GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike 01, 1800 with 92K. Symptoms, intermittant ( not a blessing), idle hunting or surging on start-up, warm or cold, sometimes will stumble at a stop light, momentary miss while cruising ( doesn't seem to matter what speed ). Did it a bunch today, may not do it again for a week?????
Leaving for NC on the 14th. A local Honda tech said maybe a throttle position sensor, but he wanted to hook it up to his computer $$$$.
No F codes!
Any suggestions beyond Techron and seafoam? Already tried Seafoam and different brands of fuel. Puzzeling???

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
What you are describing is exactly the way a defective TPS acts.

You have to tear half the bike apart to get to it, then you can check the voltage to it with throttle off and as you move the throttle .

That thing sits on the throttle body. (bad news is it is also a part of it)

All the seafoam in the store will not help it.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Once the top shelter is off you can test the TPS to make sure before spending big bucks on a complete throttle body.
At the plug on the TPS, you'll see three wires. With the key on, there should be between 4.75 and 5.25 volts between the yellow/red and green/red wires. With throttle closed, there should be between 0.4 and 0.6 volts between the light green and green/red wires. These wires are also accessible at the 22-pin grey connector on the ECM.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
throttle body

Guys,
Thanks I think. Kit, thats not really good news. I wonder if it will stay ridaable till winter? Looks like they are calling the sensor a MAP. 82. from HDL. Entire throttle body is over 400. I'll check the voltages and see what that tells me. Problem is it seems to work a lot of the time. :frown:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Guys,
Thanks I think. Kit, thats not really good news. I wonder if it will stay ridaable till winter? Looks like they are calling the sensor a MAP. 82. from HDL. Entire throttle body is over 400. I'll check the voltages and see what that tells me. Problem is it seems to work a lot of the time. :frown:
Testing is fine, but intermittent is a royal pain. There is an ohm test also that will more likely indicate a problem. I hate intermittent nonsense. :tongue: Cause you test it and it is fine, go down the road one mile and there it goes again.

You can buy the part of the throttle body needed for around 260 or so, and there are salvage shop around that you can sign up for and state what you are looking for. Takes a bit of time , but sometimes you can find something like that.

Reactions: onan

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
throttle body

Kit,
I don't understand. What is going bad? Is it the sensor or the throttle body itself? I thought the sensor.
I did have the front end off recently to do the Race-tec gold valve thing, so the throttle cables were fussed with during that operation and I have handle bar risers, so that is another point. I'll check all that out also to see if there is anything there. ( grasping as straws here ).
I just rode it home from by SO's house and everything was great. We're riding for a couple of hours this am, so I'll see how it acts. Did I mention how much I hate intermittant problems?????? Sheeeesh!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Easy stuff first.... Did you do the recommended ECM reset yet.????

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit,
I don't understand. What is going bad? Is it the sensor or the throttle body itself? I thought the sensor.
I did have the front end off recently to do the Race-tec gold valve thing, so the throttle cables were fussed with during that operation and I have handle bar risers, so that is another point. I'll check all that out also to see if there is anything there. ( grasping as straws here ).
I just rode it home from by SO's house and everything was great. We're riding for a couple of hours this am, so I'll see how it acts. Did I mention how much I hate intermittant problems?????? Sheeeesh!
Well I am not against learning something new , try to every chance I get.
But unless there is a source for the sensor itself, it seems to not be available by itself.
I have been told so, and i have checked some parts lists and cannot find it separately. But it could exist and I just do not know where to look.

So that is what I mean.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Throttle position sensor

Update from riding today. Rode about 150 miles with no events! Everything was perfect. I have done an ECM reset and I had a chance today to wind it up a little. I normally shift pretty early. I had a long hill ( about 5 - 7% grade and about 4 mi long ). I slowed to about 20 mph in second and wound each gear out to about 5500 rpm , hit about 95 before I ran into traffic and had to slow. Never missed a beat. I'll run it a few more days and see how its behaving and continue to gather info.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
tha sounds great did you do the emc reset cause My 06 been doing the same thing I think cruise down the road any speed and it feels like someone turn the key off then on for s split second. told dealer 6 times already and can't produce it so no problem.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Well I am not against learning something new , try to every chance I get.
But unless there is a source for the sensor itself, it seems to not be available by itself.
I have been told so, and i have checked some parts lists and cannot find it separately. But it could exist and I just do not know where to look.

So that is what I mean.
I did a little googling about Honda TPS. Interesting finds. Seems that the voltages and resistances on the Honda car TPS are the same as the GW1800. Both are held on by 2 screws. Both have what appears to be the same connector.

So knowing that manufacturers like to get as much use of their parts bins as possible, do you suppose that a Honda car TPS would work on the GW1800? Why reinvent the wheel? After all, someone on this forum got a GW1800 fuel pump motor from a major auto parts chain for ~$90.

The "problem" with replacing the TPS is "calibrating" the sensor to the shaft position. The TPS is held by screw slots that allow the TPS to be rotated to get the proper resistance at idle and WOT. But the slots are small and it appears that the adjustment is minimal. Setting the position by the resistance really doesn't seem that difficult.

" Did I mention how much I hate intermittant problems??????" Techs and service department managers hate them as much if not more than you do.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I did a little googling about Honda TPS. Interesting finds. Seems that the voltages and resistances on the Honda car TPS are the same as the GW1800. Both are held on by 2 screws. Both have what appears to be the same connector.

So knowing that manufacturers like to get as much use of their parts bins as possible, do you suppose that a Honda car TPS would work on the GW1800? Why reinvent the wheel? After all, someone on this forum got a GW1800 fuel pump motor from a major auto parts chain for ~$90.

The "problem" with replacing the TPS is "calibrating" the sensor to the shaft position. The TPS is held by screw slots that allow the TPS to be rotated to get the proper resistance at idle and WOT. But the slots are small and it appears that the adjustment is minimal. Setting the position by the resistance really doesn't seem that difficult.

" Did I mention how much I hate intermittant problems??????" Techs and service department managers hate them as much if not more than you do.
Good points ChgoD. I have heard of a few other interchangeable parts as well but have never tried any of them. On the TPS you have to wonder if it is not the same part.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
The '85 LTD and '86 SEi were notorious for TPS problems, primarily because of the price and eventual no-availability of the replacements. Automotive TPS have been adapted, throttle bodies from junked cars cannibalized, etc. Honda did not make this part easy for us. They could have, many cars have an easy to replace TPS that is not security bolt mounted to the throttle body. After all, it is just a custom plastic potentiometer.

BTW, when testing, use an analog meter - a digital may not catch a rough spot.

eBay presently shows several throttle bodies with TPS intact for less than $100 shipped.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
There is a spare throttle body on my shelf that might take a flying trip for a small contribution to my gas fund... PM me if interested....

·
Vendor
18,609 Posts
My bet says his symptom returned, and to fix it by replacing the ECM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts