GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing the Dual Star grip heaters along with the Kuryakyn Iso-grips.
As long as I had to tear off my old grips I figured I'd remove the throttle sleeve and lube the sleeve and the throttle cables...............

What kind of lube should you use for the cables and the throttle sleeve?

The service manual says to use grease on the throttle sleeve...............seems like grease would get thick when it's cold out and possibly cause slow throttle return. :shock:

How about something like Honda silicone spray for both the cables and throttle sleeve?

Thanks for any help................. :clap2:

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Light weight oil such as sewing machine oil. I have used that in my cables and throttle sleeves for as long as I can remember.

Put the bike on it's sidestand and you can get a small amount between the sleeve and bar. I used my air compressor to force the oil between the sleeve and bar.

I'd be afraid of any grease I know of because it might just gum up after a period of time. Besides, it wouldn't be a simple task to get it in there.

Good Luck.....

·
Registered
846 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the inside of the cables are teflon and need no lubrication. If fact, adding lube supposedly does more harm than good. Anyone hear otherwise?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Try Mobile 1 synthetic grease. Red in color and thin enough as to not cause any binding when cold. Oil will dry out after awhile.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Since Honda recomends greasing the cable, you can be fairly certain that it is not teflon lined. Oiling or greasing a teflon lined cable would actually cause it to stick.

You definitely don't want to use oil. Oil congeals over time and will quickly wipe off. Silicone has the same problem in that it won't stay on the cable for long, not to mention that it will wash off any grease that is already on the cable.

I have always used lithium grease for cables. It has good adhering properties, it won't break down over time, and it won't cause the cable to be sluggish like a thick generic grease will. Assuming the throttle cable can be pulled out of the sheath like a speedo cable. just pull the cable out, wipe it down with grease, and reinstall it. I don't know how you would get grease in there any other way.

Hope this helps.
Larry

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found this in the GL1800 service manual:

Check for any deterioration or damage to the throttle cables. Check the throttle grip for smooth operation. Check that the throttle opens and automatically closes in all steering positions.

If the throttle grip does not return properly, lubricate the throttle cables and overhaul and lubricate the throttle grip housing.
For cable lubrication; disconnect the throttle cables at their upper ends. Thoroughly lubricate the cables and their pivot points with a commercially available cable lubricant or a lightweight oil.
If the throttle grip still does not return properly, replace the throttle cables.
As you can see Honda recommends lubrication of the cable and the throttle sleeve.

Thanks for all your comments............not sure I know what I'm going to use yet! :?

·
Registered
21,060 Posts
Brian_Fenner said:
I just found this in the GL1800 service manual:

Check for any deterioration or damage to the throttle cables. Check the throttle grip for smooth operation. Check that the throttle opens and automatically closes in all steering positions.

If the throttle grip does not return properly, lubricate the throttle cables and overhaul and lubricate the throttle grip housing.
For cable lubrication; disconnect the throttle cables at their upper ends. Thoroughly lubricate the cables and their pivot points with a commercially available cable lubricant or a lightweight oil.
If the throttle grip still does not return properly, replace the throttle cables.
Brian,
I think you might be miss reading the manual,....it says if the keyword is if IF THE THROTTLE GRIP DOES NOT RETURN PROPERLY! it does not say to lube it if it is working properly. My previous 1500 throttle and cable had 125,000 miles without lube and still worked as good as new. Most likely it will be just fine with lube also.

S

·
0 Posts
Low temp lithium grease works well on the sleeve and commercial cable lube that comes with the applicator also seems to be choice. The commercial lube seems to be more grease like than oil. I will admit the throttle gets slow with cold.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cycledude,

"An ounce of prevention..."

I'm replacing the grips/heaters and also replacing faulty Rivco Illuminators (warranty) so as long as I am there I am going to take care of this.
Once the Rivco Illuminator is put back on I can't get in this area any longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts