GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Well it was a nice day for a ride today. Too bad part of it had to be on a tow truck.... :(

Electrical issues continue. I was having battery issues so I put it on the charger overnight. fired right up today so we decided to go for a ride, with Kelly's being the destination. Made it exactly 17 miles and the bike died while i was doing 60mph. Nuts. had to call the tow truck. Have AAA so not an issue, but just the same.

Went to Batteries plus and spent an exhorbident amount on a new battery, but oh well. With the rest of the electrical issues I have had of late, I am thinkng I want to get a "battery bug" or something like it so i can monitor the charging health of my battery. So with that being said....what are the rest of you running on your bikes?

I am not looking for cheap, but dont want to break the bank either. Easy to install would be a plus!

BTW for those that didnt know, this all follows a bad front brake switch, and connecting broken wires in the trunk lid. I dont know if there is a short somewhere or what. Also, put on a heated seat earlier this winter, but had no troubles until we discovered the cut wires leading up into the trunk lid.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Hi,

Well it was a nice day for a ride today. Too bad part of it had to be on a tow truck.... :(

Electrical issues continue. I was having battery issues so I put it on the charger overnight. fired right up today so we decided to go for a ride, with Kelly's being the destination. Made it exactly 17 miles and the bike died while i was doing 60mph. Nuts. had to call the tow truck. Have AAA so not an issue, but just the same.

Went to Batteries plus and spent an exhorbident amount on a new battery, but oh well. With the rest of the electrical issues I have had of late, I am thinkng I want to get a "battery bug" or something like it so i can monitor the charging health of my battery. So with that being said....what are the rest of you running on your bikes?

I am not looking for cheap, but dont want to break the bank either. Easy to install would be a plus!

BTW for those that didnt know, this all follows a bad front brake switch, and connecting broken wires in the trunk lid. I dont know if there is a short somewhere or what. Also, put on a heated seat earlier this winter, but had no troubles until we discovered the cut wires leading up into the trunk lid.

thanks in advance
Yes indeed there is alot of wires running in our wings . I was told feet more than a Honda Accord . I have had my share also . Speakers in rear , rear heated seat , brake lights , and saddle bag switches both sides went bad. It's a good thing I like a challenge . ;):roll: I can't help on battery monitor, as that would only be more wires to deal with at some point down the line . I do monitor battery with load meter twice a year though.

·
Registered
21,102 Posts
Personally I would forget the battery bug, from reading about them on the board it seems for many folks they are more trouble than help, buy a good voltmeter instead, that way if the alternator fails you should be able to pretty much tell what is going on

None of the previous problems you listed would make your wing stop running, the problem might be your battery is shot but I suspect your alternator may have stopped charging, if there is a pinched wire in the handlebars that can cause a fuse to blow and stop the alternator from charging, or maybe the alternator just crapped out like lots of them have in the past, I would install the new battery and once it's running check to make sure the alternator is charging

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I would forget the battery bug, from reading about them on the board it seems for many folks they are more trouble than help, buy a good voltmeter instead, that way if the alternator fails you should be able to pretty much tell what is going on

None of the previous problems you listed would make your wing stop running, the problem might be your battery is shot but I suspect your alternator may have stopped charging, if there is a pinched wire in the handlebars that can cause a fuse to blow and stop the alternator from charging, or maybe the alternator just crapped out like lots of them have in the past, I would install the new battery and once it's running check to make sure the alternator is charging
what do i need to check the alternator as a piece of equipment. bought a new battery, would like to know its being charged...also are you talking like the Kury type meter or something else for the bike itself...
dave

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
what do i need to check the alternator as a piece of equipment. bought a new battery, would like to know its being charged...also are you talking like the Kury type meter or something else for the bike itself...
dave
A voltmeter will do or CHROME LED VOLTMETER SHOW CHROME UNIVERSAL MOTORCYCLE VOLTAGE METER can be mounted on bike . I have a few multimeters . You can barrow one or I can test it for ya when I swap tires for ya .

·
Registered
21,102 Posts
Electrical connections sell a couple nice plug and play voltmeters for the GL1800

i would avoid the LED type voltmeters simply because most of them are difficult to read in bright sunlight, they would be great if all your riding was done in the dark

i would not recommend going anywhere on your wing without checking the alternator with a multimeter first like rail suggested or you very well could go another 17 miles and have it quit running again, your original battery might still be good but simply needs charging

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If you don't have one, a simple multi-meter is all you need. With the engine running and the bike on the center or side stand, hood the meter to the battery posts and bring the engine to 2,000-2,500 rpm's. You should be reading about 14.4 volts. If you not, you need to trouble shoot the alternator charging circuits.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't have one, a simple multi-meter is all you need. With the engine running and the bike on the center or side stand, hood the meter to the battery posts and bring the engine to 2,000-2,500 rpm's. You should be reading about 14.4 volts. If you not, you need to trouble shoot the alternator charging circuits.
yeah, that is one of my concerns now. Battery was 3-4 years old, so probably was about due, but until i know the alternater is working, i hesitate to even go to go very far away.

Will pick up something or have it checked out at a local cycle shop at the very least. There is a non honda dealer near by. might take it over tehre and see if they would hook it up and see.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
yeah, that is one of my concerns now. Battery was 3-4 years old, so probably was about due, but until i know the alternater is working, i hesitate to even go to go very far away.

Will pick up something or have it checked out at a local cycle shop at the very least. There is a non honda dealer near by. might take it over tehre and see if they would hook it up and see.
I would mail ya one down to check it yourself and save ya some money .,PM me your address.
Or I could ride down there and check it for ya this weekend . :thumbup:

·
Registered
21,102 Posts

Plenty good Multimeters available at most hardware stores for less than $20

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Most of the battery stores, will check yours for free

batteries plus, batteries unlimited, etc

·
Registered
229 Posts
alternator

If it is the alternator, there is a place in Fond du Lac that rebuilds them.
Fondy Electric. Just take it out and send it to them. Or maybe we can connect and I can drop it off for you. I live in Fond du Lac and work in Milwaukee. I have had many alternators rebuilt by them.

Let me know if I can be of service.

If you need to remove it look at the step by step section on this board for how to.

Good luck
Jerry

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it is the alternator, there is a place in Fond du Lac that rebuilds them.
Fondy Electric. Just take it out and send it to them. Or maybe we can connect and I can drop it off for you. I live in Fond du Lac and work in Milwaukee. I have had many alternators rebuilt by them.

Let me know if I can be of service.

If you need to remove it look at the step by step section on this board for how to.

Good luck
Jerry
Thanks Jerry, will let you know if it turns out to be something like that.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Add to the list of woes...

Well, put a new battery in it yesterday. Thought I could ride it to work and back today and then do some checking tonight on the alternator...yeah, that didnt work out so well....its sitting at a car place charging so i can hopefully get it back home. Got to work, went out to lunch....didnt make it back without a ride...

I am guessing now its the alternator or as someone suggested maybe a burned fuse, which Ihave not had time to check.

More updates.....

dave

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Add to the list of woes...

Well, put a new battery in it yesterday. Thought I could ride it to work and back today and then do some checking tonight on the alternator...yeah, that didnt work out so well....its sitting at a car place charging so i can hopefully get it back home. Got to work, went out to lunch....didnt make it back without a ride...

I am guessing now its the alternator or as someone suggested maybe a burned fuse, which Ihave not had time to check.

More updates.....

dave
Wow Dave, luck has not been on your side lately pal. Seeing that you replaced the battery, I am fairly sure can eliminate that as a cause. A friend had a broken wire under the seat that didn't cause any trouble until the bike was running. Then it just drew the battery down to nothing.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update Dateline Monday June 10th, 445 pm.....

hooked up a volt meter to the bike. after the charge this afternoon, it was holding at about 11.30 and dropping. Started the bike up....NO increase in volts to the bike. reved to 2500.....no increase in volts...in fact....dropping little by little.

That tells me its something to do with the charging system.

So, How can i effectively look to see i dont have a loose wire someplace in the charging system? What do i need to look at and where on the bike can I find it.

ONce I know I dont have a loose wire, then it pretty much nails the alternator (Or someone suggested a regulator?)...

Thoughts suggestions?

thanks
dave

·
Registered
21,102 Posts
Start by checking the fuses. :yes1:

Did you happen to install heated grips recently ?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Murgie but no. Cruise control lite worked until I shut it off. was blinking when I first had the trouble i thought was the battery.

had radio, spedometer and clock until the battery dies, then the radio goes followed by the spedometer followed by the motor and the bike wont turn over on restart.

Now, I started pulling the alternator and the pesky inside bolt is a no go method one. i cannot get any leverage to get the initial twist to unseat it. the other two were pretty tight as well.

So at this point I pulled the rear tire and am going to try method two. I hope like heck that I can get that to work because method 3 is going to be gruesome!

Will keep you posted.
dave

1 - 20 of 73 Posts