GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I went to help a widow get her 2000 1500 started. She hadn't had it running since July, 2010. Said battery kept going dead. We got it started, idled smoothly, (a miracle) the alternator checked out OK but the throttle cannot be turned at all. When attempting to speed up the engine, the cable would wiggle it's cover but won't actually move.

Any ideas about what might be stuck?

She said she thought the ignition switch was the cause of the battery drain and had purchased a new one. We tore everything off so as to get at the switch assembly, but ran out of time. If anyone had seen this thing, covered with mud, half taken apart, you never would have thought it would run.
The Wing is an amazingly resilient machine.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Rusted cables. Time for replacement.

On my TL I seem to have to replace the choke cable every other year. Somehow when it rains there is a funnel somewhere that loads the cable with water.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably right.

If there was ever a bike that was a candidate for rust, this is it. So....thaqt is prabaly the correct answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
This isn't a flood bike is it? That would be sad.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
This works on our quads to get out the Ohio clay dust/mud that can get into the oddest places. On "neglected" ones, I run some P'Blaster through it then Mobil 1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts