GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had two mechanical air gauges, and one electronic gauge, and the two mechanicals had the same reading, would you believe the electronic one?
Inquiring minds want to know.... I have all three...
:popcorn:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Two read the same , third one out.

I would go with the two that read the same.

Just about all the digital or electronic ones brand to brand or even same brand, same model read just a small amount different from each other. Maybe .5 to 1 pound.

I think it is mostly the fit you get when you push the gauge unto the valve stem. You have to get a solid firm seal, and the manual gauges do seem to be easier to hold and seal .

An electronic gauge will read a bit different even used on the same tire at the same pressure, get a good solid push and seal, cool, a little off and the gauge reads a little off.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to tell you...

The one that was electronic was the tire monitoring system from Show Chrome. They were 5 pounds low. Said I had 40 in the front and 33 in the rear. Checked them with the mechanical ones and both said that the front was 45 and the rear was 38. Show Chrome will get a call in the morning..

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Show Chrome made in China? i would bet so. There's a lot of crap gauges out there. Last gauges I got at Napa were still made in USA. No use checking pressure if you can't trust your gauge.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Well, in Aerospace, the rule is to "Believe whichever piece of equipment costs more!"

Seriously though, the only Correct Gage is the one that's Calibrated and trace-able to a Standard Unit of Measure... Not something that you'd likely be able to obtain, or prove, in any over-the-counter-gage.

Personally, I want a gage that gives Repeatable Reading... Sure, the "41psi" on my gage may equate to "42psi" on yours, and we'll never know who (if either) of us is correct... Yet it will still be suitable to discerning if we have a Leak... eg I should be able to measure it every day and still get a reading of 41psi.

"Man with one watch know what time it is... Man with two, never sure!"

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you had two mechanical air gauges, and one electronic gauge, and the two mechanicals had the same reading, would you believe the electronic one?
I had the same experience. I got rid of my digital gauges and use only the mechanical ones now. I have an old one and two newer ones. They are consistant with each other. I had two digital gauges and they did not agree with each other so I got rid of them. I keep the guage on the bike so I use the same on all the time at least that will be consistant. I never use the gauges on the air pumps.:p

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
See the specific results of the test at the BMW MOA Web Site.

·
Registered
876 Posts
See the specific results of the test at the BMW MOA Web Site.
The final paragraph in the report:
How important is the error I found? The possibility of a 2 psi error is small potatoes. Consider that over 25% of US passenger cars (Reference 1) had at least one tire that was under inflated by 25% (~8 psi). This is why I opened the article stating that it is more important to go out to the garage and check your tires versus worrying about which gage is best or if your gage is good.

WTBS, I use a Slime digital and also use the Show Chrome TPMS. They register within 1/2 psi of each other. I am confiident of the readings due to the consistency and the fact I do not experience any negative tire wear issues.:coffee1:My high dollar mechanical guage registers 6-7 psi higher than the digital.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
The one that was electronic was the tire monitoring system from Show Chrome. They were 5 pounds low. Said I had 40 in the front and 33 in the rear. Checked them with the mechanical ones and both said that the front was 45 and the rear was 38. Show Chrome will get a call in the morning..
Keep in mind that the Show Chrome TPMS does not immediately display the current tire pressure on power-up but rather the last reading it took before shutting down. It usually takes one or two full tire rotations before the unit reads the current pressure. If the wheels in the on-screen bike cartoon aren't solid black then the display unit hasn't yet gotten the current readings.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you really care, get a good gage and get it calibrated......

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Keep in mind that the Show Chrome TPMS does not immediately display the current tire pressure on power-up but rather the last reading it took before shutting down. It usually takes one or two full tire rotations before the unit reads the current pressure. If the wheels in the on-screen bike cartoon aren't solid black then the display unit hasn't yet gotten the current readings.
Actually, any removable TPMS will display the immediate tire pressure if you remove the sensor to add air, then reinstall it. My Doran monitors full time, the reading I get when I go to the garage may have been done anytime in the last 7 minutes. However, if I take the sensor off to add air, I get an immediate alarm, and an immediate reading when I reinstall the sensor. I have found it to be spot on with my gauge, and no longer use the gauge.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I think the biggest + in keeping a tire gauge accurate is to take care of it and not toss it around like it's a football. I've been in numerous tire shops and have witnessed the tech checking tire pressure and when he's done he tosses the gauge towards his tool box only to hit the floor, bounce off the tool box, etc. I've been a tech my entire life and I have witnessed some unbelievable abuse of expensive measuring tools by fellow techs. :oops:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Many motorcyclists and car enthusiasts believe digital gauges are the most accurate, and it just isn't so. Theoretically they will hold their calibration better. But in real practice the analog gauges hold up pretty well.

I have 3 Accu-Gage dial gauges, one for each vehicle. They all read almost exactly the same. I bought a Craftsman digital gauge a couple of years ago. (It is just a rebranded Accu-Gage.) It measure 4 psi higher than the dial gauges. I sure can't be certain which is wrong, but I tend to trust my analog gauges.

Accu-Gage sells a Bourdon tube gauge for about $20 that I have been considering buying as a reference. They are supposedly quite accurate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts