GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then a lapse in judgment catches up to each of us. I guess my turn was last Wednesday.
Work during the day was a bit challenging so by the time I left at 4pm I was a bit agitated. My route home is about 20 miles, mostly along scenic seldom traveled rural roads. I have traveled this route almost daily for 4-5 years so am very familiar with it.
As I approached a stop sign (a “T” in the road, see attached diagram) I slowed enough to be able to determine if a car was coming but not slow enough to have to put down a foot. As fate would have it, this is the one time a car was coming by so I had to come to a complete stop putting my foot down but leaving me slightly off balance. Once the car had passed I proceeded forward with my right hand turn, although still slightly off balance. One of things I’ve learned over the past 3 years is that a slight twist of the throttle will sometime stabilize things so that better balance control can be obtained, well needless to say, my slight twist was a bit too much (or maybe my work agitation was still present and my slight twist became a major twist). In any case, the back tire broke loose swinging the rear way out and then when it finally did find traction the forces then threw the motorcycle hard to the outside of the turn ejecting me off the high side and slamming me down onto the asphalt. As I said, these are very low traffic roads so I was not in danger of being run over (am very thankful for that!). As I lie there trying to breathe several guys from a nearby tree trimming business came over to check on me. (They also called the ambulance which I’m very grateful for). What I thought was the wind being knocked out of me ended up being 5 broken ribs and a clavicle broken in 3 places. Needless to say, the ride to the hospital was excruciatingly painful. The ribs will heal on their own per the doctors but the clavicle (collar bone) will take surgery (scheduled for Tuesday 9/20/11) in order to stabilize it. All in all, the body will probably take 3-6 month for a complete recovery.
I think the bike did better than I. The left front mirror assembly is broken off and scratches to the left rear speaker housing, left saddle bag cover, and both left side front and rear engine guards. I think it will heal much faster than I.

Lessoned learned, don’t let work (or life agitations) affect riding judgment. (And everyone, please try not to comment excessively on this one!) protective gear would have been better than the polo shirt and FF helmet I was wearing. Believe me, I’m hearing this one daily from my wife (who was scared sh_tless when the EMT called her as I was being transported in the ambulance to the ER).

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sorry you had that accident. Don't feel bad, all riders fit into 1 of 2 categories, been down or gonna go down. Hope your surgery and rehab go well, those ribs probably hurt more than that broken clavical. Your bike will be fine, just an oppurtunity to add some new shiny things to it.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Glad to hear that your injuries are all of the nature that a full recovery is sure. Sometimes, stuff happens, and when it does it usually happens fast. Not to be a know it all here, but one thing I have learned in over a million miles of riding is to choose the low side if a choice has to be made. On a lighter note, you must be doing pretty good because I was really impressed with you pictures/diagrams.....;)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Good Morning Doc :lol:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope all goes well and you do not laugh too much with those ribs.

I have a new dewalt power drill and some spring pins and some wire, let me know if the surgeon needs some help.

Stuff happens, and you never do know when.

Take Care

Kit

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
Bummer-hope you recover fully.
Cause of accident-RIDER ERROR

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
We learn something new everyday. Glad you will be O.K.. As for making a full stop. I have a buddy that does that EVERY TIME we come to a stop sign. Even in the middle of nowhere. He puts both feet down. I guess this a good reason to do that.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Thanks, good write up. Glad you had only minor damage, I'm guessing ATGATT wouldn't have made that much difference this time as you had a FF helmet on although depending on type and placement of armor ATGATT might have. Your post illustrates the major reason for ATGATT, you never know, no matter how short the ride, how well known the road, it can happen.

Thanks again for the man up post.

·
Registered
983 Posts
upside Down

Thanks for the great map of the accident.

As far as gear, its common to break ribs on small MC falls. Most touring gear has no padding for ribs, unlike motocross gear.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Sorry bout he wreck, but it coulda been worse...

If it happened in the spring, you woulda lost the summer on the bike.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thank you for sharing. It is always less painful to learn from another's mistakes. Good point you made about being mentally ready to ride. We have a saying in aviation that applies here. Divorce yourself from the ground. I wish you a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yup, it's amazing how much damage you can do to yourself on a low-speed dump. I know from experience:roll:

I love your cartoon rendition of the events...:yes1:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
We learn something new everyday. Glad you will be O.K.. As for making a full stop. I have a buddy that does that EVERY TIME we come to a stop sign. Even in the middle of nowhere. He puts both feet down. I guess this a good reason to do that.
I always do that. Not planning a complete stop was the beginning of the OP's disaster. As for being slammed to the pavement... I feel his pain... literally. Man does that hurt!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I feel for you. Broken bones hurt. I believe it is always a good idea to come to a complete stop and put both feet down but I know so many Wing riders who just come to a rolling stop and then cruise through the stop sign so that they don't have to put their feet down. That always concerned me. Glad you are going to be OK even though it will take some time.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well this is just all wrong,you told what really happened with out some larger excuse so that othesr may learn from this???you must have hit your head really hard,lol

good write up and glad you will live to ride another day,heal fast!!!!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Thanks for the post and I'm also glad you weren't hurt worse, although on a pain factor, broken ribs are way up there on the scale.

It's always funny to me when someone suggests you should try to "low side" when you crash. From my experience (which is a total of one wreck) if I would have had time to select the best crash angle I would have had time to avoid the crash. To anyone out there thinking "I'll just lay her down when the time comes" I really hope that isn't your plan of escape. I high sided off my Wing so fast I didn't even realize I was off the bike until about the 3rd bounce off the asphalt.

I also agree with Bubba1 and satkins, a riding jacket probably wouldn't have saved the ribs. The shoulder pad might have saved the collar bone but probably not.

Again, glad you're OK and thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Every now and then a lapse in judgment catches up to each of us. I guess my turn was last Wednesday.
Thank you for your honesty..
.. and not blaming the painted white lines or sand or whatever.

My utmost respect to you for manning up and taking responsibility.
:bow:

... not sure what you need but I've got two saddlebags (orange)
and some rear guards and some other stuff if you need it.

.. sorry, no "spare ribs" ...

Dennis

·
Registered
424 Posts
been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

put a glass of water and your pain meds by the bed. take one a half hour before you get out of bed. Amazing how hard asphalt is from only 3 feet away.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts