GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
In the bottom picture, right at the bottom edge, you can just see the clip that the throttle cables should be retained by. The clip is on the under side of the RH handlebar.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Is this a trike ??? Does it have Easy-Steer, or an aftermarket triple tree, or risers ???

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@dduelin, thanks. Are the cable supposed to get clipped there directly? I tried to (gently) pull them to go there but I wasn't able to move them. is there a video / technique / manual that explains how to do that?
@GoldWingrGreg: no trike, standard GL1800.

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
if you cant get them into the clip easily then they are not routed properly. Find a manual and see how they are routed, good luck

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
@dduelin , thanks. Are the cable supposed to get clipped there directly? I tried to (gently) pull them to go there but I wasn't able to move them. is there a video / technique / manual that explains how to do that?

Thanks again folks!
There should be enough slack for stock cables to clip into the underside of the handlebar. If not enough slack investigate further. Do the cables go through the wire clamp just below and behind the right fork tube?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so. I'm sure I'm missing something here ...

there's indeed a metal clip at the end of the right handle bar but the cables go indeed there (picture).

however: there's another plastic clip at the bottom of the right handle bar (other picture) and that's the one I cannot put the cables on.
Is this the other clip you guys were talking about? if yes, do you have any picture on how the cable should go there?

Thanks !!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
That black plastic cover part at the base of the handlebars looks like it's been moved. My wife's bike has risers and looks similar. Luca, what year is this bike, you the only owner or has it been owned by someone else previously? He may have risers on the handlebars and not realize it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Destindoc: it's a 2012 and no: I'm not the only owner as I bought that used 8 months ago.
How do I check if I have risers. Most importantly thou: should I try to fix the situation (and how)? or leaving the way it is will really not hurt anything?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Risers are a block of metal that will be between the base of the handlebars and the triple tree. Normally the handlebars are bolted directly to the triple tree. Risers look like this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/362502388836...MI-6Ptspzm5AIVieNkCh2g1Q_7EAQYASABEgLEZvD_BwE

You should zip tie your cables to the handlebars and pull them away from the rubbing they are doing, as long as that doesn't cause any problems. You see in that riser kit it has two zip ties... guess what they are for!

If you have risers, I gather the guy forgot that part...

And... if you have risers, and you are a regular to large size guy like me, you might want to remove the risers and return the handlebars to the normal position.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The instructions that came with my MBL risers said to pull the cables (and their rubber bushings) backward out of the clamps, as indicated in the picture above.

I went to the trouble of removing the rubber bushings and re-installing them further down the cable so they're still protected from the sharp metal clamp. It's not 100% of the slack it's supposed to create, but I think it protects the cable better and the throttle still works fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep... got risers! You guys have been super helpful once again!

this is how I temporarily fixed the situation.. At one point during the cold rainy days here in WA state I will re-route the cables back on the original plastic holder.

Thanks again!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,798 Posts

this is how I temporarily fixed the situation.. At one point during the cold rainy days here in WA state I will re-route the cables back on the original plastic holder.

Thanks again!!
That may not be so easy... risers move the handlebar's position such that the cables can't be put back in the clips. That's why that kit has the zip ties. You can certainly try it, but likelihood you won't be able to or if you do and then move the bars from lock to lock, the cables will bind up preventing normal movement of the bars or they will pop out of the clips.

Make SURE you have nothing preventing normal smooth easy movement of the handlebars...:wink2:

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts

Thanks again!!
Ideally, you will want to verify that your throttle snaps back when the throttle is twisted and released.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts