GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up an '03 mint GL1800 and the throttle twisted to full takes a few seconds to go back to spring back. What gives?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
just picked up an '03 mint GL1800 and the throttle twisted to full takes a few seconds to go back to spring back. What gives?
Hope it's what Bulldog says..............either that or you could have a throttle cable going bad. Either case it could be a nasty safety issue.

I had to replace the throttle cables on my '01 as they were mis-routed from the factory and ended up kinking the cable so it wouldn't return properly.
Replacing the cables is not for the faint of heart..........it's a huge job.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The cables should have a little slack in them. If they're too tight they can be slow to return. If the grips have been replaced make sure the throttle grip isn't rubbing against the throttle housing. If this all checks out, then I would say you have a glue or cable problem.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
My return rate was once retarded due to displacement caused by tunnel fillers -- I probably had them in wrong, but I jus took them out. Then it happened again about a year later and that time it was the inside rubber flange of the OE grip rubbing the outer edge of the hand throttle case. I warmed-up the OE grip and pulled it outward with quite a bit of force and gained a small amount of clearance without removing or re-glueing. I also put a dib of silicone grease inbetween those surfaces. While at that, I also used some TriFlow spray with the aerosol can straw to shoot some lube in between the rotating surfaces of grip handle just beyond the counter weight. Hope it is not the cable.

prs

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I brainfarted once and Greased My handlebar before putting the throttle on.
It was Real Slow to return.
So I pulled it again. Cleaned all the grease out and put a Dry Lube on it.
Works great now. Too if the cables are too tight this can cause it to be slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts