GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was comming home last night and had been riding for a few hrs. I was starting to get tired, it was about 9PM. Was going across the PA turnpike. Anyway a couple Wings came up on me pretty quick and passed. Yea we were all over the speed limit..LOL Anyway, after the passed they slowed some which was pretty much the same speed I was running. So I had a thought, I tucked in behind them. I am sure they were talking to each other. I don't have a CB so could not talk. Anyway just by being able to run with them it woke me up. Just having another bike out there made the trip nice. Now I was trying to run the cruise, but the other two bikes I don't think were, as the speed would fluctuate. Anyway I turned my cruise off, but they would slow and I would end up passing. After a few miles the would speed up and pass me back. One rider honked everytime they went past. I ran with these two guys for a couple hrs until they made a fuel stop (guessing). I only had about 30 miles or so left. By this time it was almost 11PM. I got to thinking about something after they left the pike.
I hope I did not offend these two gentlemen by running with them for a couple hrs. I don't know if it is ok in the bike edicate (sp) to do that or not. Usually if a bike passes me I just wave and continue on. But I was tired last night and it was like having some company. I have no idea who they were or where they were heading, but I will say that being able to ride with them made a tiring night pass by and I made it home without incident.
So for the two guys on the PA Pike on the night of the 22nd (one yellow bike, and one silver) If you guys read this post, I thank you for keeping me awake. and I appologize if I bothered you by jumping into your ride for a couple hrs. Had I know you were going to exit when you did, I certainly would have joined you and bought you a cup-o-joe just for keeping me awake.

G

·
You may find falling in line with some bikes is not ok,but I doubt it was a problem for them. Most Wingers ride with the expectation they'll meet up with others, to talk or ride.
I would have done the same. They were even polite enough to give you the lead slot. Seems like a great couple of riders.

Pat

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well, the rules of proper behavior in polite company states that one should not approach without invitation.

But, it reads as though the two Wingers were not offended.

One can go to sleep on a motorcycle. Did it once myself. . . and it was on a KLR 650. That ain't easy!!

Rest up, Mr. Chips!! :D

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Never have seen wingers mind riding with others

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
pbird49 said:
You may find falling in line with some bikes is not ok,but I doubt it was a problem for them. ....
If it's obviously a group ride... no, you should not join in without an invitation.

But, two guys cruising down the turnpike probably appreciated your company as much as you appreciated theirs. Too bad you didn't have a CB! (neither do I :? ).

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
hubert said:
Well, the rules of proper behavior in polite company states that one should not approach without invitation.

But, it reads as though the two Wingers were not offended.

One can go to sleep on a motorcycle. Did it once myself. . . and it was on a KLR 650. That ain't easy!!

Rest up, Mr. Chips!! :D
Falling asleep on a bike isn't hard... it's waking UP afterward! ;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't see a problem being you were on the PA Turnpike!

Better in numbers on that hell way - were you on the east or west part of Pa?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
MrChips,

Your welcome to join up with me ANY time you see my black 1800!

As said earlier - "most" of the GL set don't mind a fellow rider down life's highway.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bluewoo, we were heading eastbound. I wish I had a radio just so I could have said thanks. But at the price they want for one, I will just continue to wave. As for me, if anyone sees me, they are more than welcome to join my ride. I ride by myself most of the time. Well except for the wife riding with me. I don't know anyone in Jersey to ride with. So it's always solo. Again, thanks to the two wingers for keeping me awake, even if they had no idea they were doing it. And yes ihave dosed on a bike before. Scares the h....out of you when you realize what just happened.

·
Registered
463 Posts
hooking up

During our group rides we have often ended with more bikes than we started with. On our Polar bear ride in 06 we started out with 20 bikes, had the restaraunt ready for 24 people, when we got there we had 27 bikes and over 30 people. Having a CB is a necessity for me. One of the main reasons is that I ride solo quite a bit and it's not unusual for me to run 12 to 14 hour days ( or perhaps I should say nights). I bought mine to ride. The CB aids in the stay awake factor by being able to talk with the truckers, most of them enjoy it, especially around 2 or 3 in the morning, or at least I enjoyed it when I was over the road. About four years ago I was on my way from KC to Gatlinburg TN after working for 10 hours. I left KC at 1830 central time and was supposed to meet up with some buddies in Gatlinburg at 0630 eastern time. I got just south of Mt Vernon Il when this driver stated to anther,"that ole boy is fixin to get wet". I came back to him and asked how far down the rain was so I could get prepared and suited. They were shocked that my bike had a radio. This got a driver going the same direction talking and before I knew it I was in Nashville. I guess my point is that a stereo is nice but interactive conversation seems to do better for making time fly. In your case, a CB would have made the travels with these other bikes even more beneficial, as you can tell from my rambling on, we can manage to talk forever about nothing (lol)

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I have fell asleep twice, scared the bejeezzess out of me!!!!!

I never mind company, anyone is more than welcome to ride behind or in front of me anytime....just don't leave without a wave :wink:

and fixitfrank, I can talk to a fence post too :wink:

CB is great for passing time, my riding buds and me all have them a talk away for hours on rides, usually about nothing :lol: , but it does make the time fly.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thought or maybe a question

MrChips , I have sent you a PM Most riders welcome anyone to join in. At least most all Wingers that I have ridden with do. Yes we where taking on the CB. My riding buddy on the grey bike is Steve. Mine being the Yellow better looking one LOL. Now about the excess of legal speed limit as I always tell my wife , We only do 55 honey never anymore...LOL
You stated that you ride solo in New Jersey. Come out to GWRRA F/Troop for our monthly meeting the last Sunday of the month in Freehold . Drop me a line and breakfast is on me.
Gator

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gator, it's amazing what the night air will do. Especially when you are getting tired. Did I say in excess of the speed limit......I meant to say moving slightly slower than the flow of traffic and enjoying the ride. My wife laughed and said I would not ride 55 if I only rode on one wheel. Anyway thank you for the offer. May just take you up on it. Besides I owe you a cup of coffee for keeping me awake.

Brett

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
There are alternatives to a Honda CB if you are interested. A friend used a portable fastened to the handlebar and connected to helmet speakers with a push to talk button. Removeable,waterproof and about $200-$300 plus headsets. I have a similar setup on my Valkyrie and it is quite satisfactory.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
To each his own, but I can't imagine being without a CB.

I'm weird in that I could easily do with my XM or my radio. I rarely listen to music, just the comedy channels occasionally. And the only time I use the CB is when I'm riding with one or more others.

I may be the only former disc jockey (20 Years) who doesn't own any music of any kind and rarely listens to it. Even when I was in the business I didn't.

You're right though, riding with and/or talking with someone does help you stay awake and makes the time fly.

G

·
iwing said:
In regards to being sleepy while riding, this may sound silly, but I keep Tic Tac's in my jacket pocket. The dispenser makes it easy to pop a few while riding, and it seems to keep me awake when I start to get tired.

Peppermints are good for this too, but the packaging is a little more challenging while riding.
Nice. I'll put that one into my useful files.
Thanks.

Pat

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I blend in with other riders all the time; always have.
I rode from NY to NC with a Harley pilot that I met on the road once; nice feller.
Come to think of it, it's usually Harley pilots that will ride along with you. The Honda guys usually have more of an "agenda".
On long trips I always find a trucker to jabber-jaw with. Really makes the miles go by.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess my deal on a CB is that in 9 years of having a wing I have only ridden with someone (that had a CB) once. Not counting the other night. It is just hard for me to justify the 600+ bones. Would I like one, yep sure would. But I live on a military wage and I always have other things I NEED. I had a 1500SE and only used the radio the one time mentioned earlier. I did however try many times to talk to other riders in passing, but guess I never hit the right channel. I wouldn't mind talking to trucks on ocassion, but most of the time, especially during the summer, my wife rides with me, and between her talking and the raido I really don't need to talk to the trucking community.....LOL Besides, she always keeps me awake as I seem to say the wrong things alot and I always get smacked in the back of the helmet. Wakes me right up. I guess if I found more people to ride with I may have a different view. For whatever reason though it just seems that most I find that ride wings like to ride 50 miles then eat......LOL i just can't do that. But maybe someday......LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts