GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 GL1800 is about 10 days old with 300 miles on it. I washed it 4 days ago and parked in the shop, everything was good.
Today I got some grip puppies to install. I was going to check operation of the throttle for baseline info before installation. What the heck...it's like the cruise is engaged or something. I started the motor, turned bars lock to lock, turned cruise off and on, nothing helped. I killed the motor and operated the throttle a few times. To open the throttle it's kinda stiff. When I manually return the throttle it feels like little detents or notches??? It's like something is engaged.
I did adjust the freeplay from the throttle cable before my last ride- 150 miles, no problems. Throttle still has small amount of freeplay.

Anyone have a clue what's going on???

Thanks

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
sounds like you have a bad throttle cable, rare but it happens

hopefully you have a trailer or your dealer can pick it up for you, DO NOT attempt to ride it untill it is fixed

look at the bright side atleast it happened at home instead of out in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday morning

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
.... I did adjust the freeplay from the throttle cable before my last ride- 150 miles, no problems. Throttle still has small amount of freeplay.

Anyone have a clue what's going on??
Less than 300 miles and you had to adjust the throttle freeplay?

I think if you put it back like it was you would solve your problem. It's real easy to take out too much of the play.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just wondering if when messing with the grip puppies (I don't know what those are?!?) but anyway, could the throttle cable have jumped out of the groove it sits in. If you pop the cover,( I think 2 screws) you can look to see if the cables are sitting properly in those grooves. Otherwise, I agree with the others, it's a dangerous situation and should be fixed ASAP!! If you have a manual, there are pictures of how the cables are accessed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks guys for your help. Took to the Honda shop. They diagnosed a kinked pull throttle cable (new ones on order).
After this I remember moving the wing 2-3 times in my shop and always parked with steering locked. The way Honda routed the cables on this wing it bent the cable into too short of a radius thus making a permenant binding.

Thanks again,
TOS

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
your gripp puppy is not touching your handle bar weight or when you put them on you didn't push the factory grips so far int the electronics switch box on the handle bar that it is not moving freely....

maybe an easy fix....:shrug:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Glad you found the problem. Why do you lock the steering when it's in your shop? I have a friend that locks it when it's in his garage!! I never lock mine, even on vacations in hotel parking lots, has anyone ever had a Gold Wing stolen? A guy once told me he covers his Harley with a cover the says "GOLDWING" on it, no one steals gold wings he said.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Actually, I do use the parking lock when parking it outside. Not because I'm afraid someone will steal it, but because with the bike on the side stand it will lean more to the left if the wheel is locked to the left. This can be helpful if you are forced to park on a sloping surface or if you want to park it leaning into the wind as much as possible.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I don't remember ever hearing about throttle cable issues on the 1500's. Between the trunk lid problems and transmission shiffter fork problems and thin coatings on the aluminum wheels what is this world coming too?:eek:4:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Wow! Now I know how to amass 8000 posts in just three years - post the same answer as everyone else, five hours after the issue was resolved. :thumbup: :joke:
I appreciate Laen. In most cases, its the volume of replies that indicate a course of action that persuades a person to take action. Not an individual reply.

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
I don't remember ever hearing about throttle cable issues on the 1500's. Between the trunk lid problems and transmission shiffter fork problems and thin coatings on the aluminum wheels what is this world coming too?:eek:4:
if u never heard of all those issues with the 1500 my guess is u were not paying attention

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sometimes the cable will pop out of the L-shaped holder under the bar and when it is new and there is no stretch it can bind at full lock. Unusual but possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts