GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped by my local Honda shop today. In the service dept. was an 07 Wing in that pretty blue color, nav and comfort. It had 342 miles on it...and it had been wrecked in a curve somehow. Whole left side damaged..

Here's the rub.....Not only can they not get parts to fix it, but they can't even get part numbers for the 07s yet.



They also had a pretty black '06 with lots of chrome and extras with less than 400 miles. They had just repaired it. It was the guy's first motorcycle ever. He trailered it somewhere with the tie down on the throttle grip somehow kind of jamming it in an open position. When he started it, the motor was racing and in his unexperienced panic he put it in gear and dumped the clutch hoping to kill the motor. It took off like a rocket with him aboard.

And I didn't get to see it :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
trialsman said:
.... When he started it, the motor was racing and in his unexperienced panic he put it in gear and dumped the clutch hoping to kill the motor. It took off like a rocket with him aboard.

And I didn't get to see it :cry:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
:eek:4:

Someone needs to explain to him what the 'kill switch' is for (and, how to properly tie down a motorcycle on a trailer). But I doubt there will ever be a 'next time' for him because he'll probably never get back on a Wing after that experience.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
trialsman said:
It was the guy's first motorcycle ever.
I'm surprised there wasn't a lawsuit. A dealer actually sold a Wing as a FIRST motorcycle????

Seems like there were two idiots in this story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,582 Posts
Lawsuit against the dealer for selling a person a Wing? There is something here I must have missed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Mr. Tuna,
I watched as the Honda Powerhouse guy in Davie FL sold a used GL1800 to a guy who was so short he was unable to balance the bike,. Two salespeeps held it up while the proud owner got on board and bravely wobbled through the parking lot and out of sight around the corner. There is no way he didn't drop it at the first stop. Unconscionable? Yeh, sure. Illegal? Nope.

Ride long and safe..and "A man's got to know his limitations". Clint Eastwood

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
When I bought my '05 Wing (my third cycle, for the record), the dealer warned me it would pull the front wheel off the ground if I wasn't careful, somewhat like my previous CBR.

I have no intention of trying it, nor do I want to see anyone else do it on a Wing. I, too, am cringing just thinking about the poor guy.
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
jcarney84 said:
When I bought my '05 Wing (my third cycle, for the record), the dealer warned me it would pull the front wheel off the ground if I wasn't careful, somewhat like my previous CBR.

I have no intention of trying it, nor do I want to see anyone else do it on a Wing. I, too, am cringing just thinking about the poor guy.
Take my word for it, it will !!! :yes1: 8)
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
trailsman wrote: They also had a pretty black '06 with lots of chrome and extras with less than 400 miles. They had just repaired it. It was the guy's first motorcycle ever. He trailered it somewhere with the tie down on the throttle grip somehow kind of jamming it in an open position. When he started it, the motor was racing and in his unexperienced panic he put it in gear and dumped the clutch hoping to kill the motor. It took off like a rocket with him aboard.

And I didn't get to see it

First of all let me preface my comments by saying that I HOPE THIS GUY IS OK. Now that being said, 1.This guy isn't ready for a bike of any kind. 2.Thats just too funny!! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
North Florida said:
Mr. Tuna,
I watched as the Honda Powerhouse guy in Davie FL sold a used GL1800 to a guy who was so short he was unable to balance the bike,. Two salespeeps held it up while the proud owner got on board and bravely wobbled through the parking lot and out of sight around the corner. There is no way he didn't drop it at the first stop. Unconscionable? Yeh, sure. Illegal? Nope.

Ride long and safe..and "A man's got to know his limitations". Clint Eastwood

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6
Then again what gives the sales person the right to pick and choose who will be sold a motorcycle? Do you want to be the salesman that says.."Sorry Mister, your too short to own own of these!"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Landtuna said:
trialsman said:
It was the guy's first motorcycle ever.
I'm surprised there wasn't a lawsuit. A dealer actually sold a Wing as a FIRST motorcycle????

Seems like there were two idiots in this story.
My '05 '"wing was my first road motorcycle, and first motorcyle in 25+ years. Does that make me an idiot too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
939 Posts
Landtuna said:
trialsman said:
It was the guy's first motorcycle ever.
I'm surprised there wasn't a lawsuit. A dealer actually sold a Wing as a FIRST motorcycle????

Seems like there were two idiots in this story.
Why should that mean filing a lawsuit?
Do you think it should be against the law for a Free American over the age of 21 to purchase whatever motorcycle he wants?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
My first bike ever was a 2002 GL-1800. Never rode a bike before the purchase, but have been enjoying it ever since I bought it. There are idiots, and those who think everyone else is. Don't generalize Tuna. Everyone who doesn't think like you are not always idiots. Ok? Holiday wishes to you and yours. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all from Afghanistan.

Trialsman - sorry to highjack your post. I apologize.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
This whole subject about being a responsible motorcycle salesman has always bothered me.
When buyer walks in and has his mind already made up then things get complicated for a reputable dealer. Many shoppers talk a pretty good game and may not want to discuss their own inadequacies. The buyer would just walk down street to another dealer anyway. My problem is when salesmen give out just plain wrong advice and don't even try to steer a buyer in the best direction.
I have been a fair salesman all my life because I tried to learn everything about my product and then tried to be honest with the buyer. Many motorcycle salesmen do neither.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
I remember several years ago up in Anchorage, AK when a guy bought a brand new Harley. It was also his first ever motorcycle, but he told the salesman yes, he knew how to ride a bike. Guess he was talking about a bicycle, cuz he fired it up, hopped aboard, and took his first ever trip---directly across the street and into a telephone pole!! Totalled the bike and nearly totalled himself. Yep, that was a looooong 50-foot tour he took. I wonder what the salesman thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,323 Posts
Tell me how someone can pull the front up on an 1800. Maybe by reving and popping the clutch but not by the normal means. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
I watched a guy get on a used bike at a dealership years ago, he was very excited. the sales guy gave him the keys and they shook hands, the guy started the bike a revved it up, poped the clutch and zoomed forward almost taking out 3 brand new Harleys. Then he dropped the bike in the parking lot. They guy was ok and got up picked up his bike (crotch rocket) and proceeded to try and drive off again. Well he got about 20 feet and dropped it again.

The sales manager then came out and took the keys and told him to go get a trailer because he wasnt allowing him to ride the bike home.

The poor guy had his father-in-law with him. he turned to me and said, " I told him not to get a motorcycle"

N Ga Rider
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top