GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a close one last week. I am sure you guys here have many stories, this is my most recent.

After the light turned green I turned left onto a one way, 4 lane wide road that crosses over the freeway I had just exited. The car I was behind took the 2nd lane , I took the inside lane.

I was already in 2nd gear, was going to throttle up the wing . Something inside my head said "don't" ....... So I did NOT pass this little car that was on my right.

From no where came this little white import car cutting off the guy I was about to pass! The white cager was headed onto the access road of the freeway and cut both of us off.

If I had throttled up the wing I would have broad sided.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
close calls....

Tony,
I'm glad you intuitively knew what not to do. IT saved you some grief for sure. That's one thing i like about my yellow bike, it stands out in traffic. Ride safe,
JD 8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Tony,

I have been listening to little guys in my head for years. :lol:

Glad that you missed a possible bad day.

Bulldog

·
Registered
25 Posts
Voices in your head

I always do what they say. I was going to work one mourning, Iwas in the passing lane on a 4 lane hiwy passing a long line of slower vehicles. All of a sudden something told me I needed to get by these vehicles and get in the other lane. I thottled up to 70 MPH. Just as I entered the other lane there was a dead deer laying broadside in the lane I had just left. I missed that deer by a foot. It was dark and raining.I never saw that deer till I passed it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Glad your OK and listened to the little guy's Tony. The way people drive in your area scares the heck out of me. We left Arizona Mills today and got on east 60 headed out of town toward home. I was with the flow doing about 72 m.p.h. in a posted 65. The traffic wasn't bad at all at 2:30 in the afternoon. A jacked up F250 flew by me on the right and was jumping from lane to lane going around people from both sides. We see the accidents every day on the news up there on 60, 10, and 17. Not to mention the surface streets.

As we were dropping our son off at Sky Harbor, we were in the car. Glad we were as it rained most of the way home. Susan hates being on the bike anywhere in the Phoenix area. We've had more close calls there than about anywhere else.

Again, glad your missed the mess. Be careful up there.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
And they say hearing little voices in your head is bad and you need professional help. They're just upset because they can't hear them. LOL

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
a couple months ago I was on a busy 4 lane city street.I was in the right lane about a car length behind a city bus that was in the left lane.
As we passed an intersection,an oncoming car in the left turn lane made a turn across my lane as soon as the bus cleared.I was in a blind spot where it was difficult for him to see me.
Fortunately,I saw him in time,and he saw me at the last minute.

Bottom line is that I should have been more aware of where I was.
I got lucky this time.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim,

what you say is very true of the traffic in the Phoenix AZ metro area

EVERY day monday thru friday, there are 1-3 roll over accidents just in the mornings.

These are not all SUV or trucks rolling over.

I am convinced that hand held cell phone useage while driving must be banned. Along with eating, make-up application, reading... ;)

Jim Mathis said:
We see the accidents every day on the news up there on 60, 10, and 17. Not to mention the surface streets.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Glad you were not hurt. Always remember one important thing. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. I dont want to sound bias but I find the standard of US drivers very poor when they come to our country. An American driver almost killed me eight years ago,and when he was asked by the Police did he not see me, he said that he was reading his map. :cry: :(

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
tony in AZ wrote

"I am convinced that hand held cell phone useage while driving must be banned. Along with eating, make-up application, reading.."

Good luck, we have such a law in NY you may not hold a cell phone to your head while operating a motor vehicle. It is virtually impossible to enforce, I figure 9 out of 10 drivers ignore the law (including me)

You can read a book, newspaper, map, apply make-up, play with the radio, yell at the kids, hell you can have sex~~~~you just can't call anyone to tell them about it :eek:ops2:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Big Red. said:
An American driver almost killed me eight years ago,and when he was asked by the Police did he not see me, he said that he was reading his map.
He probably didn't want to say he thought you were driving on the wrong side of the road! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts