GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I took a camping trip over the weekend to Goose Island State Park. While we were riding around Rockport, a lady pulled into my lane. Fortunately, I was watching for it, so I did what I always do, I laid on the horn, did a quick brake to give her room, muttered under my breath, and tried to see if I could tell what she was doing that was so important that she couldn't take the time to look to be sure the lane was clear.

She jerked back over to the left, then almost immediately back to my lane (there was room this time), but... she kept going. She pulled over to the shoulder. At about the same time it hit me that she was going onto the shoulder, I noticed the red and blue lights in my rearview. She was getting pulled over!!!!

I've been riding for almost 45 years, and I've had "lane incursion" literally hundreds, possibly thousands of times, but this was the first time ever a cop caught the person doing it!! I was thrilled. I told my wife I ought to go back and thank him (the cop). She said "you should"; so we did.

Turns out it was a game warden. He said that he'd noticed her weaving to the left a couple of times, and was thinking about lighting her up. Then when he saw her pull into my lane and almost hit me, he figured she was drunk and he'd arrest her.

Turns out she wasn't drunk. Her excuse - she was eating a sandwich.

He wrote her a ticket for reckless driving, but I didn't care. My day was made just by him pulling her over!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Nice to hear that a Officer was around to witness the stupidity we deal with day in and day out! Glad it turned out OK for you and at least no one was hurt

·
IronMan
18,587 Posts
RECKLESS TICKET IS JUST AS BAD AS DUI :eek:4:

·
Registered
226 Posts

He wrote her a ticket for reckless driving, but I didn't care. My day was made just by him pulling her over!!
Reckless op? That sandwich had better been really good, because it suddenly became VERY expensive.

This is an example of 'enforcing the laws on the book' instead of 'making new laws to cover situation-x'. We don't need a 'No eating sandwiches while driving law'.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Ah - for a change we have a "good cop" story. :thumbup: Thanks for posting, and good for you for going back to let the officer know you appreciated what he did.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
You gotta LOVE the horns on a GL1800! Is it just me, or has anyone else been "encroached upon" more while riding the Goldwing than while riding other motorcycles? I have a '76 750F Cafe' that has a "louder than stock" exhaust, and it's clear that that doesn't happen NEARLY as often while riding THAT bike.....the Goldwing is too quiet? It's certainly large enough.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Can fish and game give a citation like that? I always figured they could hold you till another officer came, but seems a bit out of their bounds?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I believe in Oklahoma the Park Rangers, as well as Game Wardens, have as much authority as the Oklahoma Highway Patrol or any city Law Enforcement Officers.

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
Great story! I like good endings. I thought you were going to say she was doing the cell phone text shuffle

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The best part is she didn't hit you or cause you to wreck. The fact the LEO was there and pulled her over is just icing on the cake! :thumbup:

Texting, talking on a handset, eating are all distractions while driving. Why don't people take their responsibility of guiding 2+ ton missiles on the roadway more seriously? :shrug:

My wife and I took a camping trip over the weekend to Goose Island State Park. While we were riding around Rockport, a lady pulled into my lane. Fortunately, I was watching for it, so I did what I always do, I laid on the horn, did a quick brake to give her room, muttered under my breath, and tried to see if I could tell what she was doing that was so important that she couldn't take the time to look to be sure the lane was clear.

She jerked back over to the left, then almost immediately back to my lane (there was room this time), but... she kept going. She pulled over to the shoulder. At about the same time it hit me that she was going onto the shoulder, I noticed the red and blue lights in my rearview. She was getting pulled over!!!!

I've been riding for almost 45 years, and I've had "lane incursion" literally hundreds, possibly thousands of times, but this was the first time ever a cop caught the person doing it!! I was thrilled. I told my wife I ought to go back and thank him (the cop). She said "you should"; so we did.

Turns out it was a game warden. He said that he'd noticed her weaving to the left a couple of times, and was thinking about lighting her up. Then when he saw her pull into my lane and almost hit me, he figured she was drunk and he'd arrest her.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
We have a bunch of Park Rangers stopping people here in town and handing out hefty tickets.

One that I know of was stopped for not stopping for a pedestrian waiting to cross on the side of the road at a cross walk, on top of that violation they found his license had expired, he was summons to appear in Federal Court in Boston, he lives 30 miles North of Boston.

Landed up paying a $1,000.00 fine plus attorney fees.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Can fish and game give a citation like that? I always figured they could hold you till another officer came, but seems a bit out of their bounds?
In Texas they are commissioned law enforcement officers and any commissioned officer is allowed to enforce the law in any jurisdiction. Sometimes that sucks for the rank and file traffic scofflaw!

·
Banned
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't know about other states, but they can in Texas:

http://www.weblaws.org/texas/laws/t...de_section_11.019_employees_as_peace_officers

Section 11.019:

Employees As Peace Officers

(a) The director may commission as peace officers any of the employees provided for in the general appropriations act.

(b) Law enforcement officers commissioned by the director have the same powers, privileges, and immunities as peace officers coextensive with the boundaries of this state.

(c) Law enforcement officers commissioned by the director have the same authority as a sheriff to arrest, serve criminal or civil process, and require aid in serving criminal or civil process coextensive with the boundaries of this state.

(d) A law enforcement officer commissioned by the director may arrest without a warrant any person in this state found in the act of violating any law.

·
Banned
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great story! I like good endings. I thought you were going to say she was doing the cell phone text shuffle
I told the game warden that I figured she was talking on a cell phone, that's usually the reason I see. Definitely surprised that it was a sandwich.

You know, I'm really not draconian about stuff like that. People can eat in a car without being reckless. They can even talk on a cell phone without being reckless. But, I believe that people really do know what's an issue, and they often just don't care.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts