GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Everyone.
I have a 2006 GW. I do not know if the CB has ever been check for calibration so I ordered a swr meter and cables from Serria Electronics. I have been reading a lot of information on and off the GL1800 board about having a good ground to the antenna.

My question is this. While I have the bike apart would this be a good time to run another ground wire from one of the two bolts that are in the trunk holding the antenna on?
If so would you run it to a good ground under the seat, since the seat will be off? Or would it be better to just go the negative from the battery.

I will make the ground using ring connectors and #12 or #10 wire and solder all connections.
Thanks in advance for your thoughs.
Larry

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Did you get the bracket that supports the antenna from the inside?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve
Yes bracket is in place. Just basing my question on, would more be beter/
Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I know on my 1500, it made a big difference. I used a ribbon style engine grounding strap. Not so sure on the 1800 though. My antenna was already tuned and had low swr right out of the package. The biggest problem with the factory CB is that they are underpowered so even if you get absolutely perfect swr reading, it will still be limited. There was someone on the forum here (not sure if he is still a member) Larry I think his name was that can tune and increase the TX power on them. Take a look at his web page for more info
https://wingconnect.com/

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Noooooooooooo!

Don't ground it to the battery.

The ground that the antenna is needing is a "counterpoise" - an actual tie to the power ground doesn't do it. Google that word to learn more about what we're trying to establish.

Make certain the strap in the back is cleaned at the point it's tied to the bike and also to the point it's tied to the antenna. No Loc-tite on those threads; acts as an insulator.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts