GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my throttle cable when I let go off of the throttle does not snap back as quick. I have an 01 wing with honda manual. I have followed the instructions to lube the throttle cable. Put it back together and it doesn't snap back. I know it needs adjustment, however I don't want to screw it up and am curious does anyone have a good way or explain to adjust properly so I have the proper amount of tension and slack. I have looked around and googled wing videos and have found lots of videos but not specific to the wing. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you checked that the rubber on the grip is not sticking either to the handlebar controls or the bar end? I’ve had this problem on other bikes, and that is Usually the simplest thing to check.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Crud can get in between the rotating and stationary parts of the grip. I had that happen once for reasons I still can't explain. The simple fix was spraying a generous amount of WD 40 between the two and working it. Another simple thing to try first.

Reactions: rayjoe

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
My '03 throttle cable had gotten a bit slow to return on it's own, wouldn't snap back as you say. Lubricating it, pretty sure it required silicone but could be misremembering, brought back the snap but also as I recall it took a fair amount of working the throttle to get the lube down in the cable sheath.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Hi all, my throttle cable when I let go off of the throttle does not snap back as quick. I have an 01 wing with honda manual. I have followed the instructions to lube the throttle cable. Put it back together and it doesn't snap back. I know it needs adjustment, however I don't want to screw it up and am curious does anyone have a good way or explain to adjust properly so I have the proper amount of tension and slack. I have looked around and googled wing videos and have found lots of videos but not specific to the wing. Thanks for your input.
I usually find poor snap back is caused by one of the following. Most common is towards the top of the list:
- aftermarket risers
- aftermarket triple tree
- grease needed between the grip and the bar (lithium based grease)
- cables need lubed
- cable routing issue
- damaged cable(s)

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
If cable lube and making sure there is no binding anywhere doesn’t help then I would remove the top shelter and lube the return spring located on the left side of the throttle body, anyway that has worked very well for me.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Early year models had some history of the major adjuster area of the cable getting in kink behind the left fork tube. Cable ties could be applied to keep it on the straight course. TriFlow is what I used to lube cables and that area to the left of throttle body. Frayed cable(s)? Replace all at once. Big job.

prs

Reactions: cycledude
1 - 7 of 7 Posts