GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 hours of hwy riding I start to struggle in the saddle. So I thought I would be brave and take the cover off my factory seat and do some surgery.

I went out to an upholstry shop and picked up 4 inches of foam and went to cutting.
The overall goal was to lower the back of the seat so Im sitting at more of an incline as opposed to a decline (leaning downward towards the bike)
I also wanted to make the saddle with alot of siupport on my legs and my bum barely touching the saddle.

I added the foam around the sides and saw an old tempur pedic pillow hangin out in the garage so I cut it and places it under the foam that I added.

Sat on the seat and it felt good. Now the hard part was seeing if the OEM fabric would fit over the added foam. If you have ever had your the fabric off you know that to do such a feat you must remove plastic peices under the seat that have stiring around them (these act as a tensioner to the fabric I guess) With the added foam these wouldnt go back in so I felt like a genius and got dental floss and some fire and made extentions. IT WORKED and felt like a pimp.

If your still reading this I salute you. I usually stop reading after one paragraph so give yourself a pat on the back.

With the help of my women we place the fabric back into place and stapled it back down to the plastic mold. (becareful and make sure you get it down far enough so the staple doesnt go thru the fabric to and in your thumb) I did this and it hurt.

But it turned out great and it was fun doing it. The true test comes this weekend when leave for the biltmore but I accomplished what I sat out to do and it was VERY EASY. If its way to uncomfy for me then I will go a different route but time will tell.

If your still reading this I might question what you do all day because I felt like writing a short story for you guys and it turned in to a long novel. Please go take a break go out side strech and then come back and reply but dont make it more the 3 paragraphs or Ill stop reading.

If you have questions its prob best to ask someone else but Im a wuss when it comes to messing with things and im proud of myself and it was fun so there.

If you did read to this line just say you read it. That way I can get a count on how many cool people there are on this forum.

·
Registered
297 Posts
all thats fit to print.

Pimp, 5 hours of riding, stapled your finger, Women! tempur pedic, got that. Short story, go outside and stretch, cool people..Yeppers, I read the whole thing. So I am now a cool peoples?
:cool:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am by no means a pro. If you look at the stock foam it looks like doo doo but I didnt mind. The women went out to the garage yesterday and says. "Your seat looks a bit busty" In all reality she is jealous and wishes that she coulb be a bit more "busty" that easy.

Just dont be afraid to do it. Hell a stock seat on the forum is a couple hundred bucks. worth risk if you ask me

enjoy the day kids.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
After 5 hours of hwy riding I start to struggle in the saddle.
Five hours? Maybe 250-300 miles? IMO, your saddle is a keeper.

Take a 15 minute break and maybe an Advil and you'll be good for another 5 hours.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I am by no means a pro. If you look at the stock foam it looks like doo doo but I didnt mind. The women went out to the garage yesterday and says. "Your seat looks a bit busty" In all reality she is jealous and wishes that she coulb be a bit more "busty" that easy.

Just dont be afraid to do it. Hell a stock seat on the forum is a couple hundred bucks. worth risk if you ask me

enjoy the day kids.
What, you don't have some foam left over you could loan your wife? :shrug:

Good write up. I once when after a car seat with an electric knife. I get it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Read it. Good job on the seat redo. I've been wanting to do something with mine as well, but not sure what to do yet. :yes1:

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I read it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are hilarious.

It seems as though when I ride the wing its not on a short trip. my typical rides are 7 to 8 hours and up. The most being a 1500 miler to utah. Thats why I bought the wing.

I might get pictures up but im afraid you guys would be hittin on my women. Then she would get a big head and I would have to hear it for months.

good_w2. Try the mod if it doesn work out just put foam back in but you will love it

thanks for the comments guys

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

enjoy the day kids.
Well,now that you have some experience,Just try putting some foam here and some there and tie it all down with dental floss,put her original cover back on,"shirt", and set on her. I bet you will see a big iimprovement.:lol:If you live through it,LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
I didn't read it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts