GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed a Whelen TIR3 today... Holy Crap is this thing bright :cool:. Easy install replacing the lower reflector. Thinking maybe of hooking it up to my EC Super flash that I have on my spoiler light and just making the spoiler light function as running/brake/turn signal. Would be nice if EC made the spoiler light as bright as the Whelen. Want to make the Whelen flash a pattern then stay on constant. These thing could be addicting...:thumbup: It may pi$$ somebody off being behind me (especially at night), but they have to see me now!

·
Registered
905 Posts
so .... let's see a picture. :coffee1:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Your right I told my father this after he installed his last year. His response I don't care if I piss them off or not at least they will know I'm there so eff em. After being thrown from my 1500 at a dead stop because some chick did not see me made me think you know the old is right :eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Your right I told my father this after he installed his last year. His response I don't care if I piss them off or not at least they will know I'm there so eff em. After being thrown from my 1500 at a dead stop because some chick did not see me made me think you know the old is right :eek:4::eek:4:

You bet I'm right. Thing works great!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Do you guys enjoy getting motorist to loath all bikers. Are you that anal.

I just use amber as well as red brake lights. It seems to work fine. It's something different, legal, attention getting and non-annoying.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
It doesn't matter how many or how bright your lights are - you still run the risk o getting rear-ended. Look at all the LEO cars that get run into.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Tir3

TIR3 Which one did you use. Have a part number?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Apparently you haven't been rear ended by some one who didn't see you.
The GL1800 OEM brake lights with the spoiler are probably brighter than most automobiles, so should everybody in all vehicles have blinding brake lights so they can be seen?

If I ever had to sit behind JefferyJ at a stop light and watch those brake lights shown in his You Tube video, I would probably just shoot him. ;)

Jim

·
Registered
293 Posts
I installed one on the back of each rear speaker housing and have them hooked up through a relay. I control power to the relay with a switch so I can turn them off in traffic back ups, @ stoplights or as I'm waiting to get on base.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
If the lights are to bright you run the risk of blinding the driver behind you and getting hit anyway. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If the lights are to bright you run the risk of blinding the driver behind you and getting hit anyway. :shrug:
First, I very rarely ride at night. Second - when you are 40 ft. or less behind me in the car driver seat, the light is not as bright - that is because it is LED, not a flash tube, and LED are highly directional. For that video I kneeled down about 40 ft. behind the bike. If I stood up it would not be as bright.

If you are 100 ft. behind me it is bright. Has to do with the angle of the light.....I had to build a bracket to lower the angle of the light to get this effect.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you guys enjoy getting motorist to loath all bikers. Are you that anal.

I just use amber as well as red brake lights. It seems to work fine. It's something different, legal, attention getting and non-annoying.

I agree with you, Shortround. I am so sick of people with these "hey mom, look at me gadgets/loud pipes"

If you're that worried about getting hit/hurt, maybe you belong in a car and just don't know it yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Reduced Lighting

A lot of first responders are reducing their lighting while stopped in the roadway after years of getting struck by letting their bright lights blind and distract motorists, especially the drunk ones. Ever heard of the "Moth effect"?
Might just want to add more reflective surface to the rear to make you more conspicuous. BRIGHT light can get you killed if your stopped in the roadway, day or night.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
A lot of first responders are reducing their lighting while stopped in the roadway after years of getting struck by letting their bright lights blind and distract motorists, especially the drunk ones. Ever heard of the "Moth effect"?
Might just want to add more reflective surface to the rear to make you more conspicuous. BRIGHT light can get you killed if your stopped in the roadway, day or night.
Phew, that's a new one...........

1 - 20 of 39 Posts