GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
so that tie rod isn't right...it happens with every massed produced part from time to time...instead of posting a video on Youtube it should have been reported to Traxxion and Max would have shipped out a replacement that same day.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
so that tie rod isn't right...it happens with every massed produced part from time to time...instead of posting a video on Youtube it should have been reported to Traxxion and Max would have shipped out a replacement that same day.
Why?

Traxxions response to a misadjusted Honda steering was to post a video claiming Honda was crap, rather than finding out how it was supposed to be adjusted.

Good for the goose. good for the gander.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
Why?

Traxxions response to a misadjusted Honda steering was to post a video claiming Honda was crap, rather than finding out how it was supposed to be adjusted.

My OEM tie rod was out of spec at 4400 miles...5 mm of play. There is no way to adjust the Honda tie rods..if wore out of spec you replace them.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Your very first post, and it is a complaint about an aftermarket part. No sound except a squeak when turning the threaded end. Only movement I saw was skin on the finger and thumb moving around. What is it supposed to look like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why?

My OEM tie rod was out of spec at 4400 miles...5 mm of play. There is no way to adjust the Honda tie rods..if wore out of spec you replace them.
Original tie rod ends costs 25$ each. Traxxion seems eternal - 200$

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you don’t want to pay the price Traxxion is asking, don’t.

I haven’t bought any Traxxion products, but if I need to some day, I just might. I think Max has done lots for goldwing riders and I appreciate all he has done. Your in America, you don’t have to buy from him. I feel sorry for merchants selling products when purchasers don’t deal with them when something isn’t right, only after nothing is corrected should anyone feel the need to make video or complain on social media.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Any company can look good if they never have anything go wrong. It is when they do have something that is not right that they get a chance to shine. We have Traxxion and Gold Strike that both bend over backwards to take care of the customer. They are not the only ones.
When something goes wrong give the company a chance to make it right before spouting off about how bad they are.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Aloha Volga,

There is always a chance that a defective part will show up from time to time with anything you purchase.
It's happened to me lots of times. That's why I buy my TV's and electrical goodies from Costco. They will take it back if you're not satisfied and give you a refund.
That is good business, customer satisfaction is number one with most businesses like Costco and I'm sure Traxxion would be included. They want you happy and to be a repeat customer.
IMHO, Max should have been given the opportunity to make it right with you before you gave his product a bad review like that on You Tube.
Yours is the first Traxxion tie rod failure that I've heard of. It might be of more value to everyone here on the forum including Max, if you gave more information like date purchased and mileage of bike since tie rod was installed.
This forum is a family of riders and vendors that are here to help each other out, whether sharing good experiences, venting on bad experiences (in your case) or just sharing helpful information.
Whether this turns out to be the first of many Traxxion tie rod failures or just an isolated case, it would be beneficial for Max to get a response from you, so he can keep track of all the data that comes in from here and allow Max to inspect the defective tie rod on cause of failure. This is beneficial to all of us. Max can get information to better his product if the info warrants and we get a better product for our bikes. Win win.
But most of all, it will give him a chance to remedy the situation with you.
Good luck with how you further handle this situation.

PS: I had my stock tie rod installed while Traxxion installed the full suspension mod at their shop. My thinking was, I did not want to fool with going in on a warranty claim every so many miles for a worn stock tie rod, even though there would be no cost for the part being under warranty. It was my time that I was concerned about, I just want to ride. Thanks to you Volga, I will now inspect my Traxxion tie rod for symptoms such as you have where I probably wouldn't have even looked at it unless I had some kind of bad steering symptoms.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Aloha Volga,

There is always a chance that a defective part will show up from time to time with anything you purchase.
It's happened to me lots of times. That's why I buy my TV's and electrical goodies from Costco. They will take it back if you're not satisfied and give you a refund.
That is good business, customer satisfaction is number one with most businesses like Costco and I'm sure Traxxion would be included. They want you happy and to be a repeat customer.
IMHO, Max should have been given the opportunity to make it right with you before you gave his product a bad review like that on You Tube.
Yours is the first Traxxion tie rod failure that I've heard of. It might be of more value to everyone here on the forum including Max, if you gave more information like date purchased and mileage of bike since tie rod was installed.
This forum is a family of riders and vendors that are here to help each other out, whether sharing good experiences, venting on bad experiences (in your case) or just sharing helpful information.
Whether this turns out to be the first of many Traxxion tie rod failures or just an isolated case, it would be beneficial for Max to get a response from you, so he can keep track of all the data that comes in from here and allow Max to inspect the defective tie rod on cause of failure. This is beneficial to all of us. Max can get information to better his product if the info warrants and we get a better product for our bikes. Win win.
But most of all, it will give him a chance to remedy the situation with you.
Good luck with how you further handle this situation.

PS: I had my stock tie rod installed while Traxxion installed the full suspension mod at their shop. My thinking was, I did not want to fool with going in on a warranty claim every so many miles for a worn stock tie rod, even though there would be no cost for the part being under warranty. It was my time that I was concerned about, I just want to ride. Thanks to you Volga, I will now inspect my Traxxion tie rod for symptoms such as you have where I probably wouldn't have even looked at it unless I had some kind of bad steering symptoms.
Kind of hard to hear of any issues if customers only contact Traxxion without posting it or doing a video.......
Sure Max won't say anything about a failed part(s) he sells.

I see nothing wrong with posting a video like that as long as they also contacted Traxxion and posted the response/outcome to the issue.

Volga,
Did you contact Traxxion?
What's their response?
Whats the outcome?

Only fair to post a followup....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Honda's tie rod is guaranteed to eventually fail because of how it is made. They may be well greased with boots, but there is a nylon slider that will get worn causing extra play. The big question is when will it fail. For a more aggressive rider, it may fail quickly; for a trike conversion (2 rear), it may fail quickly. That is why there is an aftermarket replacement that is designed for longevity in those two conditions.

Not giving the manufacture a chance to correct a problem is just being a bad consumer. If the manufacture refuses to talk to you or even consider that a defective part made it out to the public; then a post similar to this would be more justified. Note that I said "similar", as in it would also give manufacture response and lack of action. The only lack of action here is on the part of the buyer. I currently am in the middle of a part issue that I am not going to say anything about here because I contacted the manufacture first about the problem. I new part is on the way to resolve the issue. Once I get the replacement, I can then inspect the new part and see if all is well now or need to do something else. Once everything is made good, I may post the success story. But for right now, it is only between me and the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Your bike is still under warranty. Not sure why your messing with buying aftermarket parts when Honda would probably replace them for free if they were out of tolerance.
While that is true I would have to make an appointment just for them to check it out which I'm sure would mean the bike stays there overnight. And guess what we don't stock that so repeat the whole process. My tie rod was out of spec at 5500 miles so I just bought the Traxxion unit, once and done.

Reactions: saafrican

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
From what I can see, it just looks like it needs to be screwed back in and tightened up. I don't think there is actually anything wrong with it.
Yes, that's how it looked to me too. A loose screw. But to be fair, if that's what it is, it shouldn't ever come loose on such a critical component. If it came right out there'd be a complete loss of steering. :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yes, that's how it looked to me too. A loose screw. But to be fair, if that's what it is, it shouldn't ever come loose on such a critical component. If it came right out there'd be a complete loss of steering. :22yikes:
That is what the other tie rod is for.

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
OK, I forgot about the wobbly one. But would you really find it acceptable to suddenly find yourself riding with a floppy, rubbery tie rod?
No I would not it is only meant as a failsafe.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.