GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get to lube the throttle cables? The service manual is vague on this subject. I tried taking off the knurled nuts but it still doesn't give enough clearance to get into the cable ends. Also, what's the best lubricant to use? Thanks

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I don't know how they did it but I had my dealer lube my throttle cables. Did it on the 1500 I had before too and the original cable was still in there when I traded it in at 137K. So, if you're in good with a service tech, ask him how he does it.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Loosen the handlebar at the top bridge and you can slip the throttle assembly off the end of the bar. That's the easiest way to access the area where you need to put in the oil.

This set up will lube ANY cable. We use it on our quads which get the muddy/dusty clay water in them that acts worse than sand. It's like cement, very fine dusty powder from the clay added to the cable. Very abrasive. This blows it all out and replaces it with lube. Home brew.....

·
Vendor
18,148 Posts
Loosen the handlebar at the top bridge and you can slip the throttle assembly off the end of the bar. That's the easiest way to access the area where you need to put in the oil.
:agree:... that is how I do it too. Get an actual spray can of cable lube from a m/c shop. The one I use is a Yamaha cable lube left over from my Waverunner days. Not sure if Honda makes one or not.

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
Digger posted a HOW TO with pics in our HOW TO wiki of this forum. I've never had a dual cable throttle grip apart before and the manaul does not show how to do it. I slacken the main adjuster fully and then unthread the uppper one get access to the innards and pull cable. Then shoot some between the metal outer grip with the damper weight removed. About every other years seems to keep it gong smooth as silk.

prs

·
DSI Keeper
9,172 Posts
OK, took apart the A cable to see if it was lined.

Don't know how well this will show as it is heavily overcasted right now. I have it laying on a piece of white paper to help with the contrast:

The cable is removed and only the sheath is here. I took a razor and made a light cut, enough to pull apart the plastic to expose the spiral still underneath:

If you look closer, it appears to have a black liner of some kind. Doubt it is teflon as it is almost always white.

If it is some kind of liner, then is it neccessary to lube them? I would think lubing them would attract dust and add to the wear. Don't know, only speculating. Maybe that is why the manual doesn't address lubing these cables?? :shrug:

A special thanks to TravelinLite for taking the trouble of riding 300 miles to personally deliver this cable to my house. :bow: :lol:

·
Vendor
18,148 Posts
You will find the instructions under the maintance part of the manual

Check for any deterioration or damage to the throttle
cables. Check the throttle grip for smooth
operation.
Check that the throttle opens and automatically
closes in all steering positions.
If the throttle grip does not return properly, lubricate
the throttle cables and overhaul and lubricate the
throttle grip housing.
For cable lubrication, disconnect the throttle cables
at their upper ends. Thoroughly lubricate the cables
and their pivot points with a commercially available
cable lubricant or a lightweight oil.
If the throttle grip still does not return properly,​
replace the throttle cables

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Digger posted a HOW TO with pics in our HOW TO wiki of this forum. I've never had a dual cable throttle grip apart before and the manaul does not show how to do it. I slacken the main adjuster fully and then unthread the uppper one get access to the innards and pull cable. Then shoot some between the metal outer grip with the damper weight removed. About every other years seems to keep it gong smooth as silk.

prs

And, Bob's your uncle!

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/show...-Lubrication&p=1921100&viewfull=1#post1921100

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
This is what we use to push lube into dirt bike and quad >CLICK< cables. I also pushes out the dirt for the most part.

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
Digger:

How did you know about Uncle Bob?

prs

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Posted twice. Does Digger do anything else other than resurrect these threads? (yeah yeah I know, he's a space jockey)

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
Yep, got me too. Digger digs 'm up. I still don't get the Uncle Bob and Aunt Fanny thing. What's up with that gig?

prs

·
Registered
482 Posts
Could be black

OK, took apart the A cable to see if it was lined.

Don't know how well this will show as it is heavily overcasted right now. I have it laying on a piece of white paper to help with the contrast:

The cable is removed and only the sheath is here. I took a razor and made a light cut, enough to pull apart the plastic to expose the spiral still underneath:

If you look closer, it appears to have a black liner of some kind. Doubt it is teflon as it is almost always white.

If it is some kind of liner, then is it neccessary to lube them? I would think lubing them would attract dust and add to the wear. Don't know, only speculating. Maybe that is why the manual doesn't address lubing these cables?? :shrug:
A special thanks to TravelinLite for taking the trouble of riding 300 miles to personally deliver this cable to my house. :bow: :lol:
Murgie it could be black Teflon. I worked in a plant many years ago that used large steam heated drying drum stacks (paper and textile industry) and the cans were wrapped with either a black or light green Teflon sheet.

John

·
Registered
748 Posts
I like to use a dry lube....kind of the same stuff you use on bushtec suspension bushings. I prefer the Superlube brand (it is a teflon lube). I like dry lube because it does not attract the dirt and stuff that oil does.

My method is simple but takes a while. I fill up the cap from the can with lube. Then, I just use an eye dropper. Put a drop or to into the cable in and when the bubble clears, do it again. It will eventually run out the bottom or you will get tired. Either way, it is enough. I do it in conjunction with a Air Filter change; that is best way to see the lower end of the cables. use a bit of air from your compressor if you want to hurry it along.

I also know a guy who uses modeling clay. He molds a bit of clay around the cable ends, like a funnel. Fills it with lube and walks away. (puts a good rag at the other end of the cable).

either way works.

And OBTW: I have NEVER seen a throttle or clutch cable on anybike that broke anyplace but in the handle, where it exits the cable housing and rides on the throttle pieces. I take the bottlm of the throttle housing off and stuff some nice thick black grease in the cable track so it stays lubed when turning the throttle. If you do nothing else....ADD GREASE.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
I suspect that since the cables are supplied dry from the factory that they are indeed Teflon, or one of the newer similar products out there. And considering how long they go without maintenance, that is just further proof.

Teflon comes in many colors. It is usually a light or dark shade of gray or black.

Despite what the Honda manual says, I would never use a lubricant on something Teflon coated. Lubricants won't adhere to Teflon coated materials. It just slides right off, making it kind of a pointless exercise.

Dirt bikes are a different animal completely. They are designed to be lubed. The dirt that gets in them requires that the cables be flushed out and re-lubed frequently.

If my throttle cables ever start sticking, I will lube them with Teflon lube as a temporary fix, but I will replace them as soon as reasonably possible. IMO, this is not a function you want to screw around with and be cheap about.

FWIW, Digger is one of the few here that uses the forum the way a forum is supposed to be used. Why start a new thread when one already exists that you can add to? My hat's off to you Digger. Keep digging.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts