·
Registered
397 Posts
That's purdy!! What year is that for?

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 2006 that's in for transmission repair. I don't have my notes in front of me, but I think there is rust in all the old cylinders. Some have a lot more rust than others. I'm sure it is caused from the GoldWing being stored for extended periods of time, and the prior owner not following the storing procedures as stated in the Owner's Manual.

·
Administrator
4,417 Posts
As someone who retired out of Honda, working at the Anna Engine Plant (AEP), in machining, those pictures sure brought back memories. But that is the first time I have ever heard/see of this 'cosmoline'.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It looks softer than the the stuff used on VW’s back in the day. Some items were ‘caked’ 1 inch deep in the stuff. We would have to heat it up to dissolve it.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks softer than the the stuff used on VW’s back in the day. Some items were ‘caked’ 1 inch deep in the stuff. We would have to heat it up to dissolve it.
LOL .... every case is different, and some will have a layer 1/2" thick.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are you using to dissolve it?
I wiped as much as I could with a blue paper shop rag, and dissolved/cleaned the rest with cleaning solvent. The last picture shows the case half sitting in a solvent tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts