GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
NOT the crash bars! They are held on by small bolts, which can break under too much stress or tension. Don't ask me how I know this. For the front, loop over the triple tree on both sides & pull forward and to the side. On the rear, remove the rear most side covers and loop over the sub frame and pull to the sides or slightly toward the rear. Google it and you will find the correct way, you will also see the wrong way.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
NOT the crash bars! They are held on by small bolts, which can break under too much stress or tension. Don't ask me how I know this. For the front, loop over the triple tree on both sides & pull forward and to the side. On the rear, remove the rear most side covers and loop over the sub frame and pull to the sides or slightly toward the rear. Google it and you will find the correct way, you will also see the wrong way.
I may add to above go and buy some 12" to 14 " × 1" double loop straps a loop at each eND . Use thease to loop over tree as stated above also remove side covers and loop over the frame member JUST UNDER THE SEAT. THEN use loop end to strap to deck. I when on the auto train once and they had you drive into a deck with a piece of channel in the floor and the front and rear tire when in the channel . They tied the front and that was it good to go . We added rear straps butv tell u the truth they were not needed

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just ran the rope through the crash bars and snugged them up. Then I grabbed the handle bar and gave it a push/pull. It seemed stable so I called it good. In the morning it was jus as I left it.

The pic is on the ferry from Argentina Newfoundland to Sydney nova scotia. We had 4.6 meter waves that night. The crew said the ferry won't run if the waves are over 5 meters. Even though my wife got a bit sea sick (along with a lot of other passengers) It has not deterred her in the least from looking forward to another ferry ride to vancouver Island this year. I have never tied the bike down on any of the BC ferries.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Kurt's crutch

will help alot in this situation.
I used it extensively when we traveled to Alaska, and carry it to this day on the bike.
Also, several of the ferry had blocks for motorcycles...slide under the sides
I had soft ties for the triple tree and the frame under the sidecovers. easy to put on and take off.
hope this helps
bryon

Attachments

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
What JJ said!! The crash bars will break off!! Yeah, I know, there are 20 of you that will come on and say you’ve done it and it was fine, but I had to help pick one up off the ground after it fell off the trailer because the thin aluminum I beam subframe that bolts onto the motor and holds the crash bar broke completely in two...

Just my 2c....

:thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
It’s a ferry ride, not Deadliest Catch. Snug it up to either the triple trees or the crash bar. You are just trying to stop the bike from sliding fore and aft and from falling over the opposite side to its natural lean. Anchors away!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts