GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,

I haven't checked in for awhile because I've been dealing with prostate cancer. I found out I had it the first week of October... and had surgery in late November. Prognosis looks great. Doc said he got it all and the pathology report confirms this. Needless to say, we had much to be thankful for on Thanksgiving.

Anyway, the doctor wants me to avoid lifting and riding bicycles and motorcycles until January 1st. If I sent him a photo to the wing's comfortable saddle, I wonder if he'd change his mind and let me ride sooner.

I can't wait to ride again.

Greg

BTW, I feel like the poster boy for getting it checked... hint, hint! Early detection saved my life.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Glad you're doing better...just take it easy and you'll be riding before you know it! Take care and heal well!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Greg glad to hear you are going to be all right to ride another day..

If I might inquire about your age and was this your first check

Jamie

·
Registered
694 Posts
Keep moving on..passed that waypoint 2 years and 2 months ago. (at age 45) go figure. No issues but now at least I won't be heading for the bath 5 times a night when I get to 70. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
good on you and your right, a person needs to get past there EGO and whatever else and get checked. I go every year and glad to hear you got checked.

Reading your post helps bring things into perspective as to whats important in life..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great News!

Getting checked means that you live to ride a lot longer!

Best Regards

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
glad ur ok

Greg,
My psa jumped to 5.4, i go in Friday to get bi-opsied, be glad to have this behind me, lol. Glad you are going to be ok, hang tough and ride safely.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Congrats on winning that battle Greg.
Todays treatments and early detection mean
the odds are very good you'll have no further problems.
I get the PSA and digital every year and am in a study
with 30,000 other guys testing some prevention meds.
Careful, don't get the Doc too interested in the bike, or he'll
be prescribing another three months off for you so he can ride it for you.
:lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I had external beam radiation,25 days,25 doses, and seeds in 1998(52YOA). I left from NJ to Fla. on my last radiation day, the doctor said I might be uncomfortable but it wouldn't do any harm. PSA every six months and all is well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Greg,

Glad you’re doing well – and you’re right, the key to your survival was early detection. I would imagine that a lot of GL owners fall into the “annual check-up range”.

After having a triple by-pass 17 years ago (at 44), my cardiologist always included my psa in every blood test – like every 6 months.
When my psa suddenly went from my normal of 1.4 to 4.8 about 3.5 years ago, he insisted I see a urologist. I did and had a 12 specimen biopsy which showed 5% cancer cells in one specimen.

I consulted a surgeon and a radiation oncologist and opted for the radiation treatment. The choices were surgery, radiation, seeds and “do nothing”, but have continuous psa tests.

At my last checkup, and I have to have one every 6 months for 5 years, my psa was .2 after having one spike to .8 over 3 years – as long as it’s down, I’m happy.

I was surprised to learn how many men die every year with prostrate cancer and didn’t know they had it. I guess they don’t take the many trips to the restroom as a sign of prostrate enlargement and since the cancer it’s self doesn’t cause any pain they just brush it off until it’s too late.

If you haven’t had a psa test and you’re 50 or older, GET IT CHECKED!

JD – good luck with the biopsy – nothing to it, and it will be “behind you” before it’s all behind you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had Brackey therapy (radioactive seeds) on September 29. The first three weeks were kind of misserable, and I am still low on energy. I was able to return to riding as soon as the flow returned to normal though. The down side to my treatment is that I won't get to the place you are prognosis wise until the six month aniversery. I too am thankful for early detection.

Glad you are on the mend, and all looks well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jamie said:
If I might inquire about your age and was this your first check

Jamie
I'm 49, and I've been having PSA and digital exams since I was 40. If I had waited until I turned 50 to start tests it would have been too late. Four years ago my PSA was 1.2, two years ago it was 2.3 and this year it was only 3.2, which is still below the clinical concern level of 4.0. Plus I was having no symptoms at all. Fortunately I recently switched doctors... My new one noticed the change in PSA levels (velocity) and suggested that I see a Urologist, who then suggested a biopsy.

Thirty-one years ago my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer that had already spread to his spine. He was only 55 at the time... it eventually killed him.

If any of you have a dad, grandfather, uncle, or brother who has had prostate cancer, please do not wait until you are 50! Most publications suggest initial exams for whites at 50 and 45 if you're black. I wish that publications suggested earlier if you have family history.

I had laparoscopic surgery with the daVinci robot assist only three weeks ago, and I'm doing great. The doctor was able to spare all nerves. Bladder functions are just about back to normal and the doc says that in a few months my wife and I can resume "having fun". :D I'm kinda stoked about that!

Thanks for asking. Perhaps this thread might save a life.

Lord bless you guys!

Greg

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Greg, glad to hear you nipped it in the bud. Since my Dad had it, I thought I should have the PSA test a few months ago. Fortunately, my number is only 0.4. Sounds like you're gonna be ready for a New Years Day ride, along with many years of good riding to come. Best wishes!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Greg,

Glad to hear you licked it. Cancer of any kind is very scary. I know last Sept. when I had my problem I was thinking of cancer until they confirmed it was not. It makes you sit and do some thinking.

Don't push too hard for the bike ride. Just wait until you know you can handle it. I know I pushed my luck when I got home and paid for it...All I wanted to do was mow the yard and clean up some leaves... LOLOL

Ross

·
Registered
615 Posts
Greg, Thanks for reminding the guys about this. My brother has been fighting this for 10 years. (his is life and death fight almost yearly) He was one of the early pioneers of the "neo" bladder which is very had to maintain. And he went for check ups every year, but it just appeared as a ultra high PSA on the diagnosed visit. So guys go get check ups, it will sneak up on you. Joy

·
Registered
455 Posts
I feel your pain Canary. October 31st my doctor did the laporoscopic prostactectomy on me.
The bad news is, I am going die :shock: , the good news, not for a long time. :D
I agree, all should get their PSA checked, try to pass on the DRE. Watch out for big nurses who ask you to bend over, no joke, get it done!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Been there done that surgery 10/13/05 missed 10 weeks of ridding not bad considering. Dr's found tumor on my spine recently at lower part of my neck had it removed past Friday not gotten results of pathology as of yet but very confident. Still have a drain in my neck because so much tissue was removed it is still bleeding. Still breathing, hang in there life gets better.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dbrando1 said:
Glad to here you are doing better check this ride out!!

http://www.motorcycleridefordad.org
Hey dbrando1,

Who are the organizers of this ride? I'd be interested in doing this in the U.S. The links I tried didn't work.

Thanks,

Greg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts