GL1800Riders Forums banner

Those Harley guys are fun

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  murf 
#1 ·
While in West Virginia at the Marlinton Motor Inn last weekend. there were a group of Harley riders there. One of them had a beautiful Fatboy (I think?) that wouldn't start.

When he turned on the ignition the lights would flash and nothing more. It indicated that the security system was not deactivating.

After several hours of going over connections, charging the battery, pushing the bike around the parking lot, saying a few prayers and cussing, it was quite funny when Dan Kenny's (from Motovation Cycles) wife suggested to change the battery in the pocket transmitter !

Yes, the new Harleys have a pocket proximity transmitter that disables the alarm when you get near the bike.:p

#6 ·
On my '03 I can disable the alarm by 'tapping' in a programmed code on the turn signal buttons...not sure if the new ones do, but I can't imagine they got away from that feature for just this reason. I don't have a proximity fob, but it does have an alarm fob...the old fashioned kind you need to manually press the button on :shock:

#7 ·
I was reading the top ten list of stolen motorcycles from 2009 and top of the list was the Honda CBR600RR. The Fat Boy was #2.

Do Gold Wings ever get stolen?

We are on our 2nd Wing and we never lock it up when we are on the road. Our Fat Boy has the security system with the proximity key fob and the battery in the key fob lasts about three years. Failing that, there is a manual security code that can be employed to start the bike if the battery in the key fob is dead.

#8 ·
On my '03 I can disable the alarm by 'tapping' in a programmed code on the turn signal buttons...not sure if the new ones do, but I can't imagine they got away from that feature for just this reason. I don't have a proximity fob, but it does have an alarm fob...the old fashioned kind you need to manually press the button on :shock:
You can on the new ones also.

You are supposed to replace the fob battery every year. I throw the old one in the saddle bag fo a backup. It is nice to ride all day and not have to use a key.

#10 ·
While in West Virginia at the Marlinton Motor Inn last weekend. there were a group of Harley riders there. One of them had a beautiful Fatboy (I think?) that wouldn't start.

When he turned on the ignition the lights would flash and nothing more. It indicated that the security system was not deactivating.

After several hours of going over connections, charging the battery, pushing the bike around the parking lot, saying a few prayers and cussing, it was quite funny when Dan Kenny's (from Motovation Cycles) wife suggested to change the battery in the pocket transmitter !

Yes, the new Harleys have a pocket proximity transmitter that disables the alarm when you get near the bike.:p
I think what Morph was saying is that Dan knows alot about fixing bikes but his wife is better then him...LOL

#14 ·
Back in 92 we were on a ride with about 6 other Gold Wings, we pulled into a motel to check in, when we returned to our bikes one of the 1500's had a dead battery.(if you remember back then there was a bunch of bad batteries and they would just go dead with no warning). As Tom was changing the battery in his Wing, (we carried an extra one in our trailer) a Harley rider came up and stood beside him just watching him, Tom stood up and said " CAN I HELP YOU WITH SOMETHING?", the guy said '"NO, I JUST NEVER SAW ANYONE WORK ON ONE OF THOSE THINGS BEFORE!!!

#16 ·
Same thing still holds true for disabling the alarm system on the newer HD's including the 2012 models. :doorag:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.