GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
After lurking around here for a while, I decided to join and I thought, what better way to introduce myself then to ask a question.
I just recently added MBL Risers (Wide) to a '10 GL1800 and have noticed that the throttle is much more sensitive than prior to the install. I have checked for pinching and binding and found none and have also pulled a bit more slack from under the headlight without any change. Also, if I turn the handlebars from lock to lock positions, there is no change to the idle.
Could this just be a different position that I need to get used to, or could I be missing something.
Thanks for any input you may have!

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
I sounds like everything is correct, other then the cables are routed further from the throttle body after adding risers. I sounds like you will have to get used to it.

Oh, welcome to the board.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Adding risers can stress the cables, hoses, and wiring harness form upper controls. Just make sure you have some free slack in all and that the throttle cable under the left headlamp, where the turn buckle is, is not now kinked or in a bind.

prs

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Medic1,

I just finished my MBL Riser (wide) install this past weekend on my '06.

I did find one pinch point after my install and rerouting of the throttle cables.

There is a U-shaped bent wire "loom" that is attached to the top back side of the right front fork. The throttle cables run through that before they head left around the front of the steering head to the other side of the frame.

That was the pinch point for me. Leaving the cables in that wire loom was just enough for them to pull hard against it after the riser install.

I eliminated that pinch point by removing the throttle cables from that wire loom and re-attaching the cables to that loom with a wide cable-tie. Now the cables are still held in place but behind and to the left of the wire loom, allowing just a bit more slack in the cables and much less of a pinch point. That wire loom is pretty stiff and can actually put a kink in the cables if they get pulled hard against it over time.

Here's a picture of that area showing what I did.

Good advice on the readjustment of the cable play as well. Definitely do that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for your input. I removed the throttle cables from the lower u-shaped "wire" holder and tightened the lower throttle cable adjustment (not easy, but do-able once I figured out which way was tightening vs. loosening) and that seemed to correct the issue. I left the upper adjustment alone for further "fine tuning."

Thanks again to all!!!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Why install these risers is my question??? Motorcycle was made for the stock bars, adding Chinese risers, you must go back and remove all the cables and brake lines and replace with aftermarket Chinese and all wii gel up perfect. So "A" leave alone, or "B" go into the splendid world of China. I'll stay "A" myself, but adding 22 Chinese cables and brake lines could be great too for a lot of the guys, just not my thing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Why install these risers is my question??? Motorcycle was made for the stock bars, adding Chinese risers, you must go back and remove all the cables and brake lines and replace with aftermarket Chinese and all wii gel up perfect. So "A" leave alone, or "B" go into the splendid world of China. I'll stay "A" myself, but adding 22 Chinese cables and brake lines could be great too for a lot of the guys, just not my thing.
With some appropriate small relocation of cables, and using wire ties to hold the cables in their new locations, Reg risers (made in the USA) use the stock cable, hoses etc. The installation isn't a piece of cake, but it's not extremely difficult. Don't drop the nuts into the bike.

The position of the bars on the GL1800 is a compromise to roughly fit every imaginable rider. Some of us find that moving the bar position a bit makes the bike much more comfortable for our particular bodies. See the generally positive reviews here:

http://207.150.204.201/view_reviews.asp?pid=5874&str=4

A few reviews are from people couldn't get them to fit. As I said, the installation is not a piece of cake. Some care/creativity/skill in routing cables/hoses is required. As are nimble fingers. I imagine a pro mechanic would have little problem.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Turn the bars to each lock and hold them there while you "blip" the throttle... if you have some binding going on expect the throttle to either not return to "zero" or do so slowly.

Sounds like you already have it under control though!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Like Tryker said, the handlebars on the GL1800 are a compromise to fit the average rider. And, unfortunately, they are not adjustable like those on many other bikes.

Note that the riser install does NOT require changing any brake/clutch cables, just some careful rerouting of the stock cables and repositioning under the existing cable anchor points. So, no "Chinese" replacement parts are being used.

For short riders like me (5'-8") getting the bars back an inch closer has made a world of difference in long distance riding comfort. Best money I've ever spent on my bike so far. Used to get nasty kinks in my back between my shoulderblades before I put the risers on.

Considering that you've got your feet touching the ground while sitting on the back seat :shock:, you probably don't have a problem with the stock bar position!

In motorcycling, one size does not fit all!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again all! I was originally planning on simply lengthening my arms surgically or stretching them through excessive force, but then I'd have to replace all of my long sleeve shirts, and that just didn't seem worth it. So, risers will have to do for now. Now..... How to decrease foot size without a saw or clamp..... Hmmmmm :joke:

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Thanks again all! I was originally planning on simply lengthening my arms surgically or stretching them through excessive force, but then I'd have to replace all of my long sleeve shirts, and that just didn't seem worth it. So, risers will have to do for now. Now..... How to decrease foot size without a saw or clamp..... Hmmmmm :joke:
Now that's some funny poop right there.:agree:

later..Randy

·
Registered
989 Posts
I recently road my friends bike with stock bar location. It is a more fun ride than
with risers(which I have). I have shorter arms than alot of people and for long
rides the stock bars killed me but it is more flickable with stock bars! :thumbup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
I recently road my friends bike with stock bar location. It is a more fun ride than
with risers(which I have). I have shorter arms than alot of people and for long
rides the stock bars killed me but it is more flickable with stock bars! :thumbup:
Sure, and it isn't only for GL1800s and/or people with a certain length arm. The leaned forward position makes any bike more "flickable". Which is one reason why why some people like to lean forward a bit, and it's one of the reasons why sport bikes have a severe lean forward.

But some of us who don't go real fast around corners like the sit up and beg position, on two wheels. On three there are real advantages to the bars coming back some. For one thing, on a trike, especially one with a rake kit, you use a good amount more turn on the bars, and the far one starts to get awfully far away in a sharp corner.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The GL1800 is ergonomically cramped and that is an understatement of the case for those of us who are a bit lanky and tall. One of my first mods was to install the original type Reg Risers. It helped get the bars up a bit. The "K" Mic0O-Pegs helped too, as did the excellent heal/toe shifter and peg relocation kit from Waldo (total USA products). But I was still cramped and sprung for a Canadian made product, Ultimate Big Boy seat set. Still a bit cramped for leg room, but the overall group of mods was far better for me, except my arms were too bent. I took the risers off and the fit is better for me with them off than on. To each his own, if I had shorter arms the risers would be bliss.

prs

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't need surgery.
I think this fellow is getting ready to step up to a wing but doesnt want to spend the extra for risers.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts