GL1800Riders Forums banner

Ticking noise

6K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  jryan19 
#1 ·
I am sure this has as already been covered but I couldn't find a thread. I rode about 300 miles today. Came home parked the bike to eat dinner. Went back out to put it in the garage and noticed a slight ticking coming from the valve cover area. Any thoughts or concerns. Changed oil about 500 mile ago. Honda semi synthetic.

#7 ·
Before long you won't even notice it.....like a Singer sewing machine.....just ride and smile!

#10 ·
Because of clearances needed for mechanical lifters and tappets, the engine will usually make more noise than a motor with hydraulic lifters, this is normal unless excessively loud. The fact that the engine is mostly exposed and that you probably wasn't wearing a helmet when you went to put it away probably made you more aware of it. I would really worry about it if the engine wasn't making these noises, because it would probably mean that your valves were too tight.

#11 ·
My 2018 Goldwing tour also exhibits a fairly loud ticking noise coming from the right side (The left side is as quiet a a church mouse) starting about 3-5 minutes after a cold start. The noise seems to diminish somewhat as the engine reaches full operating temperature. I've checked the valve clearances and they are all in spec.

What side is the ticking noise coming from on yours? Most of the threads that I've read about this indicate that the ticking noise is coming from the right side. In my opinion if the left side does not make any ticking noises then there is no reason for the right side to tick either assuming that all of the valves are in spec. If you do a search there is a video that someone recorded and posted of the ticking noise on theirs (Right Side). Mine is not quite as loud as the one in the video, but it is much louder than what I would consider normal.

Years ago I had a Corvette that I bought new that had a loud tapping noise coming from the rear of the engine on the left bank. The dealer replaced the pushrods, rocker arms and lifters, but the noise still persisted. While attending the National Corvette Homecoming, I had the opportunity to speak with a rep from the Flint Michigan engine plant and he was familiar with the problem. He said that they had a batch of defective cams that were ground to the wrong profile and that was causing the noise. Once they sent the new cam to my dealer and it was installed, the issue was resolved.

I'm wondering if this could be the problem here???? It seems strange that the majority of users who are complaining about tapping noises are reporting the noise from the right side.

There is also 1 case that I am aware of where a valve shim may have fallen out on the right side causing "Catastrophic Engine Failure" as reported by Cruiseman on a friends 2018 Goldwing. There is a video that described the issue and a sound clip of the noise. He was going to report what caused the failure and what parts were replaced, but so far there has been nothing more on this subject.

Joe

#15 ·
JMO but I hardly consider that a “catastrophic” engine failure. The crankshaft didn’t break, nor did a conn rod break and go through the engine cases. A gear didn’t break and take out the transmission. All of these things I would consider a “catastrophic” engine failure.

Yes it is a failure.

:doorag:

#12 ·
The noise was from the right side with engine at idle. To someone else's point I did have my helmet off so I may have just noticed it more. My plan is to ride on and enjoy! I think i am going back to the honda dino oil after reading about different concerns with synthetic and synthetic blends.

#13 ·
After riding my 18 Tour DCT for a while, and it is hot, if I stop and listen to the engine, sometimes it sounds like a little diesel engine with all the rattling going on inside.
I guess that is the clutches and gears rattling.
It is not very quiet while idling that's for sure.

#22 ·
Thanks for the note Fred:

"I've heard this ticking on several 2018 bikes, and personally I'm not concerned by it. I believe it is inherent in Honda Uni-Cam head design."

I chased this for a month or so, and it's just part of the bike. I changed from Synthetic oil to regulate GN4, I checked my Exhaust manifold bolts, I checked the vales and brought all the exhaust's to center spec, I pulled the cam tensioners and checked them, I played with oil level, everything was good, the bike just ticks sometimes from the right side, it's just it's "Happy Sound" :)

Everyday I ride the bike I smile and feel this is the best Goldwing yet made, I would not go back to the Gen5. I love the engine and engine modes, the new handling is superb, this is a great bike!!!

-Jim

#25 ·
I had my bike in for the 24k valve check and I asked the dealer to diagnose this ticking sound while it was there. They didn't have an answer. I was told to just keep an eye on it. The video is after the valve adjustment.
3 exhaust valves on the right were at .005. They adjusted them to .004.

Guess this is normal.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Mine ticks on the right side when cold. When it warms up the ticking gets quieter. But sometimes still has a slight tick on the right side. Has not gotten any louder in 11,000 miles. Runs great ! After reading Fred's post and others I am not worried about it at all. Getting around 46 mpg and the torque is strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.