GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
I looked in the owner's manual and can't find anything about how much play should be in the throttle or how to adjust it. Am I just missing it? I have the '04 GL1800A. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Its in the service manual and I don't have mine with me right now so I am afraid to rely on memory for the grip travel "play", but just a tad is about right -- maybe 2mm of play. I jsut did mine by feel and then when I got the manual I checked the free travela nd it was within the range specified. Pretty sloppy as delivered.

prs

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
pgreen7436,
I think the 2mm standard is the spec. The bottom line is to turn the bars full left and right in idle and check for changes in RPM.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I thought that the 1/2 to 5/8" play was too much! I'll try and adjust it this weekend. Hope I don't have to take the top shelter off to do the major adjustment though.

You guys are great!!

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
The "major" adjustment can be done from underneath the left front of the bike. You can see the adjuster next to the frame in the tunnel area.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SL_1800 said:
Mine had that 1/2" to 5/8" slop and I was able to take care of it at the grip adjustment point.
I wonder if it was an '04 problem. I thought "maybe it's supposed to be that way" but it's frustrating to try and keep a constant speed. Especially at low speed in 1st or 2nd without the whiplash.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And yes. If you just read my post, it's 73 degrees here in Denver at 10:30am. It's supposed to get up to 80 to 85 around town. Not bad for the last day of winter, huh??

·
Registered
823 Posts
My 02 also had the slop and I have two friends that ride 03's and they both have adjusted the slop out of the throttle.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
I reckon sloppy throttle and cruise control lag are common as delivered nags. I wonder if it would screw-up the system if one calaibrated the cruise first and then the throttle later? I did forget about checking for unwanted idel advace by taking teh handle bars through teh whole range of motion -- good follow-up.

prs

·
Registered
823 Posts
I adjusted my cruise first and sometime later adjusted the throttle, all is well. Also check your left and right full turn by running the revs up to 2000 or so and turning the bars full left and then letting go of the throttle and see if it drops as it should. Then do the same for the other side.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is an older post. Can this be done with a 2006 GL1800?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Yes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts