GL1800Riders Forums banner

Throttle Sensitivity after Riser Install

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  BearOnt 
Medic1,

I just finished my MBL Riser (wide) install this past weekend on my '06.

I did find one pinch point after my install and rerouting of the throttle cables.

There is a U-shaped bent wire "loom" that is attached to the top back side of the right front fork. The throttle cables run through that before they head left around the front of the steering head to the other side of the frame.

That was the pinch point for me. Leaving the cables in that wire loom was just enough for them to pull hard against it after the riser install.

I eliminated that pinch point by removing the throttle cables from that wire loom and re-attaching the cables to that loom with a wide cable-tie. Now the cables are still held in place but behind and to the left of the wire loom, allowing just a bit more slack in the cables and much less of a pinch point. That wire loom is pretty stiff and can actually put a kink in the cables if they get pulled hard against it over time.

Here's a picture of that area showing what I did.

Good advice on the readjustment of the cable play as well. Definitely do that.

Why install these risers is my question??? Motorcycle was made for the stock bars, adding Chinese risers, you must go back and remove all the cables and brake lines and replace with aftermarket Chinese and all wii gel up perfect. So "A" leave alone, or "B" go into the splendid world of China. I'll stay "A" myself, but adding 22 Chinese cables and brake lines could be great too for a lot of the guys, just not my thing.
Like Tryker said, the handlebars on the GL1800 are a compromise to fit the average rider. And, unfortunately, they are not adjustable like those on many other bikes.

Note that the riser install does NOT require changing any brake/clutch cables, just some careful rerouting of the stock cables and repositioning under the existing cable anchor points. So, no "Chinese" replacement parts are being used.

For short riders like me (5'-8") getting the bars back an inch closer has made a world of difference in long distance riding comfort. Best money I've ever spent on my bike so far. Used to get nasty kinks in my back between my shoulderblades before I put the risers on.

Considering that you've got your feet touching the ground while sitting on the back seat :shock:, you probably don't have a problem with the stock bar position!

In motorcycling, one size does not fit all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.