GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 6-speed Tour.

Throttle grip is sloppy. There is play side to side and end to end. Hope this is not normal. The more I ride this bike, the more I am aware of it and am annoyed by it. Solid grip on the left side, but loose on the right.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's a great day here in PA so maybe ride back to the dealer and compare it to another? I'd offer an opinion but mine is a 2010 and it might not be a good comparison.

·
Vendor
20,224 Posts
2018 6-speed Tour.

Throttle grip is sloppy. There is play side to side and end to end. Hope this is not normal. The more I ride this bike, the more I am aware of it and am annoyed by it. Solid grip on the left side, but loose on the right.
If the throttle grip in no way touches or rubs on the switch assembly, then it is probably normal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2018 DCT Tour here. I noticed this same thing when I was at the dealer buying the bike. I pointed it out and was told it is normal. I checked the several other new Goldwings on the floor there...all the same.

I've checked another dealer as well, after having purchased my bike, and, again, normal.

No one wants the throttle tight to the point where it may 'stick' or bind at speed. I supposed Honda determined that a bit of play is preferred to a bit of binding.

Your bike is just as it should be...completely normal and safe as to any potential binding or sticking issue.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
This was an annoyance for me too on my White Knight. I found an "O" ring just large enough to STRETCH over the stock grip end weight and fill the gap between the outer grip end and the weight. Worked like a charm! No slop and no drag. I had forgotten all about it until this post. The "O" ring I used was intended for an ammunition reloading die retaining nut, Lee Precision.

prs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Reading through these posts brought something to mind...

I don't know anyone's age on this forum, but I think some of you will recall the 'poor man's cruise control.'

While on the freeway, we'd hold the throttle where, or near where, we wanted it. Then with our left hand, we'd reach over and tighten a thumb screw on the throttle cable housing to hold the cable right in that spot. More often or not, this 'cruise control' was hand made through trial and error.

The old days...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was an annoyance for me too on my White Knight. I found an "O" ring just large enough to STRETCH over the stock grip and fill the gap between the inner grip end and the control housing. Worked like a charm! No slop and no drag. I had forgotten all about it until this post. The "O" ring I used was intended for an ammunition reloading die retaining nut, Lee Precision.

prs
I might try this. I'll lube it with silicone. I found 4 Lee o-rings on their site but only 2 that might fit: one that is 1.4" OD X 1.2" ID and another .81" X .68" Which one did you use?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
I might try this. I'll lube it with silicone. I found 4 Lee o-rings on their site but only 2 that might fit: one that is 1.4" OD X 1.2" ID and another .81" X .68" Which one did you use?
I specifically avoided stating the size, because I do not know. Here is the product the "O" ring fits and my guess is that the larger one you mention is most likely.

https://leeprecision.com/7-8-14-self-lock-ring-3.html

prs

·
Registered
225 Posts
Personally, I think you are crazy putting an O-ring between the housing and the grip. Be careful, one day it is going to bind on you. I know you said you are going to use silicone, but that could attract dirt which will cause friction.

If I sound like a weenie, I am, I've been on dirt bikes with stuck throttles in the woods and the results always hurt.

Be careful.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This was an annoyance for me too on my White Knight. I found an "O" ring just large enough to STRETCH over the stock grip and fill the gap between the inner grip end and the control housing. Worked like a charm! No slop and no drag. I had forgotten all about it until this post. The "O" ring I used was intended for an ammunition reloading die retaining nut, Lee Precision.

prs
what I did its works

·
Registered
20,443 Posts
I too would not suggest putting an o ring on the throttle for fear it may bind

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
I fear taking the "O" ring out as it would render the throttle overly sloppy (normal) again.

Actually, I fear not. Do what makes you happy and be responsible for own decisions. I did it, it works for me, I fear no adverse side effects. If the throttle sticks, then I will trip the red switch. Never read the Physician's Desk Reference is you take ANY medication as you will fear the possible adverse effects.

FDR said; "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

prs

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
I went back and edited my first post in this thread. I had misstated the location of my "O" ring! Like I said, I had forgotten all about it. The "O" ring sits between the end weight and outer edge of the grip. I noticed that just now as I went out to see if was at all bind prone. It is not. Before I did that, I do recall I could make my throttle hand up just about slow idle.

prs

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
IronMan
19,408 Posts
Personally, I think you are crazy putting an O-ring between the housing and the grip. Be careful, one day it is going to bind on you. I know you said you are going to use silicone, but that could attract dirt which will cause friction.

If I sound like a weenie, I am, I've been on dirt bikes with stuck throttles in the woods and the results always hurt.

Be careful.
"KILL SWITCH " !! BEFORE YA HIT THE TREE !!:wink2:>:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went back and edited my first post in this thread. I had misstated the location of my "O" ring! Like I said, I had forgotten all about it. The "O" ring sits between the end weight and outer edge of the grip. I noticed that just now as I went out to see if was at all bind prone. It is not. Before I did that, I do recall I could make my throttle hand up just about slow idle.

prs
I appreciate you sharing what you did. I was already thinking of trying it on the outside first. With a 6-speed, I'm used to grabbing the clutch when I grab the brake anyway so I'm not worried about any danger from it interfering with the throttle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There has to be a certain amount of free play to ensure that the throttle doesn’t bind. You really can’t perceive it when you're riding. My free play is only about 1/16th of an inch or so.
I can perceive it or I wouldn't have started this discussion. Mine has slightly less than 1/16" play in both directions and when riding on curvy mountain roads, I find a sloppy hand grip annoying.

My other bike is a Kaw 650 Versys which cost me a fraction of what the Gold Wing cost and there is no play front to back and barely any end to end. I know the Kaw has a cable and the Gold Wing does not. I've owned 3 previous bikes before that and I do not remember ever having a hand grip that moved around and none ever had a problem binding.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts