GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaving on a trip to southern Mississippi from St. Louis, Mo next week and will be trailering 2 GL 1800s. I was wondering what tie down points to use as I have never trailered my bike before.

·
Young Buck
2,569 Posts
Take a look here for some ideas. It is for my old bike, but most of the info still applies.

http://pc_800.tripod.com/trailering.html

On the GL1800, I run soft ties over the top of the triple trees and use those straps to get most of the strapping power.

Here's two pictures of my GL1800 when I brought it home last winter.

Very little pressure was put on the straps on the handlebars. I didn't have a wheel chock, and only put those there to keep the bars and front wheel steady.

I'll be trailering the bike down to the dealer to get some work done on it this coming Monday, I'll try to remember to take some better pictures then.[/url]

·
Young Buck
2,569 Posts
old coot said:
Mike, in the March issue of Wing World on page 76 it tells you how to tie down the gold wing. It is not that hard. Good Luck, JIM
Sorry to state what should be obvious, but not everyone is a member of GWRRA and/or gets Wing World. :oops:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Tie down points mentioned in Wing World were soft ties to:

:forks above triple tree
:frame (remove side covers)
:subframe and bag guards together

Use tie downs attached to these soft ties. The ones from sub frame and bag guards should angle backward, the other points should angle forward.

Start with bike on side stand, then straighten up with tiedowns, then put up sidestand.

Leave bike in gear, (or reverse) and lock forks if you don't have a front wheel chock

They mentioned that bikes come tied down by guards in crate, but they don't take as much shock in crates as they do bouncing in trailer, and if you use guards they will break.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
These tips were posted by Allen Smith of Tulsa Enterprises on another board, and the same tips are in the March 04 issue of Wing World.

Remove the side covers,attach a soft tie to the frame on each side, hook a strap to each strap and pull forward and out, attach a soft tie to the around the fork tube-over the lower triple clamp-attach the tie downs to these and pull out and down on these, attach another set of soft ties around both the bag guards and sub frame on each side, it is important to get the tie over the sub frame and not just the bag guard, because it WILL BREAK!! )We know of several that have.) These tie downs will pull out and to the rear.

Do NOT use the seat handles, they have rubber grommets in the seat with a collar through it, the bolts screw into the aluminum frame, they are designed for the passenger to hold on to or to assist in placing the bike on the center stand.

Be sure the motorcycle is standing straight up and if you don't have a wheel chock, tie the front tire to keep it from turning.

We use this method to transport our bikes to 12-15 rallies a year and have been using this method for a number of years and tens of thousands of miles a year, it works and does not damage the bike as can happen if not properly secured. We can't afford to have it move, we only have about 2 inches between the mirrors and the aluminum windshield cabinets in our trailer.

Ride Safe
Allen Smith of Tulsa Ent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts