GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I do not know if one of the new digital volt meters will fluctuate or not, but I also like the swing needle type volt meter simply not only to show a pending charging situation but I run a headlight modulator most of the time and also most of the time I forget to turn it off in a group ride until I get into the group, so the voltmeter at idle will fluctuate with the modulator, so I can tell if I have it on or off. Simply an indicator and a help. Kit

My Lascar digital does the same thing...........I can immediately tell if I have my Gerbings controller on for my heated gear as it pulses the output (PWM). You can see the fluctuations on the digital voltmeter.

I like digital better as you can immediately see the voltage.........no need to see where the needle is lined up at on like an analog version.
JMHO......

btw - I hardly consider my voltmeter location "worthless". :roll:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Fred H.
I had one just like yours, and it does look good until it gets water in it. It is not weather proof. Took mine off and just installed the Honda analog meter; got a deal on Ebay. Serves the same purpose and looks pretty good; I hope it will hold up.

·
Vendor
21,548 Posts
Fred H.
I had one just like yours, and it does look good until it gets water in it. It is not weather proof. Took mine off and just installed the Honda analog meter; got a deal on Ebay. Serves the same purpose and looks pretty good; I hope it will hold up.
I took steps to try to waterproof it. I have washed the bike a couple times and gotten it wet, so far so good. We'll see how it holds up over the long term.

·
Registered
948 Posts
IMHO, probably so, but an ammeter is much harder to install due to having to either run all battery current thru the meter or insert a shunt resistor in the battery circuit. Either way is not as simple as using the voltmeter.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
I am a firm believer in having one on the bike. It is easy to see when riding, but the camera flash put in a glair in the photo.

Just bein' nice. Shoot shiny stuff from an angle. Also, digital pics are free more or less so shoot several & choose the best one....

I do it all the time. I luv digital photography.

That is a really really cool place to mount that item.... very unobtrusive and in a spot that won't have sunshine reflecting. Great idea!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I installed an Airrider(sp?) digital volt meter/gear indicator and would not be without one now. I had a BMW with a gear indicator and really missed that after the bike was gone. The air rider works great too with auto dim etc. JeffP

·
Registered
696 Posts
V&P sells a simple idiot light for $40 that mounts on the dash and in IMHO is FAR more useful than a voltage indicator in that it gives you immediate warning when an alternator fails. This allows you to pull the HL fuses and go quite a ways before the voltage gets to low for the bike to run.

It worked for me and allowed me to get to a town where I could buy a car battery and a charger and put it in my saddle bag and then limp on 60 miles at a time (per charge) to the nearest dealer 200 miles away for a new alternator.

It is highly unlikely that you will happen to look at a voltage indicator just as the alternator fails and with the HLs etc. on it won't be long until the bike quits.

Generally alternators work or they don't so I don't see much diagnostic advantage to knowing the exact voltage.

W

·
0 Posts
I bought mine thru http://www.davescyclesupply.com/product_details.php?category_id=93&item_id=396

I've had it for 3 years and haven't had a problem with it. Now I jinks myself. It shows gear, volts and outside temp. I wired directly to the battery instead taking an inline reading of the volts.
I've been thinking about that one - I have had their 1500 version for several years and been quite pleased with it. My concern with the 1800 version is that it blocks the instruments. Do you find that to be a problem?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts