GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't about a Harley but it seems like more of these kinds of comments come from guys who have one. Saw a guy about my age (66) today with a Harley jean jacket on. Casually asked if he was a rider. "Yes, but my doctor won't let me ride anymore so I'm selling my 1999 Softtail with 2700 miles on it which I bought new." I said I had just returned from a 4000 mile trip on my Wing but he wasn't interested . . . obviously. He went on to describe his bike's add-ons and wanted to show me a pic. I said I wasn't interested in buying a Harley but why don't you consider triking it out? "No way! How could I lay down a 3 wheeler when the time comes?" I wished him a good day and just walked away.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just over 200 miles a year? Where did he find the time? :wrong:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Never heard that one before. When the time comes, how am I gonna lay a trike down? :roll::lol::lol:

I think the proper terminology would be a motorcycle "owner", not a "rider".

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yep. Some people like to own and polish their bikes. I like to ride mine. Some people are happy with a few miles at a time. I'm more of a 'tank at a time' rider. Some people are a tire a month kind of people. A friend at work who rides has to change tires because of age rather than being worn out. We don't ride together because his 'rides' would bore me.

Different strokes.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
My ex-BIL had a 1990 Harley Ultra that he only rode up and down his driveway (1/4 mile long). He told me that after he bought it he was too nervous riding it. So it sat in his barn for 12 years, except for the yearly rides on the driveway. He finally sold it when my wife's sister divorced him. Total miles...1300.

Harley riders brag about how many towns they ride through in a day.
BMW riders brag about how many states they ride through in a day.
Goldwing riders brag about how many time zones they ride through in a day. :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,197 Posts
I've been riding a Harley since 1980 (still have a v-rod)... in retrospect ... HDs for a percentage of owners represent something they've always wanted to have (or own).

It turns out to be a favorite "man toy" for many men who see it as a fulfillment of a dream. Some guys go for planes, boats, motor homes, or sports cars... some for a Harley.

There was a period not that long ago when buying a Harley was almost looked at as an investment that went up in value. Some guys bought thinking they'd ride a little and keep the miles down and then resell at a price higher than what they paid.

Then too some discover its dangerous and scary and not worth the risk. A business associate of mine bought a new Street Glide. Sold it three years later with less than 700 miles on it. He never took a ride he really enjoyed because he was never mentally comfortable dealing with the physical operation of a motorcycle while dealing with traffic (safely) while balancing on two wheels.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hey Mike,
Sounds like he had the TALK down pat, plenty of those guys around.
Take care pal,
Bob VanNess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts