GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a thread on Radar detectors...and this came to my mind......How many tickets have you had,,,what were they for ..and how much did they cost you ????????

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
None! :D Cause I haven't been caught yet :yes:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Lets see...Last year I had Tickets to see Joe Cocker, Cirque Du Soliel, ummm..opps I think I have the wrong idea...hehehe

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
One, for expired vehicle inspection sticker on my Honda CB500 back in 74.

It had been expired for 2 days. Florida Highway Patrol is hard core. :lol:

Dep

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Dep said:
One, for expired vehicle inspection sticker on my Honda CB500 back in 74.

It had been expired for 2 days. Florida Highway Patrol is hard core. :lol:

Dep
Too bad you didn't have a shield back then. :drive1:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
When I was younger, (a lot).. I had my fair share.. I usually got at least one a year until I finally wised up. They were all in a car. That is the reason my dad would never tolerate a motorcycle in the garage. (probably a good move on dads part)

I do not and will not own a radar detector. If I am speeding I will know it and if I get stopped and fined I will pay the fine. Plain and simple. If anyone is using a radar detector and gets caught they deserve whatever they are given. JMHO...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got 4 tickets all before I turned 21. That was 46 years ago.Not one of the tickets for more than 45 mph.The ironic part is I've been stopped doing more than twice that and never got a ticket. I've occasionally had the bike around 100, but that was usually getting away from those large groups of cages that have to travel in packs covering all the lanes at once.

Doug

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Jan, depending on the FHP officer, having a badge may not have helped. :lol:

Dep

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I now have a radar detector... the only ticket I have ever been issued
was for 1 (yes - one ) mile over the speed limit.. and it was in Cutoff,La
they are notorious for writing tickets.. its the way they make money for their backward town... they have been in the newspaper for their
strick enforcement... or should I say... REVENUE SHARING.. you pay.. they share...

cosmic

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I have had two speeding tickets since '76

In '76 I got a ticket, on a Honda 350, for going 36 in a 35 :twisted:

in '90 I got a ticket in Penn state (in a Honda civic ) for going 75.5MPH in 55 zone......... I was caught by "AERIAL OBSERVATION", They had to use a plane to catch me :lol: the good news was, I was actually slowing down from passing a bunch of cars and a semi.

Last year I got stopped for speeding, but I managed to talk the trooper into a "failure to obey a traffic device" ticket.........

TBB* got a speeding ticket about 7 months ago, $55 fine, $150 surcharge, and a $300 penalty for having 6 points on her license.

Now in NYS, the troopers have ORDERS, to not negotiate with motorists anymore ( like I did) and they are no longer allowed reduce the speed you were traveling.

In NY the speeding ticket ain't no big deal, the surcharge and penalties will kill you

Surcharge & Penalty: the Governments lingo for "we can legally steal your money, just because we can"

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If I wrote one for 1mph over, I'd get laughed off the department. We don't write for less than 5 due to speedo errors.

Besides, there are more than enough folks running 15 and above over the limit to write, rather than mess with 5 over.

Dep

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Dep said:
If I wrote one for 1mph over, I'd get laughed off the department. We don't write for less than 5 due to speedo errors.Dep
Ya well you should have seen the judges reaction when he saw a ticket for 1 mile over. He smiled at me and said "is this correct?" I said "no sir, I believe me speedo said 35mph"

He said "really?, that will 10 bucks, pay the clerk"

I just stared at the judge, he said "problem"

I said "well ya, prove to me that your cop cars speedo's are any more accurate than any other car on the road. Basically the police in this town spend the majority of there time speeding"

The judge said "I'm feeling generous tonight, pay the 10 bucks and I won't throw you in jail for contempt"

I rolled my eyes and headed for the clerk. the judge got REAL annoyed and said "did you just roll your eyes at me"

I said "yes, That 10 bucks is 2 days worth of work, which means I ain't going to eat tonight cause I have rent to pay. Over something that not even you are that perfect at. 10 bucks may not be a lot of money to you but to me, it's a lot. If that annoys you I appologize but when your sitting at home tonight chowing down on a nice thick steak, Think of me eating a bag of chips and P&J sandwich"

The judge just said "pay the clerk and go home before I change my mind"

I left the A-hole sitting behind his bench, I hope he sleep like crap that night :twisted:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Lets see...in cars:
lots of parking tickets...not even funny...that was in high school.
Got a ticket for damage to government property when I was T-boned and knocked over a stop sign (my fault).
one speeding ticket.
Ran a stop light in Vegas towing 2000lbs...light changed faster than I thought and I was fined over 300 bucks; something which i later found out could have been turned into a 2 dollar parking ticket! argh.

no ticket, but got dinked over by the NV DMV for taking my bike off insurance for 2 weeks and locking it up in storage because I couldn't afford it. They wanted something around 250-300 bucks I believe. Never paid it off, just left the state.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dang J-Mac..if nothing else, you are one straight forward rascal..LOL.

I'm not sure how long ago this was, but I know our speedos are certified every 6 months.

I still can't get over that ticket, 1 mph over. Good grief.

Dep

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Dep said:
Dang J-Mac..if nothing else, you are one straight forward rascal..LOL.

I'm not sure how long ago this was, but I know our speedos are certified every 6 months.

I still can't get over that ticket, 1 mph over. Good grief.

Dep
1975, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth :lol: :lol: it was in the town of Brighton ( the southern part of Rochester, one of the "rich" sections) they were notorious for hating bikers, they seem to have lightened up a little since then :roll:

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I got a speeding ticket in my driveway when I was 17. I had a Suzuki 500 and my friend was in a 70's Dodge Colt as I recall. We were stopped at the bottom of the hill in the subdivision to my parents house and he said his car was quicker than my bike. Silly guy...

When we got to my house, which was less than a 1/4 mile from where we began, there was a cop behind him. I pulled into the garage, went inside and told my parents Keith was outside getting a ticket. My Dad and I walked out and the first thing the cop said is, "Where's the one on the bike?". My Dad said "Shuck" and went inside.

Cop said we were going faster, but wrote us for 35 in a 25. To this day I don't know where he came from and how he could have paced us in that short of a distance.

·
Registered
547 Posts
No moving violations since 1968, though I was stopped many years ago by a Washington State Police officer while I was riding my old Honda 750. He pulled me over, and started chatting with me about what a beautiful day it was for a ride. After a few minutes, I realized he wasn't going to ticket me, partly because he only seemed to want to talk about motorcycles, and partly because I wasn't doing anything illegal.
I finally asked why he'd stopped me, and he told me that he was going off shift in an hour and was trying to think of a place to go ride his bike. He merely wanted to see where I was going, so he could get an idea for a ride.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Two in the last twenty years of law-enforcement (my job). I don't show a badge and I don't tell them (the on-duty officer) what I do for a profession. If they would give someone else a verbal warning then I expect the same. If they would write someone else then I expect the same.

Both were speeding tickets and both were paid (I had them coming :oops: ).

I've been good for the last 13 years. :lol:

Paul H.

By the way, I DON'T stop, let alone write for anything less than 6 over and normally don't write for less than 10 over, but that's just me :D

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
First ticket, 1968, loud pipes on my Honda 305, had it a month and cut the muffler off the read of the pipes, Yeah, I was cool :lol: :lol:

2nd, 1976, speeding, and I was....KSP, 72 in a 55 mph, I was on my local police department, never showed the badge, never said anything ( not that he wanted to talk anyway :D ) took my ticket, sent the money to the county judge.

I've been somewhat good since then, oh I speed now and then and if I get one, I'll just chuck it up to all the times I should have had one and didn't get caught :wink:

I've always said attitude gets people a ticket more than anything....

·
Registered
19,442 Posts
35 yrs of driving= about 5 tickets
20 yrs on bikes=none

I speed much more on a bike- I don't know why the difference??

1 - 20 of 53 Posts