GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to buy a2004 wing with 77000 Klms. when it idles I hear a random ticking sound. It does not follow a rhythm, it sounds like an exhaust tick that you get when you turn off the bike, but its at idle. I listened by the valve covers but it sounds more like its just behind the valve covers under the bike. It seems to run perfect.

Any ideas would be great. I do not know the service history, old owner has no paperwork to show.

Does it sound safe to buy it?

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Injectors ?

Reactions: Art H. and revrunt

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
More than likely, as Uncle John suggests, it’s the injectors. Very common, but absolutely no problem...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would have to say injectors also. My 02 has ticked from day one.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
It just made me nervous because it had no rhythm. It was like an exhaust or chain tick
WELL YOU ARE IN CANADA !! PROBABLY JUST THAT " FRENCH ACCENT" :wink2::grin2:

Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
I am looking to buy a2004 wing with 77000 Klms. when it idles I hear a random ticking sound. It does not follow a rhythm, it sounds like an exhaust tick that you get when you turn off the bike, but its at idle. I listened by the valve covers but it sounds more like its just behind the valve covers under the bike. It seems to run perfect.

Any ideas would be great. I do not know the service history, old owner has no paperwork to show.

Does it sound safe to buy it?
Many have no service history other then new tires, oil and filter, and brakes when needed. Most 5th gens are clean and shinny, and that's about it. Usually the onwer will say "it's been garage kept, and well cared for." That means it got shined a lot.

As for your ticking noise, is it loudest at the back of the left valve cover, and kind of tinny ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many have no service history other then new tires, oil and filter, and brakes when needed. Most 5th gens are clean and shinny, and that's about it. Usually the onwer will say "it's been garage kept, and well cared for." That means it got shined a lot.

As for your ticking noise, is it loudest at the back of the left valve cover, and kind of tinny ???
I found that is was not tinny. Vey much like an exhaust sounding tick when a v twin is cooling off after a ride. Where I noticed it to be coming from is the underside of the motor behind the valve cover. Kind of where the foot peg location just a bit in front. The owner took off the chrome cover on the right side and just shrugged his shoulders and said not sure.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
I found that is was not tinny. Vey much like an exhaust sounding tick when a v twin is cooling off after a ride. Where I noticed it to be coming from is the underside of the motor behind the valve cover. Kind of where the foot peg location just a bit in front. The owner took off the chrome cover on the right side and just shrugged his shoulders and said not sure.
Has the bike sat for any length of time ???

Can you capture the noise in a video, post it on YouTube, and post the link here ???

Hint: Before posting the vid, listen to it first. If you cannot hear the noise in the vid, no one else can either.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If you're uncomfortable, walk away. There are a lot of wings out there and to my knowledge they will all have a ticking sound. Possibly a different ticking but probably the same. Newcomers to the wing often notice the injectors. There are six of them and it's not that common for a moto engine to be quiet enough to hear them.

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're uncomfortable, walk away. There are a lot of wings out there and to my knowledge they will all have a ticking sound. Possibly a different ticking but probably the same. Newcomers to the wing often notice the injectors. There are six of them and it's not that common for a moto engine to be quiet enough to hear them.

Richard
Hi Richard. I think the best is to go look at another one and see if it has a similar tick. His bike is the cheapest one I could find but it does need a lot of polishing to bring it back. For a bike with 77000 kms or 45000 miles it has seen some bad weathering on the front half. It looks real nice in pictures but up close she is faded. I am only really curious if the tick is normal. Is there anything else to look for?
My dealer said to check the front forks for wear and seal issues and the steering head bearings by turning the handlebar with no weight on them. He said those are the 2 biggest things that really cost on the wing.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
If you don’t hear it on another bike (or even if you do) , it could be that missing 10mm 1/4 drive socket, or a lost bolt/screw/fastener rattling around down there. It would be nice to get the service history on it. Brake recall been done? And something left loose? I’d learn on YouTube what the ADG sounds like, and go from there. Good luck.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
Hi Richard. I think the best is to go look at another one and see if it has a similar tick. His bike is the cheapest one I could find but it does need a lot of polishing to bring it back. For a bike with 77000 kms or 45000 miles it has seen some bad weathering on the front half. It looks real nice in pictures but up close she is faded. I am only really curious if the tick is normal. Is there anything else to look for?
My dealer said to check the front forks for wear and seal issues and the steering head bearings by turning the handlebar with no weight on them. He said those are the 2 biggest things that really cost on the wing.
That sounds like a bike that has been stored outside ... possibly under a carport. As for the noise, 5th gens have several normal engine noises, and all those noises can have varying degree of loudness. The noise could easily be normal.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My '06 has ticked since I've had it. Where abouts are you in Alberta? If you're near Edmonton you're welcome to come and hear mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts