GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been sort of lurking here for several months, reading everything and commenting on a few things here and there.

Today I brought home a 2019 Black Tour DCT, and everyone knows Black is the fastest color. It had 0.9 miles on the ODO when I took delivery. :)

I have been reading everyone’s complaints and from these forums you would think these wings were just full of fail.

But I wanted to share my initial opinions after 50 miles, about 30 of those in twisties in the mountains by our home.

1. The suspension is soft, but not as soft as I expected based on these forums. I am not a skinny fellow but not crazy huge so I set it at “one plus luggage”.

2. The CarPlay interface is a game changer for me. I love it.

3. The “how to use your bike if your keyfob doesn’t work” process is ingenious, ridiculous, absurd, and hilarious. I really like the keyfobs (I wish they didn’t need to be turned on or turned off though) but the complexity it added to the design of the bike is an interesting design choice. I have to think they could have easily just put key latches on the luggage and been done with it but - OK... The best part is punching in the numbers to activate the electronics. That cracks me up. The whole thing is like a backward escape room puzzle.

4. This bike is like nothing I have ridden before really, and I have ridden a lot. Not just the DCT, but the way it feels and handles. It’s in a weird kind of sporty comfortable performance luxury thing that is very different to me.

5. It didn’t take me long to adjust to DCT but it was odd and I still kept thinking the bike would stall. But it’s so awesome. It was *really* rough on the 5 mile ride home from the dealership. I did the DCT initialization at home and then went out for my ride and it was smooth as silk. If I didn’t know about that procedure I would think the DCT was just crappy... It really should be on their delivery checklist to do.

6. I was embarrassed at the dealership because I couldn’t start it. I kept pushing the “cruise control” button which is where the starter button has been on every bike I have ever had - It never occurred to me to press the kill switch to start it.

7. I wasn’t on it long enough to judge the seat.

8. I will probably get the helibar risers, I have TRex arms and while stock it wasn’t uncomfortable in any way - I think a couple extra inches will make it super relaxed for my shoulders.

9. I have no idea which highway pegs will work for me. I like the beachcomber but my feet don’t stretch that far it seems - my inseam is only 31 inches. I will have to see about that.

That’s probably it for now.

Now to start with the farkles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You can turn the key fob on and off, but you never need to turn it off. I never have in 7000 miles and 16 months.

Reactions: rmw700

·
Banned
435 Posts
I have been reading everyone’s complaints and from these forums you would think these wings were just full of fail.
Sometimes I have to take breaks from forums because people can be such complainers. Just keep reminding yourself that it's human nature to speak up when something bothers us, but we tend to remain quiet on the things we're happy with. Considering most of us bought a GW, then we obviously liked it enough to spend the money... And since most of us aren't selling them, then we must be happy enough. No vehicle is perfect, of course.

The “how to use your bike if your keyfob doesn’t work” process is ingenious, ridiculous, absurd, and hilarious. I really like the keyfobs (I wish they didn’t need to be turned on or turned off though) but the complexity it added to the design of the bike is an interesting design choice. I have to think they could have easily just put key latches on the luggage and been done with it but - OK... The best part is punching in the numbers to activate the electronics. That cracks me up. The whole thing is like a backward escape room puzzle.
That is one of the design choices I simply don't understand. My previous bike was a Kawasaki Concours 14 -- which has a proximity key for the ignition. I think the Kawasaki procedure for a dead FOB battery was MUCH better. The FOB had a RFID chip inside, and if the battery died you could hold the FOB near the top of the ignition switch and there was a RFID reader that could identify the key and unlock the ignition. Honda's solution with a code and mysterious button pushes reminds me of a baseball coach signaling to the pitcher with obscure hand gestures and movements of their hat. Overall, a silly design.

As for turning they key on/off: You don't have to, if you don't want to. You can leave the key on all the time and it will work fine -- although I'm sure battery life will suffer. My Kawasaki keys were always-on, and I had to replace batteries about once a year. I'm not sure how long the Honda batteries will last, but I wouldn't be surprised if they last longer. Turning them off/on should prolong the life, too. The real benefit to being able to turn off the key is so that someone can't steal your bike if you're in a building "near" the bike (like a hotel or restaurant).

I was embarrassed at the dealership because I couldn’t start it. I kept pushing the “cruise control” button which is where the starter button has been on every bike I have ever had - It never occurred to me to press the kill switch to start it.
I didn't push the cruise control button, but I did look around the hand controls, quizzically, at first. All my previous bikes have had a cut-off switch and separate starter button... So this was new to me, as well. I like it!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Welcome and Congratulations valkraider. I have just over 21,000 miles on my 2018DCT. There are a lot of features and somewhat of a learning curve. I still press the wrong button, reach for the wrong switch and also think the lost fob work around is overly complex. I hope never to use it but have created instructions on my cell phone. Not often but still making minor mistakes like flashing the high beams instead of upshifting. I have stopped reaching for the clutch lever.

Yesterday I was out for a short 25 mile ride. I was thinking how much I liked my 2008 Gold Wing that had Nav.

I began really appreciating my 2018 and how any number of improvements that would have enticed me to consider upgrading.
1) Love the brakes. They stop very predictably and in shorter distance.
2) With the upper air deflectors and the electric adjustable windscreen the air management is FANTASTIC. Some say that the windshield is not big enough however Honda says that using their wind testing their design provides improved rider and passenger protection by moving rider and passenger forward. What I know is when its cold or wet I dress appropriately and when its hot (a bigger problem for me) I can easily let in much more air.
3) The front suspension. The more aggressive riders find it inadequate but most all of the time I find it a great improvement.
4) Modes - for those that seek MPG improvement to those that like a more spirited ride the choices are like riding different bikes without having to own several. I rarely run in Sport mode but its fun every now and then.
5)Apple Car Play and Bluetooth. This is a source of aggravation and frustration for many including myself but its worth the hassle.
6) DCT - its nice in the city, flatlands riding single and its great in the mountains riding 2 up with a full load. When you feel the need to make your own shift points it is simple and quick to respond to your command.

The biggest draw back is storage space. I carry about the same amount of gear as before but when traveling 2 up there are major choices of what to take and what to leave behind. I installed the optional amp./speaker pkg and it takes up significant space. The sound is considerably better and I use it all the time but it would have been nice if they hid the amp. like they did before. I miss the space but would purchase and install it again if I was replacing my bike. I installed the Heil bars and the Gold Strike boards and highway pegs and like them a lot.

Hope you have many safe miles and that you enjoy your new ride.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Welcome and Congratulations valkraider. I have just over 21,000 miles on my 2018DCT. There are a lot of features and somewhat of a learning curve. I still press the wrong button, reach for the wrong switch and also think the lost fob work around is overly complex. I hope never to use it but have created instructions on my cell phone. Not often but still making minor mistakes like flashing the high beams instead of upshifting. I have stopped reaching for the clutch lever.

Yesterday I was out for a short 25 mile ride. I was thinking how much I liked my 2008 Gold Wing that had Nav.

I began really appreciating my 2018 and how any number of improvements that would have enticed me to consider upgrading.
1) Love the brakes. They stop very predictably and in shorter distance.
2) With the upper air deflectors and the electric adjustable windscreen the air management is FANTASTIC. Some say that the windshield is not big enough however Honda says that using their wind testing their design provides improved rider and passenger protection by moving rider and passenger forward. What I know is when its cold or wet I dress appropriately and when its hot (a bigger problem for me) I can easily let in much more air.
3) The front suspension. The more aggressive riders find it inadequate but most all of the time I find it a great improvement.
4) Modes - for those that seek MPG improvement to those that like a more spirited ride the choices are like riding different bikes without having to own several. I rarely run in Sport mode but its fun every now and then.
5)Apple Car Play and Bluetooth. This is a source of aggravation and frustration for many including myself but its worth the hassle.
6) DCT - its nice in the city, flatlands riding single and its great in the mountains riding 2 up with a full load. When you feel the need to make your own shift points it is simple and quick to respond to your command.

The biggest draw back is storage space. I carry about the same amount of gear as before but when traveling 2 up there are major choices of what to take and what to leave behind. I installed the optional amp./speaker pkg and it takes up significant space. The sound is considerably better and I use it all the time but it would have been nice if they hid the amp. like they did before. I miss the space but would purchase and install it again if I was replacing my bike. I installed the Heil bars and the Gold Strike boards and highway pegs and like them a lot.

Hope you have many safe miles and that you enjoy your new ride.
SOUNDS LIKE YA NEED A HITCH RACK WOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS :serious::wink2:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Great First Review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons-Seat not perfect, Seat room is tighter,poor helmet holder design, complexity of getting to fuel cap, less storage, GPS

Pros- Lighter weight, better handling, faster acceleration, choice of 4 riding modes, forward & reverse parking modes, electronically adjustable windshield, Choice of DCT/7 Speed Manual or 6 Speed Manual clutch, Apple Car Play, Great Electronics, better styling, ABS Brakes standard, improved braking, better mileage, paddle shifters, easy to remove windshield, built in electronics for cell use

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have had mine for 15 months now and you never have to turn off the key fob. Just be sure to keep some distance between the fob and the bike. My bike parks in garage and my fob is inside my house, no problem. We had to buy a second fob on the 2018's and it is locked in my safe with the switch to off, but the battery life in these fobs will last a long time.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
I have had mine for 15 months now and you never have to turn off the key fob. Just be sure to keep some distance between the fob and the bike. My bike parks in garage and my fob is inside my house, no problem. We had to buy a second fob on the 2018's and it is locked in my safe with the switch to off, but the battery life in these fobs will last a long time.
Honda says the battery in the Honda SMART Key system normally lasts about 2 years.

:doorag:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Day two.

10. Sport mode is really challenging in twisties if there are any kind of bumps. It seems like we really need a sport mode that has everything sport mode does except the throttle response of Tour mode. Sport is super twitchy in bumps and was very challenging in tight curves if it’s bumpy. It’s probably something I just need to retrain myself on - like a lighter touch and grip.

11. My Bluetooth to my headset has disconnected about every 30 minutes this morning. Didn’t do that yesterday. It’s strange, like interference kicks me off - then it reconnects right away (but that turns off CarPlay so I have to stop and unplug/plug the phone again). It wasn’t likely interference though because I was in the middle of nowhere.

12. It is easy to leave the parking brake on and drive away. That’s gonna take some habit building... I wish it beeped like our CanAm Spyder.

13. It is definitely super slow to turn in. Feels a little heavy. BUT: I have had the same problem with other bikes on OEM tires - for example my Rocket III Touring was super slow to turn in on the stock tires, but with Avon Cobras it was super responsive (until they got worn flat that is :) ). I would bet tires have a big impact here as well.

14. I definitely need the Helibars.

15. The helmet lock is cool but strange. I worry about the helmet falling off the seat and dangling on the side of the bike.

16. Not as much wind protection as I expected in stock config. Not a bad thing - just expected a little more. (You notice this more below 50 degrees). I will be adding show chrome jokers and lowers.

17. I definitely need some luggage “mats” - may make my own since Honda wants nearly $200 for a set of three. Any suggestions here would be welcome...

·
Registered
364 Posts
10. Sport mode is really challenging in twisties if there are any kind of bumps. It seems like we really need a sport mode that has everything sport mode does except the throttle response of Tour mode. Sport is super twitchy in bumps and was very challenging in tight curves if it’s bumpy. It’s probably something I just need to retrain myself on - like a lighter touch and grip.
This is also one of my (very few) gripes with the bike. Not too long after picking it up, I was testing out Sport Mode and making a 90 degree left turn onto the road to my house. There is a very slight little bump between the 2 roads and upon hitting that the bike lurched forward because my wrist had moved a hair. Nearly took me out of my line and off onto the shoulder.

Definitely a pucker moment. haha... I was like, "Are you kidding me? That little bump?"

I've played around with different grips (a lighter touch as you say), being more observant of bumps, added grip puppies... all to no avail. It is just SUPER twitchy in Sport Mode and unnecessarily so imo. I would love some way to minimize that as it just seems a couple millimeter twist of the throttle doesn't need to send you into Jet Speed mode. haha

My ultimate work around is just situational awareness of when to use Sport, and which roads/situations not to. But it'd be nice if that wasn't required and simply some of the "twitch" could be removed from the throttle response. Trust me, Honda, I'm perfectly happy to twist my wrist further to get the desired effect.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree, I think sport mode is useless. And I came to the GW from a 175hp 400lb KTM SuperDuke 1290 R that was way easier to ride smoothly than the GW in sport mode.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Congratulations. I find myself actually using Econ mode more often due to the twitchy throttle - suspension issue. Fred and Guhl I believe are working on an ECM tune which may address this issue.

For highway pegs I find the Goldstrikes to be very effective for shorter inseams. I had the Rivcos and they seem perfect for about 32” inseams. (They can be adjusted for shorter folks but the appearance is not very nice Imo)
The Beachcombers seem better suited for 32” inseams as well but I cannot attest to that, this is based on the eyeball distance meter..

·
Registered
455 Posts
I really like Sport Mode. The trick is to know when and where to use it. I only use it in the twisties. I don’t use it in stop and go or high traffic conditions. Would it be nice if it was less touchy at low speeds - YES. But it’s not bad the way it is in the mountains or the twisties. And this is from someone riding a trike.?

·
Banned
435 Posts
17. I definitely need some luggage “mats” - may make my own since Honda wants nearly $200 for a set of three. Any suggestions here would be welcome...
The Genuine Honda mats are expensive, indeed... But I bit the bullet and bought them. I'm glad I did. The quality is impeccable. They have an excellent no-skid bottom texture and a thick carpet that feels like a quality piece. The Goldwing embroidery and Honda tags are a classy touch.

Considering that it's a one-time purchase and they should last the life of the bike, I'm glad I went with Genuine Honda.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really like Sport Mode. The trick is to know when and where to use it. I only use it in the twisties. I don’t use it in stop and go or high traffic conditions. Would it be nice if it was less touchy at low speeds - YES. But it’s not bad the way it is in the mountains or the twisties. And this is from someone riding a trike.

Unless the twisties are bumpy. Then I feel like it’s actually dangerous. Ive got 120 miles on my bike so far and about 80 of those are twisties - in the corners that are bumpy the twitchy throttle caused lurching which pushed me out of my line. (One advantage of living in mountains is all the roads are motorcycle roads. )

But - I am still not super used to the bike.

I need to adjust some and lighten my grip maybe, maybe keep my arm higher. It’s definitely a learning curve.

My Rocket III was significantly more powerful but was not drive by wire. No mode changes. Not the same problem there...

My Tiger Explorer also has about 20 more horsepower than the Wing and weighed 100 pounds less - and did have drive by wire with different modes. It was tuned significantly better than the wing. Way more drivable from a sporty perspective.

This is something Honda could significantly and easily improve with software updates. Is there any feedback mechanism to let Honda know opinions?

But also - I can learn to ride better too. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts