GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife spent the weekend in Lancaster, PA and while at breakfast on Sunday said she and my daughters saw what seemed to be thousands of bikes passing, riding for the families of the Amish children killed a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, it was mostly cruiser style bikes (read HD) - just wonder if anyone from the board participated. My real question is, what was done with the money, as the Amish probably wouldn't accept it. I hear they pretty much provide for their own and don't take outside help very often.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
News report here in Jacksonville, Fl said that they shared the money with the family of the man who killed their kids. That would be hard for most of us to do I would think

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
One report said that a total of over $700,000 has been raised, and it sounds like they are going to accept it for the medical expenses. They have certainly gone above and beyond to show compassion for the killers family!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Snoppy said:
News report here in Jacksonville, Fl said that they shared the money with the family of the man who killed their kids. That would be hard for most of us to do I would think
You've got to be kidding!!! Giving money to the parents (and I use the term loosely) of the deranged kid who ended the innocent lives of several young girls!

Working in the court system I see things all the time that reinforces the theory that "The acorn don't fall far from the tree". I don't know the family of the killer, but I'd bet they left a lot to be desired in the parenting department.

Excuse me, I've got to go heave.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Correction here's the info...
http://smaltzhd.com/

A lot of our Southern Cruisers chapters were going.. I almost went but had already signed up for a March of Dimes ride...

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Trialsman......it wasn't the killers parents, it was his wife and kids. The Amish actually went to her house to console her and help his children She was the one that called the police to let them know what he was upto. Sad irony, the funeral processions for the dead went right past the killers house. I gained a whole new perspective toward the Amish.

·
Registered
379 Posts
On our local news in Middletown, Pa they said the ride was started by a Harley Dealer in the Philly area. I knew nothing about it till the news said about it later that day. They said the ride alone raised over 30K.

Pap

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bob,
The out pouring from around the world has been overwhelming to the Amish people . The local bank has a account set up to hold the funds and it has over $800,000 collected so far. I have lived here over 20 years and have not seen the Amish so out going in trying to say thank you to the world and show forgiveness to the killer's family. Last week a barn burnt down and by the following Monday a new one was up. Its amazing to see them work together in getting something done. There faith in God is the same.

Dennis

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
I don't post very much but have a need to now.

trialsmen, your post offends me. This community has taken the path of forgiveness, as is the Amish way. Could I do it? Probably not. If one of my children was killed during this incident, forgiveness would be the farthest thing from my mind. But I am not Amish.

This community has embrassed the killers family, from day one. Could I do it? Probably not. But they have.

I have no idea what your experience with the court system has been. My 25 years in law enforcement has shown me that families are not always responsible for their members, and some fall far from the tree. Does it happen that way all the time? Nope. But I have found that the majority of family members are profoundly sorry for their relatives actions, and are sympathetic to the victims of the crime.

So trialsman.........go heave. And I will sit here in awe of a community that feels this way. Could I do this...............probably not.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mesquite Bob -

It was a local Harley dealer organizing a ride to raise money for the families. they raised over $35K. It started in Dutch Wonderland and rode down to the Firehouse in Bart township and donated the money to the firemen who are involved the fund raising. Dutch Wonderland also raised about $1700 in concessions, which they also donated.

Jack

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The motorcyclists raised over $35 K for the Amish.
Over 1 Million has been raised from all over the world.
The Amish went to the family whose father had pulled the trigger and gave them both comfort & forgiveness, then attended the shooter's funeral.

I've been following the story since it broke on Oct 2 - I live about 30 miles from Bart, PA.

·
Registered
824 Posts
jburd said:
I don't post very much but have a need to now.

trialsmen, your post offends me. This community has taken the path of forgiveness, as is the Amish way. Could I do it? Probably not. If one of my children was killed during this incident, forgiveness would be the farthest thing from my mind. But I am not Amish.

This community has embrassed the killers family, from day one. Could I do it? Probably not. But they have.

I have no idea what your experience with the court system has been. My 25 years in law enforcement has shown me that families are not always responsible for their members, and some fall far from the tree. Does it happen that way all the time? Nope. But I have found that the majority of family members are profoundly sorry for their relatives actions, and are sympathetic to the victims of the crime.

So trialsman.........go heave. And I will sit here in awe of a community that feels this way. Could I do this...............probably not.
Well said my friend, well said!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I stand corrected and retract my statement.

I incorrectly thought that "the killer's family" was his parents. I was unaware that it was his wife and children.

Yes, their forgiveness is amazing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts