GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...2018 DCT...we have four modes Tour / Sport / Rain / Econ

The bike defaults to Tour on every startup...not sure if you can change that have not found a setting yet,,,

Here is what I notice...I typically drive in tour mode...have a very bumpy road on the way to work....so...on every bump my hand turns the throttle...thus engine revs and so forth...I could put it into Rain mode to make the throttle less responsive...

Question...Is the throttle totally controlled by the ECM or is there a friction setting that can be tweaked to help the control of the throttle on bumpy roads?

Thoughts

·
Registered
368 Posts
No friction setting as the throttle is throttle-by-wire. The response for a given twist is indeed different depending on the mode you are in. Rain mode would be best for a bumpy road, given your example.

Attachments

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
OK...2018 DCT...we have four modes Tour / Sport / Rain / Econ

The bike defaults to Tour on every startup...not sure if you can change that have not found a setting yet,,,

Thoughts
You will not find a “setting” that allows you to change the default Tour on startup.

:doorag:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I have the same bumpy road issue..... Enough bumps and the engine just goes spastic. I have found Econ smooths that out the best. I have used my thumb to put against the edge rim and the switch cluster to help stabilize against inadvertent rotation. This ends up being useful when you are not able to use cruise. I do try to use cruise as often as I can (I always have) and I tend to grumble loudly at cars that I sometimes drive that insists on turning it off all the time. Thank you Honda for not doing this as well.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
grip puppies foam grips. these smooth out the throttle movements for me a lot. the larger diameter also allows you to modulate the movement of the throttle with greater precision

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have a mile long dirt road that when dry can get very soft. I use rain or econ. Yes the throttle is a waker upper!>:)

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
The Grip Puppies is a very nice aid, enlarges the diameter of the tiny throttle grip. Another tip is to loosen that "death grip" on the bars. Control the throttle with the tip pad of your thumb and the tip pads of a couple of fingers and fingers. Relax and go with the flow. In such bumpy situations, you may be prime candidate for Traxxion suspension to help smooth things out.

prs

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I know exactly what you are describing. It is the largest complaint I have about the suspension. I cannot afford an upgrade but if I could I would try this. Before and after videos. The video will work after you click on it again to view on Youtube...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Grip Puppies is a very nice aid, enlarges the diameter of the tiny throttle grip. Another tip is to loosen that "death grip" on the bars. Control the throttle with the tip pad of your thumb and the tip pads of a couple of fingers and fingers. Relax and go with the flow. In such bumpy situations, you may be prime candidate for Traxxion suspension to help smooth things out.

prs
I know exactly what you are describing. It is the largest complaint I have about the suspension. I cannot afford an upgrade but if I could I would try this. Before and after videos. The video will work after you click on it again to view on Youtube...

Thanks guys...I do have the grip puppies installed...the road I drive on has bumps that are like frost heaves so they are sharp bumps....I have the full Traxxion system install...the system works great in sharp turns that have dips in the road...the Traxxion system does not improve ride performance or comfort on roads that have sharp bumps like very narrow frost heaves....Sorry Max...but the Gold Wing is not a smooth bike on bumpy roads...unless my traxxion system is not set right....I ride in the one passenger one suitcase mode, but have tried all of them....again good in sweeping dips...but the bike is jolting to ride when is comes to high but narrow bumps...my truck rides ten time smoother than the bike....I wish there was a solution but I don't think there is...

If there is one complaint I have on the new Gold Wing it is the suspension IMO it was not improved from the 2010 and 2014...

·
Registered
78 Posts
The ECON mode works pretty good at reducing the sensitivity of the throttle grip. It also allows a greater amount of coasting, or freewheeling on deceleration. I use ECON most of the time for just this reason but ECON uses very low shift points so sometimes I'm in a higher gear than I'd prefer. I don't like RAIN mode at all. The motor runs weird in RAIN.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks guys...I do have the grip puppies installed...the road I drive on has bumps that are like frost heaves so they are sharp bumps....I have the full Traxxion system install...the system works great in sharp turns that have dips in the road...the Traxxion system does not improve ride performance or comfort on roads that have sharp bumps like very narrow frost heaves....Sorry Max...but the Gold Wing is not a smooth bike on bumpy roads...unless my traxxion system is not set right....I ride in the one passenger one suitcase mode, but have tried all of them....again good in sweeping dips...but the bike is jolting to ride when is comes to high but narrow bumps...my truck rides ten time smoother than the bike....I wish there was a solution but I don't think there is...

If there is one complaint I have on the new Gold Wing it is the suspension IMO it was not improved from the 2010 and 2014...
Very interesting. Thanks

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
The ECON mode works pretty good at reducing the sensitivity of the throttle grip. It also allows a greater amount of coasting, or freewheeling on deceleration. I use ECON most of the time for just this reason but ECON uses very low shift points so sometimes I'm in a higher gear than I'd prefer. I don't like RAIN mode at all. The motor runs weird in RAIN.
What do you mean by “the motor runs weird in RAIN?” :shrug:

:doorag:

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
labrider, have you tried lowering the tire pressures? Maybe 32 front and 34 rear, and put up with the TPMS signal until the tires warm up. Mabe a non-runflat alternative rear tire?

The frost hooves are not so bad around here.

prs

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Might be better to adjust the pre-load setting instead.

IMHO, running low tire pressure is always a bad idea.

RAIN will provide softer damping, ans well as softer throttle response.

ECON mode has a gentler engine feel than with TOUR mode.
For models equipped with DCT, shifting characteristics are oriented to maintain low and middle engine speeds. mode:

RAIN mode has a gentler engine feel and softer suspension damping characteristics than with TOUR mode.
For models equipped with DCT, shifting characteristics are gentler than those with TOUR mode

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Might be better to adjust the pre-load setting instead.

IMHO, running low tire pressure is always a bad idea.

RAIN will provide softer damping, ans well as softer throttle response.

ECON mode has a gentler engine feel than with TOUR mode.
For models equipped with DCT, shifting characteristics are oriented to maintain low and middle engine speeds. mode:

RAIN mode has a gentler engine feel and softer suspension damping characteristics than with TOUR mode.
For models equipped with DCT, shifting characteristics are gentler than those with TOUR mode
He is Traxxionized, so the change of front suspension with mode changes is disabled, all are the same.

prs

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

Econ does not affect my shift points at all. It does not shift if I don't shift it, and I always know when I want to shift. But smoothing out a spastic throttle on a bumpy road is a benefit. The downside, I would rather have shock dampening on "sport" (decouple caps ordered). Not sure if there are other downsides yet. I don't like "rain" mode either. It reminds me having carbonated engines.

Loosening my grip on the throttle only makes inadvertent bump rotation worse, been there, done that, that was actually when I started noticing the problem. Using my thumb as a stabilizer will just have to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
He is Traxxionized, so the change of front suspension with mode changes is disabled, all are the same.

prs[/QUOTE]

I was just at Max’s shop a few days ago. He told me with the Traxxion system it retains the mode changes and improves them.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

prs

That is news to me....I will have to call Max on that one...?...Max Thoughts?

How did they disable it...?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts