GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was interested in riding a Goldwing, so I offered to let him ride mine. He has a V-Strom DL1000, which I rode as we did a short ride that included some residential streets, some mountain twisties and the Interstate (Man, I like where I live).

I had forgotten what it's like to ride a relatively lightweight bike with lots of power. I love my Goldwing, and have no doubt it is the very best bike for the kind of riding I do - mostly long distance touring, but with whatever twisties I can find along the way, and an occasional local ride to enjoy the coast and/or mountain twisties. For a bike its size, it is incredibly agile and powerful, but it is not a sport bike, or a street bike, etc.

It's difficult to accurately describe the difference for me, but here a few attempts. It's like a sports car versus a muscle car, or like a really fun toy versus a really sophisticated machine.

If I were interested in more local rides without my wife on the back, I would definitely buy a second bike. It wouldn't be a crotch rocket, but it would be light and fast. But then, I might kill myself, so I'll stick with my Goldwing and enjoy all it has to offer. I'll ride it like a sport bike when I want, and like a tourer or town car the rest of the time.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
You can kill yourself just as dead on the Goldwing. :lol:

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I often have thoughts about other bikes, the "lust in my heart syndrome", but if I'm honest with myself there is no other bike that meets my needs as well as the Dirty Fat Girl. Yep. I wish she was lighter, had 50 more horses, 25 ft/lb more torque, would handle out of the box without sending money to GA, and it would help if she wasn't so dated looking but at the end of a day like yesterday I know on any other bike I would have been kockered. On the Wing I could have kept going.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I often have thoughts about other bikes, the "lust in my heart syndrome", but if I'm honest with myself there is no other bike that meets my needs as well as the Dirty Fat Girl. Yep. I wish she was lighter, had 50 more horses, 25 ft/lb more torque, would handle out of the box without sending money to GA, and it would help if she wasn't so dated looking but at the end of a day like yesterday I know on any other bike I would have been kockered. On the Wing I could have kept going.
So what you're telling me, Bubba1, is it's OK to lust in my heart, but don't forgot the girl I brought to the dance?

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
a friend was interested in riding a goldwing, so i offered to let him ride mine. He has a v-strom dl1000, which i rode as we did a short ride that included some residential streets, some mountain twisties and the interstate (man, i like where i live).

I had forgotten what it's like to ride a relatively lightweight bike with lots of power. I love my goldwing, and have no doubt it is the very best bike for the kind of riding i do - mostly long distance touring, but with whatever twisties i can find along the way, and an occasional local ride to enjoy the coast and/or mountain twisties. For a bike its size, it is incredibly agile and powerful, but it is not a sport bike, or a street bike, etc.

It's difficult to accurately describe the difference for me, but here a few attempts. It's like a sports car versus a muscle car, or like a really fun toy versus a really sophisticated machine.

If i were interested in more local rides without my wife on the back, i would definitely buy a second bike. It wouldn't be a crotch rocket, but it would be light and fast. But then, i might kill myself, so i'll stick with my goldwing and enjoy all it has to offer. I'll ride it like a sport bike when i want, and like a tourer or town car the rest of the time.
wait until you test ride a valkyrie!!!!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
So what you're telling me, Bubba1, is it's OK to lust in my heart, but don't forgot the girl I brought to the dance?
Yep Darrel Royal used to say "You dance with the one that brung ya". BTW, I also wish I looked like Sean Connery but fat chance :).

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wait until you test ride a valkyrie!!!!
Now that's an interesting comment because when I inquired of a few that have owned and ridden both the Valkyrie and a GL1800, they said the GL1800 was more agile!

Were they wrong? ---Now we've started something!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I loved my DL1000. One of the sweetest motors on the planet. Twisting the throttle was nirvana.
I think that's what started this thread. The acceleration was almost intoxicating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now that's an interesting comment because when I inquired of a few that have owned and ridden both the Valkyrie and a GL1800, they said the GL1800 was more agile!

I owned a Valkyrie Interstate for 7 years. The GL1800 has more power, more torque, handles better, better balance and and more agile than the Valkyrie. And the Goldwing is significantly more comfortable. The Valkyrie requires 3 times the effort to keep clean and shiny. Nevertheless, I was sad when the Valkyrie left my garage.

John

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I owned a Valkyrie Interstate for 7 years. The GL1800 has more power, more torque, handles better, better balance and and more agile than the Valkyrie. And the Goldwing is significantly more comfortable. The Valkyrie requires 3 times the effort to keep clean and shiny. Nevertheless, I was sad when the Valkyrie left my garage.

John
Well, they certainly are a more classic design. The reason I inquired in the first place was because I liked their looks so much.

·
Registered
922 Posts

I have a 2000 Valk Standard I bought in 2000 and have 81K on it. It will stay up with a Wing up to 60, the Wing will pull away above that. Wing is more agile and takes the bumps better. Sometimes more is less for me and the Valk has seen bikes come and go at my house. The Valk just speaks to me and it is a keeper assuming I can find parts for it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
JMANTANDEM,

You bring back many memories - - -

We lived in Santa Clarita, just off Cal 14 at Golden Valley, for 23 years. NOTHING can compare with the roads north of LA!!!

I used to ride a friends' DL1000 back in LA. GREAT BIKE! It was one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden! Handled great and very 'peppy.'

I bought a Suzuki SV1000S as my 'second bike' since the twisties in SoCal are sooo inviting. But, now in Wichita, KS, it just sits - - -

The SV has noticeably more power than the DL and handles better, but it ain't anywhere near as comfortable.

Enjoy life. I am jealous - -

A few parting words:

Soledad Canyon out of Santa Clarita (get on at Sand Canyon)
Soledad Canyon to Barrel Springs Road
Barrel Springs Road to Palmdale Blvd / Elizabeth Lake Blvd
Elizabeth Lake Blvd to Spunky Canyon
Spunky to San Francisquito Road
Back to Santa Clarita and the I-5 up to Lake Hughes Road
Lake Hughes to Elizabeth Lake Blvd
Elizabeth Lake Blvd to 138 and then to Gorman Post Road
Gorman Post to Frazier Park Road
Frazier Park Road to Lockwood Valley Road
Lockwood Valley to Cal 33 (left towards Ojai and a short stop at the Ranger Station before NIRVANA!!)
Cal 33 to Ojai - what a ride!!
Cal 150 out of Ojai to Lake Casitas and then PCH (U.S. 1)
South on 1 through Ventura and Oxnard to Cal 126
Cal 126 back home - big grin on face - takes at least two days to get rid of it!

Again, I am sooo jealous!!!

Regards,
Joe T.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JMANTANDEM,

You bring back many memories - - -

We lived in Santa Clarita, just off Cal 14 at Golden Valley, for 23 years. NOTHING can compare with the roads north of LA!!!

I used to ride a friends' DL1000 back in LA. GREAT BIKE! It was one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden! Handled great and very 'peppy.'

I bought a Suzuki SV1000S as my 'second bike' since the twisties in SoCal are sooo inviting. But, now in Wichita, KS, it just sits - - -

The SV has noticeably more power than the DL and handles better, but it ain't anywhere near as comfortable.

Enjoy life. I am jealous - -

A few parting words:

Soledad Canyon out of Santa Clarita (get on at Sand Canyon)
Soledad Canyon to Barrel Springs Road
Barrel Springs Road to Palmdale Blvd / Elizabeth Lake Blvd
Elizabeth Lake Blvd to Spunky Canyon
Spunky to San Francisquito Road
Back to Santa Clarita and the I-5 up to Lake Hughes Road
Lake Hughes to Elizabeth Lake Blvd
Elizabeth Lake Blvd to 138 and then to Gorman Post Road
Gorman Post to Frazier Park Road
Frazier Park Road to Lockwood Valley Road
Lockwood Valley to Cal 33 (left towards Ojai and a short stop at the Ranger Station before NIRVANA!!)
Cal 33 to Ojai - what a ride!!
Cal 150 out of Ojai to Lake Casitas and then PCH (U.S. 1)
South on 1 through Ventura and Oxnard to Cal 126
Cal 126 back home - big grin on face - takes at least two days to get rid of it!

Again, I am sooo jealous!!!

Regards,
Joe T.
Your ride suggestions are right on! I've ridden all of those roads, in various combinations and directions, and enjoyed virtually every mile.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Test rode a Triumph Tiger recently. Felt like a dirt bike comparatively; super slim, tall, and light compared to the GL1800, and REALLY quick/fast. Getting back onto my slow, heavy slug I wondered how long it would take to feel "back to normal" and enjoy the comfort, wind protection, and long-distance "pace" the Wing sets. Answer: about 10 minutes. I miss my last bike, my Bandit 1200S about once a month too, but don't regret having only the Wing at all.

Still, a Speed III in the garage WOULD be nice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have a friend who still has a Honda V-65. It is a "criuser" style of ride I guess, with a v-4 motor, but it will stomp a Wing in the ground anytime. It is one powerful scoot. I think the V-Max was about the same, but I have not ridden one of those. The V-65 is pretty agile too, and a lot of guys put windshields, radios and bags on them back in the day.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Alternate Biking Realities

I just traded my 650 Burgman and I'm suprised how little I miss it. Although, I've been craving a GS650F or a nice big Buell, maybe a Ducati Diavel. Something light and powerful. Then I ride for 20 minutes and my set hurts!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Alternate Biking Realities

I just traded my 650 Burgman and I'm suprised how little I miss it. Although, I've been craving a GS650F or a nice big Buell, maybe a Ducati Diavel. Something light and powerful. Then I ride for 20 minutes and my seat hurts! Back on the touring bike!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts