GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have tried everyting I can think of, bought sprays from the dealers, used off the shelf sprays, tried drops, dryer sheets, washed it with water, put it in a plastic bag and sprayed air freshener in the bag and I can't find anything that helps.....Yep I am talking about HELMETS filled with that awful smell after rides in the summer.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or should the helmets be filled with cement and make 'em into lamp stands?

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
Give your hair and head a good washing at least once a month....

Matt(BCNV):roll:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea...hadn't tried that fix yet...I think of shaving my head though...

I know it doesn't happen to you, Boulder City is DRY and therefore you are not allowed to sweat.....you have to run into LV to do any sweating.....

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You did not mention how old the Helmets are, but if it has become so bad that you can't stand it, you probably need to look into buying new Helmets.

Some manufacturers used to recondition helmets, don't know if that service is offered by your particular manufacturer.

Generally, if it is over 5 years old it should be replaced.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
When mine gets really rank, even though it has the removable liner... I remove the headset, and place the entire thing in the dishwasher. After the final cycle, remove it before the heated 'drying phase' begins, and let it air-dry.

That works for me... your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
201 Posts
the liner comes out of my helmet....the wife just throughs it in the washer

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Good reason to buy a new helmet...........:thumbup:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dish washers works pretty well. No need to remove the liner, throw the wole thing in there...... wait a few days to use it, making time for headsets to dry out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the dish washer idea...I pull the headsets and give it a try......anything will help at this point...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Well I have tried everyting I can think of, bought sprays from the dealers, used off the shelf sprays, tried drops, dryer sheets, washed it with water, put it in a plastic bag and sprayed air freshener in the bag and I can't find anything that helps.....Yep I am talking about HELMETS filled with that awful smell after rides in the summer.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or should the helmets be filled with cement and make 'em into lamp stands?
I can imagine your boots.....:22yikes:
Just kidding!
I just wash mine with a dishwaser soap and water and air dry.

·
Registered
320 Posts

I just take mine into the shower with me..... a couple of doses of shampoo and rinse until the water spilling out is clear.... air dry on the back porch.... good as new!!!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Dish washers works pretty well. No need to remove the liner, throw the wole thing in there...... wait a few days to use it, making time for headsets to dry out.
Very interesting idea. I am a little afraid about the electronics drying out completely, but still...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Stuff it with loosely wadded up newspaper for a couple of days. I have done this numerous times and it works. It might have a little newspaper print smell to it but it's better than the rank smell. I ride year round in the heat (Houston) - today my bike said it was 109° coming to work at ~75mph. Even with my phase change vest on (under mesh jacket) it was still a pretty warm ride. I have had success in keeping my helmets nearly stink free using the newspaper trick over the years. The paper will adsorb the moisture and the smell - give it a try as it seems to be the easiest solution I've heard yet.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Wearing a helmet liner inside your helmet helps also. They absorb a lot of the sweat and oils that smell up your helmet. Just throw them in the clothes washer after every few uses. They also make wearing a helmet more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Wearing a helmet liner inside your helmet helps also. They absorb a lot of the sweat and oils that smell up your helmet. Just throw them in the clothes washer after every few uses. They also make wearing a helmet more comfortable.

Helmet liners work. I never had a helmet that stinks. Now the liners are another story but they wash out easily.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I wear a helmet liner as well and have for years. As mentioned above, after a few wearings I just throw it in the wash and it's ready to go again. It also helps to keep my funny little ears laying against my head instead of being bent in the 'ear holes' of the helmet. I have had an Arai helmet for over five years and no smell from it all. This won't help your current situation but maybe a suggestion for you if you buy a new helmet.

http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/slik.html

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I think that most HJCs and many others have replaceable liners and cheek pads. If you have and HJC, do a Google search for the parts. A lot cheaper than a new helmet. New Enough carries many of them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts