1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
NOT!! I hop in the Jeep Trackhawk & let ‘er rip when I need groceries! :yes:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have to admit, although I do love my '18 Goldwing Tour, if I lost mine (it got wrecked or stolen) and had to buy a new Wing I'd seriously consider buying a Goldwing Standard and making a removable trunk like Nate's up there. I really wish the touring model had more storage and mounting a box to a standard actually fixes the problem.

Plus I'd love to have a metallic brown Wing with the black exhaust. :)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Honda should make an over-sized touring rear box. It should follow the same body lines and general theme of an eye appealing Goldwing Trunk, but it should be 50% taller, 40% wider, and 12" longer! I would buy one, IF they had a quick disconnect method of swapping between the original and the "JUMBO" box.

Joe

·
Registered
794 Posts
Will this topic of "no storage" ever be put to bed? We've all seen how many people actually do ok with the bags and trunk. I personally did just fine with my first Goldwing - 1983 Goldwing Interstate - for 10 years and 120,000 miles both solo and 2-up. And the bags and trunk were smaller than the 2018. If you liked the bags and trunk on the 2001-17 Goldwings you would have loved the storage on the GL1500 because they were larger than the 01-17.

But I guess motorcycle storage is like internet bandwidth - you can't take it away or reduce it.

JMHO

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought the new goldwing instead of a BMW because I liked the new slimmer design and improved performance. My only complaint about storage is, but for the lack of one additional inch, you cannot store two helmets in the rear trunk. That is a silly mistake on Honda’s part. Otherwise, I am very confident my wife and I can pack for a three month trip this summer with the current design. Of course, that will be with a 20lb, 30 liter, dry bag on the trunk rack (in spite of its 5lb limit). Fortunately for us, we will still be below the 423lb total weight limit.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Other large 3rd party top case solutions are available...

Though, I must say the utilitarian look is quite cool!

Best thing about having a base GW with a 3rd party top case is it being quickly detachable. I ride around with it in 'bagger' mode probably 80% of the time, then attach the case if I'm shopping, or going on a long trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
I bought the new goldwing instead of a BMW because I liked the new slimmer design and improved performance. My only complaint about storage is, but for the lack of one additional inch, you cannot store two helmets in the rear trunk. That is a silly mistake on Honda’s part. Otherwise, I am very confident my wife and I can pack for a three month trip this summer with the current design. Of course, that will be with a 20lb, 30 liter, dry bag on the trunk rack (in spite of its 5lb limit). Fortunately for us, we will still be below the 423lb total weight limit.

A 3 month trip would require a lot of packing for ANY bike, and you didn't mention a trailer. (or trips to the laundry mat). So I'm guessing you will need that trunk for clothing, jackets, etc and not for helmets anyway.

Have a great trip and safe ride! :serious:

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Will this topic of "no storage" ever be put to bed? We've all seen how many people actually do ok with the bags and trunk. I personally did just fine with my first Goldwing - 1983 Goldwing Interstate - for 10 years and 120,000 miles both solo and 2-up. And the bags and trunk were smaller than the 2018. If you liked the bags and trunk on the 2001-17 Goldwings you would have loved the storage on the GL1500 because they were larger than the 01-17.

But I guess motorcycle storage is like internet bandwidth - you can't take it away or reduce it.

JMHO
LOL! You do fine with it so everyone else has to shut up? Just ignore these posts! If it bothers you that much. Cripes! :roll:

If anything has been beat to death on this board since it's inception (and I've been here 13 years) it's OIL! When THAT is put to bed, maybe there will be hope on other topics. :serious:

·
Registered
226 Posts
LOL! You do fine with it so everyone else has to shut up? Just ignore these posts! If it bothers you that much.
I think the point being made is that the complainers made a decision to buy the new Wing. If luggage space was a major concern, then why buy it? I get wanting to have the new suspension, engine, electronics, less weight, better handling, etcetera, but if one made the decision to buy it, maybe post about luggage solutions or tips like most in this post subject did, not complaints. Just sayin'. :serious:

·
Registered
794 Posts
LOL! You do fine with it so everyone else has to shut up? Just ignore these posts! If it bothers you that much. Cripes! :roll:

If anything has been beat to death on this board since it's inception (and I've been here 13 years) it's OIL! When THAT is put to bed, maybe there will be hope on other topics. :serious:

WOW! Nice guy. Maybe you could follow your own advice. :shrug:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I think the point being made is that the complainers made a decision to buy the new Wing. If luggage space was a major concern, then why buy it? I get wanting to have the new suspension, engine, electronics, less weight, better handling, etcetera, but if one made the decision to buy it, maybe post about luggage solutions or tips, not complaints. Just sayin'. :serious:

SPOT ON! Thank you! And if someone doesn't like something about their bike, tell someone who could do something about it like Mother Honda!
https://powersports.honda.com/contact.aspx

@William Anzik

x

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
SPOT ON! Thank you! And if someone doesn't like something about their bike, tell someone who could do something about it like Mother Honda!
https://powersports.honda.com/contact.aspx

@William Anzik

x
Honda is not my mother. But I did let them know. It's also well known that they review these boards and when they do they will be seeing our comments here as well. So why should anyone shut up about it? And why would you attempt to stifle the concerns of many others? :shrug:

Everyone is here to share opinions and comments. No one's are any more valuable or correct than anyone else's.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
WOW! Nice guy. Maybe you could follow your own advice. :shrug:
I'm actually a very nice guy. I'm sure you are too. :D I just don't like being told to clam up about my opinions when that's what we do here: share opinions. If you want a place where everyone lines up to kiss the ring on Honda's fingers and sing nothing but praise, this ain't it. ;)

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I think the point being made is that the complainers made a decision to buy the new Wing. If luggage space was a major concern, then why buy it? I get wanting to have the new suspension, engine, electronics, less weight, better handling, etcetera, but if one made the decision to buy it, maybe post about luggage solutions or tips like most in this post subject did, not complaints. Just sayin'. :serious:
I get that, but my 2006 never was perfect either. There's always something one would change and I did. I haven't purchased a new one yet. The only reason is that I don't buy the first couple years of a new anything! I like the new model but I have a couple concerns - one being storage. That complaint isn't going to change if and when I pull the trigger. I'll learn to deal with it but it will still be a complaint. While it likely wouldn't happen soon, a change may happen eventually if people keep expressing concerns. People whined about making it lighter for at least the 13 years I've been on this board and it finally happened in 2018. If they shut up in 2003 maybe it wouldn't have happened? Who knows? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts