GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 GL1800 ABS
Everyone who sits on my bike says there is a problem with the throttle. They say there is too much play (twist) before the throttle actually starts working.

The cables on top do not move, just the single wire on the bottom of the grip. Any advise?
thanks

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
There is an minor adjustment in the one cable on top by the grip. Loosen the 10mm and adjust the 8mm. I like mine with about an 1/8th of free play. Make sure when the bike is warm and that when you can turn the h-bars from side to side there is no RPM increase. Sometimes you will need more free play then 1/8" so the RPMs won't increase. If there is not enough adj there, there is a major adjustment in the cable on the left side of the frame rail near the steering head. To get to that one, take off the black plastic sheild on top of the lower engine cowl in front. It sits between the radiators.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Also note that the less play in the throttle, the better the cruise works. Throttle play should be set to a minimum than criuse slack can be adjusted out.

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
Less free play ... most will also have more throttle control in parking lot manuvers.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Less free play ... most will also have more throttle control in parking lot manuvers.
Yep! That makes a HUGE difference. Gets rid of a lot of "herky-jerky" action.

The major throttle adjuster (turnbuckel barrel) is behind the left fork just where the cable crosses over the upper center cowl. If the upper adjuster is already out a good bit, turn it in "almost" all the way. Then adjust the throttle cable slack with the major adjuster the way Greg explained. Then, if necessary, tweek with upper adjuster.

Like the other poster above, I have had the best success with cruise adjustment when the cruise is LOOSE as the throttle play is adjusted and then set the cruise. I am not sure why it matters as the systems seem to be pretty much independant; but I gotta admit that the issue of over and under shoot of cruise is pretty much eliminated if done that way on my bike.

prs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts