handles very well. BTW John, there is a road down by you that is a great road to learn to ride a CT on. Norcossie Rd has every possible trials that a CT user needs to face and learn how the bike will react. It's tore & patched up all the way to Golden Rod Rd. I ride it all the time getting to 192 or Canoe Creek road going down to 441 to Lake O. That road sure test you skills.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha ha, funny you should say that JohnACman, I mentioned Neptune road as my first impression of poorly maintained roads in Osceola County, but my route today took me West on 192, left, North onto Narcoosee, then left onto Boggy Creek, through MCO then West 528 to John young Pky to home.

I got some twisty bits, some slab, loads of Foreign tourists to play with, the Church set in their Crown Vics and Sunday best, and finally the boy racers in their lowered tuner hatch backs with offensively loud music. Add to that 50% of them were on the cell phone or texting and you'll understand the tires and I got quite a good workout........

Maybe we'll see each other on Narcoossee sometime soon.

Ride safe

Thanks again, John, John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts