GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, they were Lovebugs...

We had a semi-cool day with reasonable humidity for the first time in six months.

I decided to take Ms Redd out with the Garming GPS to check the speedometer error. Actually it was much less than I feared.

It was only 2 to 2.5 mph off (High, of course) from about 20 mph up to 80mph. The only place it was exactly right was "0" :D

I was expecting worse (the VTX is horrible); it never ceases to amaze me that a company that can machine a piston/cylinder within about 1 or 2 gazillionths of an inch cannot make an accurate speedometer. I understand the "lawyer" thing, but come on, what's wrong with a little perfection???

Stay safe,

Lance

Formerly Futurewinger

·
Registered
65 Posts
VTX 1800 was the worst bike I ever owned! Lots of problems

I bought a used VTX 1800 had only 1,200 miles on it. As I rode it--- Had lots of spark plug fouling, the clutch started slipping in any gear under full excelleration at about 3,200 miles----Honda replaced the clutch under warranty-----but it went out again in 1000 miles.

I decided to put a Barnett Clutch in it---after that it was fine. Then I had light problems, cable problems and on and on---the bike is also very top-heavy, I sold it shortly afterwords and bought the 2002 Wing.

Had many Wings in the past and lots of other Hondas through the years should have bought a wing again!

I now have a 2002 Wing and have 13,000 miles on it and what a great bike. Will buy another Wing again.
Dick.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Lance,

Congrats on the new bike!

How much error did you have at 80 indicated? My GPS reads 76 when the speedo say 80.

My wife's mini-van has an error of 1 MPH at 80. (Shows 79 on the GPS.) That's a little more reasonable error in a speedo.

With GPS and OnStar systems and such, you would think that they could have an automatically calibrating speedo linked to the GPS. Am I thinking a couple of decades into the future? How about using the GPS to keep the clock accurate?

Sorry, I need more coffee. :oops:

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Can anyone tell me how far north love bugs range and what times of the year are they prevalent? I was down in LA last year this time and the car was covered with those things. How long do the bug problem last when they are out. I was told that not even birds will eat them.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The culprit with speedo error is the us gov't, it is very low for auto's but since motorcycle are considered recreational vehicles the tolerance is very high, therefore if you were a manufacturer you would not spend extra $$$$ on something that is not called for. Besides that if you are so concerned with it, all you have to do is make a simple math calculation and you know how fast you are going, and for those of you who want to know things exactly for performance sake or mileage, if you use the same set of numbers, be it GPS or the bikes own, you will always get consitent calculations. SPEND YOUR MONEY ON GAS, or on a yellow box but Honda is not going to fix it. :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its off a little! so what its a built in buffer :lol:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
On which side is the Wing' speedo lying? Is it optimistic or pessimistic?
Does 06' have that problem? Is it something worth bothering with?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Actually, it appears that all motorcycles are designed with a built in error. They all have about a 5% optimistic display.

The only one that seems to be accurate is the Harley-Davidson Certified Speedometer.

That's okay. It has created an industry of little boxes that calibrate your speedo! Because they can't give us a reasonably accurate speedometer we get to spend about $100 for a device to fix the speedo to tell us the truth.

If you don't have your own GPS that you can use to calibrate your speedo, you can probably borrow one or just ride along side of someone that can tell you what your true speed is.

Yep, wonderful!

PS
I almost forgot! Your speedo error may vary a little bit, but most have noted that at 80 on the speedo you are really doing 76.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Lone Ranger said:
Can anyone tell me how far north love bugs range and what times of the year are they prevalent? I was down in LA last year this time and the car was covered with those things. How long do the bug problem last when they are out. I was told that not even birds will eat them.
I just came down the Natchez Trace Parkway earlier this week. I hit the first love bug just north of Jackson, MS. When I crossed the Miss. River at Natchez, MS, they were nice, thick and real juicy. They should start petering out in another couple of weeks I would think.....nasty little boogers that are so nasty nothing will eat them...their body fluid is almost pure acid and terrible smelling...and they taste even worse should they blow into your mouth. Their body juices will eat the clearcoat clean off your vehicle if left on the paint longer than 48 hours.....

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Here's a little trick for handling those bugs. It requires a little prep, but it works great.

Cover your windshield and all the way down below the leading edge of the fairing with Saran Wrap.

When you want to clean the windshield, peal it off. You have just cleaned the windshield AND the fairing! Apply a new layer of Saran Wrap if you are going to continue riding with the bugs.

Works on helmet visors too.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Richard,

Don't you ever sleep?

Actually, I'm not particularly anal about the accuracy of the speedometer; I just wanted to know what the error was.

As far as the clock goes, I never set it and it was spot on. I just kind of assumed it was getting the time from the GPS. I guess the disadvantage of displaying GPS speed as the primary is when you lose the signal either because of buildings, trees or terrain you have no speed display at all...

Oh well; if life were perfect, it would also be very boring... :D

Stay safe,

Lance

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Lance,

Sleep. Such an elusive concept, right now. Mostly a series of naps. :?

I took a tumble off of the back porch a while back :shock: and I am at home, recuperating. I am pretty much confined to my La-Z-Boy. Fortunately, I have my laptop to play with and keep in contact with the outside world.

You don't have to be anal to be upset with a 5% error in the speedo. At an indicated 80 you would be going 76. I just want the truth or as close as possible to it.

I guess someone set your clock and they got it right. I know the built in GPS doesn't display your speed; does it display the time?

The concept of connecting the speedo to the GPS is just for calibration purposes. Something like 1/100th of a MPH each time the power is turned on. Loss of signal (LOS) wouldn't cause the speedo to stop functioning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts