GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Honda backrest on my 2018 but was never totally happy with the adjustments of it and the lack of being able to move it forward and keep it up. I know Max now makes a bracket to address that however it just adds to an already pricey unit. I am ready to order the non-removable Utopia unit but wanting other riders input before pulling the trigger. Sadly it seems Honda has not updated the cover material to match the 21 seat. This is yet another reason I am straying away from the Honda unit.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I had the Honda backrest on my 2018 but was never totally happy with the adjustments of it and the lack of being able to move it forward and keep it up. I know Max now makes a bracket to address that however it just adds to an already pricey unit. I am ready to order the non-removable Utopia unit but wanting other riders input before pulling the trigger. Sadly it seems Honda has not updated the cover material to match the 21 seat. This is yet another reason I am straying away from the Honda unit.
I'm not a big fan of the Utopia backrest even though I've had two of them, if you have any thoughts of replacing the stock seat maybe wait until then.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like mine. I had it on the original seat. And I kept it on the upgraded Russell Day Long. It’s very adjustable. I had it high, but found the sweet spot is lower. Right now it’s far back so my fat ass can break in the new saddle.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the Hondaline backrest and I'm happy with mine, but I've used Utopia backrests on my older Gold Wings and I was very happy with the Utopia and it had a pouch for my wife to use.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
My third Utopia. Completely happy with it. Wife loves the pouch. There are better looking backrests but there are none higher quality or more functional.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My third Utopia. Completely happy with it. Wife loves the pouch. There are better looking backrests but there are none higher quality or more functional.
What he said.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am ready to pull the trigger on a Utopia for for my 2015, but the Kury Revolution, even at a MUCH higher price, does not require me to cut the seat. Am I being too fussy?

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I am ready to pull the trigger on a Utopia for for my 2015, but the Kury Revolution, even at a MUCH higher price, does not require me to cut the seat. Am I being too fussy?
I cut the seat on my 08 and on the Yamaha. Never had an issue. The 18+ Wing does not require cutting the seat.
Short answer is yes. You're being too fussy. It's a non-issue.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
FYI,
I had 130k miles and 9 years on my 08. My seat cover started to wear out after 100k so I got a new cover. I removed my backrest and old seat cover. The foam under the "cut seat" looked as good as the rest of the seat foam. After installing the new seat cover I had to cut it again. :)

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Indeed fussy.... I have the Utopia on my 2008, had it since then, works well, wouldn't want to ride without it. Cutting the seat is a non-issue as long as you don't use a power circular saw... :ROFLMAO:

I tried the Kury Revolution, it's not for me. It's support is too high on my back, it makes you sit up too straight, I feel it's not integrated into the bike's design well....

I don't recall seeing anyone on this board over the years who put on a Utopia back rest and was unhappy with it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pulled the trigger yesterday on the Utopia waiting a few days to wrestle off the seat and install when cooler weather. No excuse why this seat is sooooooo damn hard to reinstall Honda should do better for $29,300 + tax and fees and what else the stealers can tax on 🤬

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I installed the Utopia backrest. Everything went well one of the biggest issues I had was getting the heated seats unplugged. The actual installing into the seat etc was very easy and straight forth. Again the biggest issue was getting the *$&#@ damn seat back on and installing the blots. Some white grease (very little amount) smeared onto the seat where it slides over the pegs on the back and also the pegs in the front of the seat helped amazing. If you do this be sure you route the heated seats wiring correct (pay close attention how it’s routed before removing the seat) . Also a little grease to act like a tack to keep the washers on the seat bolts helped. There are plenty of how too so I won’t go any further but just wanted to post my thoughts. Sat on the seat afterwards and it feels super I think this will get my shoulders and back out of pain. Soooooooo hot and humid here in Decatur,IL I will postpone the ride for now. It was over 100 heat index yesterday and we got an additional 1.5 inches of rain overnight along with bad thunderstorms ⛈ After install 1.5 hours my shirt was soaked what a summer we are having.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts