GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 05 GL 1800 that has ISO grips installed. The throttle seems to have a bit of play in it. Anyone have suggestions as to how I can easily adjust the throttle to remove most of the play? It is giving me a little problem trying to shift smoothly. I have been riding a VTX 1300.

Thanks.

Todd

·
Registered
127 Posts
A minor amount of play can be removed with the throttle adjusting hex nuts and knob type locks at the throttle itself. If the play is excessive than you can adjust the majority out first at the throttle cable adjustment accessed by looking aft into the tripple tee area from the left front of the bike. Make sure you have the correct cable and bring a 10mm and an 8mm open end wrench.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue Winger said:
A minor amount of play can be removed with the throttle adjusting hex nuts and knob type locks at the throttle itself. If the play is excessive than you can adjust the majority out first at the throttle cable adjustment accessed by looking aft into the tripple tee area from the left front of the bike. Make sure you have the correct cable and bring a 10mm and an 8mm open end wrench.
BW, thank you very much for the explanation. I will give it a try. Am a little apprehensive since I am not very mechanically inclined and very inexperienced attempting M/C work. :roll:

Todd

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
wvnnva said:
Blue Winger said:
BW, thank you very much for the explanation. I will give it a try. Am a little apprehensive since I am not very mechanically inclined and very inexperienced attempting M/C work. :roll:

Todd
Todd

Honda recommends 2-6mm (1/12 -1/4in) freeplay. Measure the grip freeplay at the throttle grip flange. After you adjust make sure to start your bike and move the handlebars from side to side (full lock) to ensure the idle speed does not change.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jerry, thank you for your suggestion. By darn I just might get this thing right afterall. :lol: I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts