GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those that have the Honda accessory rider backrest, how far forward can it be adjusted? I am 5'8" and like to sit upright but I don't think this would work unless I sit back into the pocket of the seat and grew longer arms. Pictures if this adjustment is possible would be great, thanks!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have the factory rider backrest. I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam, and I have to use the backrest in its most rearward position. The vertical section of the backrest can be folded forward, with the actual backrest folding the other way, pushing the rider about an inch and half forward, while also lowering the backrest somewhat. Perhaps someone will beat me to it, but I'll take some photos and post them when I get home.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Remove the rubber cover on the back of the seat and you’ll see a nut. Loosen the nut and turn the threaded piece to adjust the seat fore and aft, then tighten the nut. I’m 5’9” and it adjusts further forward than I want to sit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm 5'7" and definitely the OEM backrest can't be adjusted forward enough for me , now I have the handlebar riser which push the grips closer to the rider and it's much better but still...get an alternative backrest like the Utopia JMHO

Reactions: Downhill502

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, I too am 6.2 have factory backrest, it is adequate, but I had Utopia on my 2007 Wing and it offered more support. I will probably replace factory unit this year. I did turn the mechanism around as per older posts, and that helped some, but remember the Utopia was just better and had pouch that was useful. Other than that, I find new Wing while different, to be ahead overall of previous Wing for my needs . Best part for me, is of course the DCT feature. I do however enjoy the other features, MPG RANGE, TIRE PSI , AND WEATHER RADAR . Time will tell if engine/trans as good as previous models. Oh, and MPG is nice, makes up for less fuel capacity and still only requires regular 87 octane, that is nice. Have installed trunk helmet holders per Fred H videos, thanks Fred. BTWY, you don't have to remove seat and all to get enough clearance to remove the bottom panel for access to install helmet mechanisms. But making the brackets and grinding in the right places for clearance is tedious . If you screw up bad on bottom panel, new one is $98. not too bad . I bought aluminum bar stock at local Home Depot and such for brackets to support the helmets mechanisms. Sure beats the B/S one Honda supplies for my use.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’m 6.0 33 inch inseam and have the Honda backrest. Adjusted forward and with Heli Risers it is very comfortable. But if doing it again, I would opt for another Utopia. More adjustment, wider, more comfort, and able to lay flat forward. Honda design looks better on the bike tho. imho

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Love the Honda backrest and I have short arms - I did install Helibars which I would highly recommend. I now sit more upright, back lightly supported with slight bend in elbows. Shoulder and back pain no longer an issue.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm not sure about the factory, but the utopia was a colossal PIA to install because of one step: tightening the post to the seat.

The little metal plates that you slide into the seat and screw the backrest post into were rectangular in shape and ever so smaller than the slot itself. When I went to torque the bolts down the 10lb/ft the metal plates would spin as the bolt tightened, placing uneven pressure on the slot, and chewing up the plastic. My solution (after lots of cursing) was to put some punch pins through the bolt holes and into the seat to prevent rotation. That worked, but I'm not sure why in the world Utopia didn't think of the plates rotating under torque.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Those that have the Honda accessory rider backrest, how far forward can it be adjusted? I am 5'8" and like to sit upright but I don't think this would work unless I sit back into the pocket of the seat and grew longer arms. Pictures if this adjustment is possible would be great, thanks!
I have the factory backrest and love it! It has about 1" forward/back adjustment using the nut and screw adjuster. However, if you remove or disable the spring you get 2.5" difference between the back and the forward positions. The forward position should be plenty forward for a person your height, and when you want to change position for comfort you can move it on the fly. See pics below, sorry about the orientation.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the factory backrest and love it! It has about 1" forward/back adjustment using the nut and screw adjuster. However, if you remove or disable the spring you get 2.5" difference between the back and the forward positions. The forward position should be plenty forward for a person your height, and when you want to change position for comfort you can move it on the fly. See pics below, sorry about the orientation.
I have the factory. How did you disable the spring. I can drop it down as in your 1st pic, but it quickly works itself back up to the normal position

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,349 Posts
I'm 5'9", have the Honda backrest with Helibar risers, and I'm very comfortable.

I hate the way the Utopia one flops all over the place. It also has an "aftermarket" appearance to it, whereas the Honda one looks like, well, it came from Honda.

Also, while the Utopia is much bigger for the driver, it definitely encroaches on the already smaller space for the passenger to sit. The Honda one is much cleaner and takes up less space.

I think anyone under 6' tall should have the Helibar risers. You can't really lean into any backrest with the handlebars in the stock location if you are average height.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm 5'9", have the Honda backrest with Helibar risers, and I'm very comfortable.

I hate the way the Utopia one flops all over the place. It also has an "aftermarket" appearance to it, whereas the Honda one looks like, well, it came from Honda.

Also, while the Utopia is much bigger for the driver, it definitely encroaches on the already smaller space for the passenger to sit. The Honda one is much cleaner and takes up less space.

I think anyone under 6' tall should have the Helibar risers. You can't really lean into any backrest with the handlebars in the stock location if you are average height.
Tighten the bolt Max!

Reactions: Max McAllister

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the factory. How did you disable the spring. I can drop it down as in your 1st pic, but it quickly works itself back up to the normal position
I cut the spring with a Dremel tool. Alternatively, it looks like you could take things apart and remove the spring, but cutting it was easy.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Ive put the adj. bolt down until it's flush with the retaining nut. Then pushed the b'rest as far forward as I could. Took a pc of wooden rod about a 1/2" dia and slid it under the bolt. Needs to be about an inch long. Later went to a spacer I found in my tool box. Had to flatten it just a bit in the vice. 1 dab of superglue under it to make sure it didn't slide outta place. Just some good 'ol ******* engineering.:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ive put the adj. bolt down until it's flush with the retaining nut. Then pushed the b'rest as far forward as I could. Took a pc of wooden rod about a 1/2" dia and slid it under the bolt. Needs to be about an inch long. Later went to a spacer I found in my tool box. Had to flatten it just a bit in the vice. 1 dab of superglue under it to make sure it didn't slide outta place. Just some good 'ol ******* engineering.:grin2:
Thanks for the great idea, I did similar but used a rubber grommet around that post, I cut a flat side on it with a blade so that the cover fits over it flush. Seems to be working so far, it keeps the backrest in the forward position because the rubber grommet prevents the post from going downward anymore. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts